News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nicholas Coppolo

Spring Lake or Tallgrass for out of towners?
« on: June 16, 2009, 07:14:08 AM »
Have a buddy coming up from Texas for the Open.

We're playing Deepdale this afternoon.

We are going to BB tomorrow morning and are looking to play public in the afternoon. 

I'm thinking Tallgrass because I've played it so much, but I've heard good things about Spring Lake.  Preferences or other suggestions within 30-45 minutes from BB?

Also we're playing 36 on Friday.  I wanted him to see Links at Unionvale so we play there in the morning.  Any suggestions for the afternoon round?  I had thought Garrison b/c its close and on the way back to the city but I am totally open for suggestions.....Pound Ridge excluded (too expensive).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Matt_Ward

Re: Spring Lake or Tallgrass for out of towners?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 06:54:16 PM »
Nicholas:

Head over to Oyster Bay in Woodbury -- just up the Seaford / Oyster Bay Expressway from Bethpage State Park. Good TF layout that is designed on a former estate -- the clubhouse is the former home. Good combination of holes -- the uphill 4th is well done. Ditto the final trio of holes.

Sunker Meadow is another option. If you head up to the Sands Point area you can play the Hurdzan Harbor layout there.

David Mulle

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 07:01:43 PM »
If you don't feel like playing Tallgrass again, I'd go with Matt's suggestion on this one.

I like Spring Lake.  It is a perfectly fine course but there is very little memorable about it and  I don't think it is your best public option for someone coming from out of town.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 07:04:50 PM »
What about the remains of Timber Point?

There is still enuff Alison there to get the sense of what it once was and it's also restorable, albeit probably politically impossible.

David Mulle

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 07:38:02 PM »
I'm probably going to have my LI golfer card pulled away from me for asking this, but is Timber Point the county course that is down by the water on the south shore?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 07:45:19 PM »
I'm probably going to have my LI golfer card pulled away from me for asking this, but is Timber Point the county course that is down by the water on the south shore?

Hi David...how's things?

It's one of them, yes.    But you might be thinking of Lido?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 10:07:39 PM »
Nicholas:

Head over to Oyster Bay in Woodbury -- just up the Seaford / Oyster Bay Expressway from Bethpage State Park. Good TF layout that is designed on a former estate -- the clubhouse is the former home. Good combination of holes -- the uphill 4th is well done. Ditto the final trio of holes.

Sunker Meadow is another option. If you head up to the Sands Point area you can play the Hurdzan Harbor layout there.

Matt is drinking toooooo much muni juice on this post. Long Island National, Montauk (long drive) and Island's End (1 hole on LI Sound).

Nicholas Coppolo

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 10:46:16 PM »
Thanks all,  decided they need to play Tallgrass....its just too fun and interesting, and a known quantity. 

I have also heard many things about oyster bay, I need to check that out.

David Mulle

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
Nicholas:

Matt is drinking toooooo much muni juice on this post. Long Island National, Montauk (long drive) and Island's End (1 hole on LI Sound).

Mike,
Good call with both Long Island National and especially Island's End.  But me thinks that none of those options are all that feasible if he is spending the morning at Bethpage.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 01:10:35 PM »
Casperkill CC in Poughkeepsie, NY is an option for a second  Friday course.  RTJ SR. course built in the mid 1940's, formely the IBM CC for the IBM employees only - solid early RTJ Sr.

Chris

BCyrgalis

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 01:59:47 PM »
Nick--

Matt is dead on with Oyster Bay.  It's tight and has some really interesting (and tough) holes, despite it's lack of length (6,400).  And, hey, if we're drinking muni juice, how about the Red course out at Eisenhower.  That's the new venue for the LI Champions Tour event every year now (as well as the site of the 1926 PGA) - a old Emmet design that's may not be the toughest test but is real fun.  And one more (I think Matt might have mentioned it) is Harbor Links in Port Washington - I think Matt just called it the Hurdzan Harbor.  It's a memorable tract, really unique, almost-desert feel to it.

As for the suggestions of Timber Point and Lido, I think both of those links-style, on-the-water courses are great, too.  Lido isn't C.B. Macdonald's "The Lido" of the turn of the century (that defunct site is across the street), but it's a interesting RTJ layout on Reynolds Channel.  And Timber Point has some really great holes, a lot of them left over from the original Alison design - make sure you play the Blue-White combo and leave out the Red nine (it's 27 holes).  I think both courses have previous threads about their history, with are both completely fascinating.   

Long Island has a ton of great public courses, and, although Spring Lake is alright, there's a ton of better options.  Enjoy.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Mike S:

The issue with this thread -- in the event you missed it -- was to have quality public course options that are NEARBY to Bethpage. Montauk is almost closer to Dublin than Bethpage ! ;D

I'd still recommend Oyster Bay and the Hurdzan Harbor layout in Sands Point. Both of my choices are 30 minutes tops.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back