News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

Re: Caso de Campo
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2008, 12:16:57 PM »
Adam,

I don't remember that comment of Ran's about #6 or#17.  But for the 6th at least, the fairway is a mile wide and the further you play safe to the right and up the hill, the longer is the second shot on what is a long par 4.  So, hugging the left side of the fairway provides some reward of a shorter second.  The green is also more receptive from the left side than the right.  The line is not over the coral rock (not concrete) wall, it's over the bunker to the right of the wall.  But there is some advantage and some risk to that line.

Art,

I guess I'm one who was less impressed with Dye Fore.  Each to their own.  I thought the front nine was generally uninspiring.  The back was a lot better, but it was no TOD.  Perhaps if you like cliffs in play rather than oceans .....

Wayne,

Thanks for the explanation.  I guess, given your distaste  for desert and now the best of the Caribbean courses, that you must be generally a parkland course aficionado.  As for the layout, it is basically two loops along the coast line.  The loops certainly give variety in how the prevailing winds affect each hole.  I, for one, like the ocean in play, either in parallel or to be played across, rather than behind a green. 

I found most if not all of the hole at the TOD memorable.  There aren't many more memorable holes in the world than the ocean holes.  Different strokes.

Interesting thought about the difficulty of tie-ins to the ocean. It doesn't offend my eye.  Would the same not hold true for cliffs and mountains or desert?  Or any water feature? 

I guess you're not a fan of 18 at PB either with all that faux rockery protecting the coast side of the hole. 

Perhaps you should give it another try when the course is not recovering from a hurricane and you have lower expectations about the resort, the caddies, and the drive in from Santo Domingo.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2008, 08:00:37 PM »
Brian, I don't think you'd remember Ran's comment because he made it before he addressed his ball, about six yards right of the sea wall. It was still a long way to the hole from there, and it didn't appear to be any advantage to cutting it so close to the wall. It was my sense the same was true on 17, but I'm willing to concede the green may be more receptive from that angle, but still a long way away.
I made my first statement to illustrate how little there really is to criticize.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jed Peters

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2008, 10:42:10 PM »
Brian, I don't think you'd remember Ran's comment because he made it before he addressed his ball, about six yards right of the sea wall. It was still a long way to the hole from there, and it didn't appear to be any advantage to cutting it so close to the wall. It was my sense the same was true on 17, but I'm willing to concede the green may be more receptive from that angle, but still a long way away.
I made my first statement to illustrate how little there really is to criticize.

Adam:

I've only played the course 6 or so times, but regarding the holes....there was new tees put in last year on 6 and 17 that make the holes play shorter the more you cut off....

BUT if you're checking out the other "functions" that the ocean walls have--they serve the mental aspect of the shot--putting doubt/"carry" into the mind of the person hitting the shot.

I think this last thing is the genius that is Pete Dye--he creates that doubt in the golfer off the tee--especially since a bailout isn't THAT bad of an option (just a longer shot into the green).

See also 18 at TPC Sawgrass.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2008, 02:35:54 AM »
Adam,

Pheew, at my age, you get to thinking you must have forgotten a comment in a post somewhere in the past, as opposed to never having had heard it at all.  I feel better.

Ran must be a long ball if he was near the sea wall on the fairway side (unless of course he was playing one of the more forward tees  ;) ).  From the back tee deck, it's about 270 to carry the sea wall - deceptively further than it looks.  In any event, you have maybe 20 or 30 yards more yards on the second the further right you play away from the ocean - say 170 vs 190 or 200.  To me that's a significant difference - to others maybe not so much.  OK, I didn't get your context that this the most that could be criticized.  I do recall from the reviews when the GCA gathering was there, that there was a certain lack of love for the course from some part of the GCA delegation.  I guess I was reading that into the comment.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 08:54:40 AM »
Bill - Nice summation. It's been a couple of years, but I played TOD two times in a week and have very much the same opinion as yours. Ocean side holes are spectacular, if not nuanced and strategic (as are most oceanside holes, IMO). The winds and sheer beauty make those holes a joy to play. Inland holes are solid, but I find the 18th even weaker than the 14th.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Anthony Gray

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 04:34:21 PM »

Teeth has the best set of par 3's I have ever played. 3 with ocean carries and the other is an island green surrounded by sand.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back