News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Smith

#7 at Old Mac
« on: May 26, 2009, 03:58:40 PM »
Another great video of Old Mac.

http://punchbowlgolf.com/2009/05/old-mac-7/

Good stuff.

Anthony Gray

Re: #7 at Old Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 04:10:51 PM »

Thanks Will....Keep 'em coming.

Anthony

Ben Sims

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 04:20:14 PM »
Man oh man!!  I had 170 left for my approach and the caddies had forgotten how much room there was on that shoulder behind the green on the bluff.  So my caddie says, "Ben, that's about 170, two club wind, two club hill, hit your 4.  That should do it."  I said, "Mike, I'm not catching this one clean and sending it to Japan, give me the 6." 

Needless to say, I had another shot from way back down at the bottom of that hill.  Well done Renaissance men!

Damon Groves

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 04:34:14 PM »
Had a 9 iron for my third shot and it comes in pretty shallow making it hard to not have your ball go to the back of the green. The green is huge and the view is spectacular. You then have the tee for number, the Biarritz and together are two great holes.

Jed Peters

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 04:37:23 PM »
I had flip lob wedge for my second shot--with a pin tucked over the big bunker on the right, Jim Urbina watching, and the Bandon Dunes Director of Golf instruction being safe on the green in two after hitting putter from 150.

Bladed wedge put me on the back of the green.

Boy, what a fantastic hole, from the drive to the second shot to the green.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 05:08:35 PM »
How long is the hole?  Is it a par 4 with tee shot down below and green up on top of the hill to that plateau?  Wow.  :o ;D

Will Smith

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 05:15:23 PM »
I don't know the yardage, but I do know that it is one of those holes that is very tough in the summer wind and probably a wedge in the winter. The landing area is a little back from where Tom and John start the interview from.

Getting close to left side seems to be the strategy for all but the front pins.

Emil Weber

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 05:19:10 PM »
One day... :'(

Jed Peters

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 05:53:14 PM »
I don't know the yardage, but I do know that it is one of those holes that is very tough in the summer wind and probably a wedge in the winter. The landing area is a little back from where Tom and John start the interview from.

Getting close to left side seems to be the strategy for all but the front pins.

Yeah, in the winter it was big high draw into the upslope, then lob wedge.

The Cape hole was GNARLY into the winter wind

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 06:22:05 PM »
A skyline green, next to the ocean, subject to wind seems like a spectacular combination.

What's interesting is how the hole/green evolved.

If it wasn't for the cold weaather clothes they're wearing I'd want to take the next plane to Bandon.

The hole looks like it's a lot of fun .... and challenging.

How large is the green ?  Sq/ft ? 

Does it have any internal contouring or slope that might be a consession to the wind ?

Jed Peters

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 06:28:55 PM »
A skyline green, next to the ocean, subject to wind seems like a spectacular combination.

What's interesting is how the hole/green evolved.

If it wasn't for the cold weaather clothes they're wearing I'd want to take the next plane to Bandon.

The hole looks like it's a lot of fun .... and challenging.

How large is the green ?  Sq/ft ? 

Does it have any internal contouring or slope that might be a consession to the wind ?

Patrick:

You can always play in the summer. Windier, but, well, dry and "kind of" warm. JFK to SFO direct, then a puddle jumper up to Bandon.

The green, I don't know dimensions on, but there isn't too much contouring internally to keep it on the surface.

As an FYI, the green IS quite large from what I recall.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 08:13:22 PM »
Will - These videos are awesome.

3 1/2 weeks and counting til I get there - Can't wait - especially if the weather says like its been the past week or so.

Based on the comments, the impact of the wind on drives and club selection is massive. And hitting up to the green from a valley only masks the true power of the wind. Very very cool.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 08:21:39 PM »
#7 played really long in march! I actually played the hole with Tom in a five-some and was the only person to hit the green after nearly pulling my tee shot into the gorse. At the time there were no markers out on the course, are there were 3 of us all in the same spot… If my memory is correct, two us hit 7-iron (including tom) because it didn’t look like we were very far, but my 5-iron was the only ball that found the green... and made par!

This hole is going to play extremely difficult for anyone with a fade/slice, especially when you are playing into the wind, because everything short or right will come all the way back down to the fairway, that is if it doesn’t get caught in the bunkers!

#7 was one of my favorite holes we played that day! The second shot is the key to the hole, and proper club selection can make all the difference. You have to remember that when you are standing of your drive deciding what club to hit for your approach you might feel the wind there, but once the ball gets up in the air, above the green, the wind is going to be blowing even harder since its not blocked out by the huge cliff you are about to hit to. But whether you make a birdie or a double bogey, once you are up on the green and get a glimpse of the view all is forgotten, because it is simply spectacular!

Will Smith

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 09:13:17 AM »
Just want to reiterate that I did not film or produce this set of videos. I just linked to them.- Will

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 03:13:40 PM »
Good video indeed.

Interesting to see so much discussion from Tom based around incorporating views and other "off-course" intagibles into the routing and entire golfing experience.

Tom H, where is your black marker? We need to scribble out all those ocean views because clearly they have nothing to do with how good the 7th and 15th holes are likely to be.   ;D  (Sorry couldn't resist)

ed_getka

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 12:44:54 AM »
These videos are killing me. I still have a whole year to wait to see this course in person. I'll have to live vicariously through Ash Towe's report when we get together in July. Ash is flying up from New Zealand in 5 weeks and will be seeing the Bandon complex for the first time.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 03:47:13 AM »
Why was the halfway house going to be on #7 in the first place? (Halfway house fail.)  ;D

Ash Towe

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 08:31:47 PM »
I will be at Bandon 5 weeks today.  The anticipation is already very high.  These videos just add to the excitement.  I look forward to telling Ed about my expeiences on Old Mac as well as probably boring him to pieces about the other courses.

ed_getka

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 10:07:24 PM »
Ash,
   I look forward to hearing about every hole. Anyone who gets bored talking about the courses at Bandon should check their pulse. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back