News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Poppy Hills
« on: June 03, 2009, 04:01:50 PM »
Whats the gca consensus on Poppy?

Good, bad, weird, ugly, fun, etc etc ??

Thanks.

Adam Clayman

Re: Poppy Hills
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 05:13:02 PM »
Consensus? Ha.  PH is a good course. Not up to snuff with some of it's neighbors. There arn't any great holes but as a whole it's fine. The course penalizes aggresive play. If one pays the ncga rate the course is a value. Off the street rate and one might consider pacific grove. Plus after any rain play either PG or fort ord. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

JohnV

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 05:42:55 PM »
Since Adam no longer lives out here, I will say that a lot has been done to improve drainage here over the last few years.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 05:48:35 PM »
If its such a bad course, why don't they bulldoze the place and start over with a new GCA?

Is the land not all that great to work with or something?
H.P.S.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 06:05:57 PM »
Pat,

Its been said many times before in here, but worth saying again.  Poppy Hills is not a bad course, far from it, IMO.

But the realities are that its oft compared to its neighbors which have set such high and lofty standards that it gets wrongfully dissed.  For NCGA members its a terrific value and the course does have its fair share of quality holes, its just tough to live up to the general awesomeness found on the rest of the penisula.

As a comparison, Spanish Bay often gets the redheaded step child treatment too which is baffling to me.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 06:11:54 PM »
If its such a bad course, why don't they bulldoze the place and start over with a new GCA?

They did in fact have another GCA look at rebuilding the course recently and decided against the idea.

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 06:44:30 PM »

They did in fact have another GCA look at rebuilding the course recently and decided against the idea.

Why is that? Because of the cost?
H.P.S.

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 07:37:43 PM »
The NCGA went out and got proposals for everything from small changes to a complete redesign of the course last year to look at the options.  In the end a number of changes were done including new tees, changing the 2nd hole from having two small greens into one larger one and some bunker work.  Some of this has been done and some will be done in the next year or two.  The work is being done in house with the oversight of Robert Trent Jones Jr.

The new second hole is much better.

Our board decided that given the state of the economy, it was definitely not a responsible option to do any major changes.  Some of the proposals were quite interesting though.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 09:19:54 PM »
John,

I liked what I saw of the course.  Unfortunately I had to stop after two holes because of a sharp pain in my wrist.  That's now been determined as a sprained wrist and a little broken bone in my thumb...so no playing for two weeks. :[  Good meeting you though, we'll have to meet up sometime this summer.

Everyone else,

Is it perhaps the neighborhood of golf courses that Poppy is in which makes it viewed upon as is?  I have a feeling if the course were in Washington it might be considered of higher regards.

Cheers,
Jordan

Mike Benham

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 09:59:23 PM »

Why is that? Because of the cost?

Let's remember that Poppy Hills is owned by the Northern California Golf Association, and it construction was one of the smartest things that a non-profit organization has ever done for its members.

Poppy Hills offers a low cost (for the area) alternative for its members to play, is a fine host site for many NCGA tournaments, is quite challenging to play and to the best of my knowledge, is profitable for the association.

It should not, as had been rumored, be modified to satisfy the demands fo the PGA Tour and the Professional Golfer. 

"... and I liked the guy ..."

J_ Crisham

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 10:02:25 PM »
Jordan,  Sorry to hear about the injury. I would submit that holes 5-18 of Spyglass are not terribly different than what you see at Poppy Hillls. I believe that Spyglass is a hell of a course but the opening stretch is the cream of the course. Poppy Hills was in great shape and fun to play last year at KP-the NCGA discount is a must though.       Jack

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 10:16:34 PM »
How much is the discount? And how much to play on a normal day for an outsider?

I'm just curious...what is it that the pros don't like about the course?
H.P.S.

Mike Benham

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 10:53:09 PM »

The internet is a wonderful thing, you can search!!! 

Go to google.com, type in Poppy Hills, click on the first item returned in the search ... http://www.poppyhillsgolf.com/play/ ... and you will find:

2009 Rates
Monday - Thursday    Rate
NCGA Member    $55
Industry/Association or Guest    $100
Public    $200

Friday - Sunday and Holidays    Rate
NCGA Member    $72
Industry/Association or Guest    $125
Public    $200

Golf Cars    Rate
Monday - Sunday & Holidays
(2009 golf car rate $18 per person)
Golf carts include free GPS    $36
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jordan Wall

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 10:59:10 PM »

Go to google.com, type in Poppy Hills, click on the first item returned in the search ... http://www.poppyhillsgolf.com/play/ ... and you will find:

2009 Rates
NCGA Member    $55
Public    $200

NCGA Member    $72
Public    $200

Golf Cars    Rate

I teed off for $25 at 4:30 today.

The service was top notch and highly commendable.  I was given a raincheck despite it being a high calibur course in prime location.  I thought that was pretty cool.

It's a very good deal.  I haven't seen every hole but after 2:00 I believe it's under $80 for the public.  Quite a deal.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 11:10:20 PM »
The NCGA went out and got proposals for everything from small changes to a complete redesign of the course last year to look at the options.  In the end a number of changes were done including new tees, changing the 2nd hole from having two small greens into one larger one and some bunker work.  Some of this has been done and some will be done in the next year or two.  The work is being done in house with the oversight of Robert Trent Jones Jr.

The new second hole is much better.

Our board decided that given the state of the economy, it was definitely not a responsible option to do any major changes.  Some of the proposals were quite interesting though.

The truth is some of the proposals were quite good and really could have done something special on that property.  RTJ JR. bitched and cried to anybody that would listen (which maybe what you have to do) and so the NCGA let him do this minor work.  He also did it for free from I'm told.

I don't think its dead and we'll see how the NCGA fares without the income from the AT&T over the next few years.

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 08:09:11 AM »

2009 Rates
NCGA Member    $55
Public    $200

NCGA Member    $72
Public    $200

Golf Cars    Rate

Sorry Mike...I should of googled.  ;D

That really is an awesome deal for NCGA members...and a rip off for non-members!
H.P.S.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 09:11:32 AM »
John, I assumed some drainage work was done, but, considering what Spy got for 6 million for their drainage work, I doubt the NCGA could spend enough to make the place drain properly throughout.

Are you saying they did and it does?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tom Yost

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 10:11:11 AM »

2009 Rates
NCGA Member    $55
Public    $200

NCGA Member    $72
Public    $200

Golf Cars    Rate

Sorry Mike...I should of googled.  ;D

That really is an awesome deal for NCGA members...and a rip off for non-members!

Please note that the NGCA offers an "Association Membership" for $25 to members of other state and regional golf associations.  If one wanted to play Poppy Hills, the extra 25 bucks would be well worth it.  I believe that there are discounts available at other courses as well (Pebble/Spanish Bay/Spyglass...?)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back