News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Bandon Dunes to host 2011 Men & Women's Pub Links Championship
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 05:42:07 PM »
Old Macdonald is right around 7200 yards on the scorecard, and there are a couple of tees that aren't included in that.  It's plenty long for any amateur event ... especially when you consider the wind.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 07:23:32 PM »
Pete - I arrive in Bandon next Friday - I can't seem to IM you - send me a note if you are still going to be around - maybe we can grab a pint?

Brent Carlson

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 07:53:04 PM »
Thanks JVB - That makes sense.  I'm also one of those people who want less exposure for BD, but alas, the cat's out of the bag.

Does anyone know how the host courses do financially with these amateur events?

Typically the course will need to raise between 250,000 and 500,000 for a US Mid-Amateur.  This is usually done by getting variuos sponsors to put up the cash.   There is usually no admission charge.  I'm not sure what the USGA pays for food but breakfasts, lunches and a couple of dinners are usually provided at the club at no charge to the players and volunteers.  The club normally makes little money from the event (some clothing sales and some food/alcohol).

A resort like Bandon does get to sell a lot of hotel rooms, usually at a discount over their normal prices.  This means that Bandon would be losing some money on the rooms as well as the tee times at two courses for the week.

You don't run USGA amateur events to make money.

How long will Old Mac be from the tips?  Given the men's field at the US APL is typically almost as strong as the Amateur, I think they might have to use Bandon Dunes just for the length.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back