News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re: Ballyneal's 8th Green.
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 12:17:34 PM »

I picked up the idea from some of Dr. MacKenzie's wilder greens ... making the green a series of bowls rather than tiers.  It works particularly well in sand dunes where everything is either a dune or a bowl; that is why it fits in so well in the pictures.

Interesting, since I immediately thought of Mackenzie's 9th green at Cypress Point Club and its long, uninterrupted slope as a contrasting design approach.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 12:18:32 PM »
Tom H,

I've thought about Mikes original question, and I'm not sure either description fits.

To me it seems more "complimentary" in nature which in my mind is different than either mimicking or competing.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 12:23:42 PM »
Mike:

Yes, the ninth at Cypress Point is definitely the other side of the coin.  But look at the old pictures of Sitwell Park ... or the 2nd or 6th or 11th greens at Crystal Downs.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 12:31:04 PM »
Ok you guys are confusing me again.... is it "freak out Huckaby" day?

9 CPC has a long uninterrupted slope?  Oh yeah?  Then what are those flat parts upper left and bottom right?

Hey, I get what you guys are saying about these green concepts... that's just an odd example (and several others on that course would be so much better as the contrast to 8 Ballyneal)... and Michael's initial question remains confusing.... to me anyway.

Please help.

;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 01:20:58 PM »
For comparisons sake, I thought I would post a pic of the famous sitwell park green,

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2009, 01:38:57 PM »
Kalen:

Thanks for posting that ... makes me seem pretty tame by comparison, doesn't it?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2009, 01:45:24 PM »
Kalen:

Thanks for posting that ... makes me seem pretty tame by comparison, doesn't it?

I would certainly think so....

Personally, I would absolutly love to play a course that had 18 greens like Sitwell.  Whenever I see that pic I think to myself, "I wish I could have had a crack at it"

The closest thing I've played to something like that is Indian Canyon...a few of the greens on that course are wild.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back