News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve D

Bandon and Old Mac
« on: May 20, 2009, 10:46:18 AM »
I'm about to book a trip to Bandon for next year in June.  I know I'm early but I tried to go this year and all the good tee times that allow replay were taken so I figured I'd book now so I don't have that problem.

I'm going to be there for 3 days and will be playing 6 rounds.  I'm going to do 36 on Pacific Dunes for sure (one round on a morning and one on an afternoon) but I'm debating on which other course I should play two times.  It seems to be between Bandon Dunes and Old Mac.  Has anyone here played the 10 open holes on Old Mac yet?  Any suggestions from anyone between if I should try to do Bandon Dunes or Old Mac two times?  Thanks!

Steve

Tom Jefferson

Re: Bandon and Old Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 10:55:48 AM »
Steve;

Well, there are many opinions about which course(s) at the resort to focus on, but I suggest to ANYONE that it would be a mistake if one DOESN'T play Bandon Trails at least once.

Since you have not been to the resort, I suggest that you play each course, in order of their emergence...Dunes, Pac, Trails, Old Mac.

But whatever you choose, have a GREAT TIME!!

Tom
the pres

Steve D

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 10:58:48 AM »
I should have been a little more clear with my original post.  I'm definitely going to play all four courses once.  I will be playing two of the courses two times.  Pacific Dunes is definitely going to get a replay and I'm debating between Bandon Dunes and Old Mac for my second replay.  I was hoping to get some opinions on which of those two would be a better replay.  Thanks.

Steve

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
Steve;

Well, there are many opinions about which course(s) at the resort to focus on, but I suggest to ANYONE that it would be a mistake if one DOESN'T play Bandon Trails at least once.

Since you have not been to the resort, I suggest that you play each course, in order of their emergence...Dunes, Pac, Trails, Old Mac.

But whatever you choose, have a GREAT TIME!!

Tom

Tom,

I think he agrees there....he just wants to know which course to play twice.  I have played PacDunes,  and thats an obvious 2-fer to me.  And my money says Old Mac would likely be the other 2-fer.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:16:12 AM by Kalen Braley »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:15:20 AM »
Just got back two weeks ago.

Three days of golf:

Bandon Dunes - Bandon Trails
Pacific Dunes - Old Mac - Bandon Trails (if not busy play 1-5 and 17-18 as a loop - 3rd round is free)
Pacific Dunes - Old Mac

That's what worked for me.

Steve D

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:28:42 AM »
Ian, what did you think of the 10 holes of Old Mac???  Did you think we're going to be looking at a better course than Bandon Dunes and Trails?

Steve

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 11:29:35 AM »
It's quite simple, really.

Play everything you can as many times as possible, including the par 3 course.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Ben Sims

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 01:24:11 PM »
Steve,

Having recently spent 4 days on a life changing trip to Bandon, I have to add to the thread.

My trip went as follows:

Day 1:  Sheep Ranch

Day 2: Pac
          Old Mac

Day 3: Pac
          Trails

Day 4: Bandon

I strongly, repeat STRONGLY advise playing the 10 at Old Mac.  Those of us on the website that have been stating it's possibility as the most fun and different course on the Resort are not making it up. Though the Renaissance boys will tell you they were trying to make something different, but not necessarily better; that's being too nice.  It really might be the best up there upon completion.  I also strongly advise trying to play the Sheep Ranch (I'm pretty sure its closed in summer though, so disregard).  If I had to add in another course at the Resort, I'd say Bandon.  Trails is not as tough a walk as some would argue, but it is brutally tough on the back nine when the wind kicks up.  With the way the gorse removal on Bandon Dunes has gone, I think it merits a second look if you are trying to play six rounds.  So how would I break it down?

Day One: Pac Dunes
             Bandon Dunes

Day Two: Trails
              Old Mac

Day Three: Bandon Dunes
               Pacific Dunes

If I sound passionate about this place, well, its because I am.  I owe all of my interest and knowledge about golf to this place and its affect on me has been profound.  I hope you enjoy your trip.

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 02:26:21 PM »
Ben;

Now that's a passionate response!!! 

And you bring up a point about the Bandon Dunes course, that from my perspective at least, is overlooked; that is the gorse removal that has been quietly occurring for the last several years, headed up by Eric Johnson and executed by his able staff.

Now, in place of hallways of gorse, there is open sand and the original shaping (both by nature and the original construction in 97-98) of the once dominant dune topography.  Instead of views restricted, there are now views open....open to the adjacent holes and open to the sea beyond.  IMHO this work greatly adds to the experience and beauty of playing this course.

Tom
the pres

Michael Dugger

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 02:31:39 PM »
Again, I just don't get why people discount the original Bandon Dunes course

It's epic, better than only a handful of courses many of us will play in our lifetimes

16 is my favorite golf hole on the entire property

There are a handful of great holes, a handful of doggone goods ones and very few out and out "dogs"

It would be beyond stupid to not play the Auld Bandon Dunes course.....like going to St. Andrews and only playing Kingsbarns and The Castle Course.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 02:34:16 PM »
Again, I just don't get why people discount the original Bandon Dunes course

It's epic, better than only a handful of courses many of us will play in our lifetimes

16 is my favorite golf hole on the entire property

There are a handful of great holes, a handful of doggone goods ones and very few out and out "dogs"

It would be beyond stupid to not play the Auld Bandon Dunes course.....like going to St. Andrews and only playing Kingsbarns and The Castle Course.

Agreed. You have to play them all.

Anthony

Ben Sims

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 04:18:15 PM »
Tom,

Michael,

On 16 tee I had this experience.

1) My friends caddie plunks down a ball and screams "Ben, hit that truck, hurry, you got to lead it!"  I hit a laced knockdown 6 iron to within 20 fee as it passed.
2) My good friend and I simultaneously hit drives into the ocean while unleashing primordial screams.
3) I hit my best drive of the day to about 20 yards left of the flag, up and down for an easy birdie on a 340 yards hole.

I then skipped off the tee rather quickly as I hear my caddie saying something about how looping for me for 4 days was like caddying for a Labrador Retriever...

You can't make this stuff up.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 11:01:01 PM »
Pac Dunes is fantastic, but please don't underestimate Trails.  I so love Trails.  So so so many good holes. SOOOO much better to me than Dunes.  I have not seen Old Mac.

Chip

Matt MacIver

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 07:07:01 AM »
Pac Dunes is fantastic, but please don't underestimate Trails.  I so love Trails.  So so so many good holes. SOOOO much better to me than Dunes.  I have not seen Old Mac.

Chip

I have to agree, I think Trails has more "better" golf holes and strategic thinking required than Dunes, so I think you'll get more out of a second play there.  But then again there's those great views (and don't forget #5!) on Dunes...

Mark Kinney

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 01:24:06 PM »
Steve,

First off, you definitely have to play all the courses.  Some guests don't enjoy Trails as much, but it is really (with a couple of exceptions) a fantastic course and a great compliment to the existing courses.  My first impression of Trails was not much.  However, the more I played it, the more I appreciate it.  It's wide open for the most part off the tees, but in order to have the correct angles into greens (which vary depending upon conditions and hole locations) it effectivelly plays much narrower.

The one thing I would recommend about Trails is to play it in the morning.  The final four holes on Trails play into the wind (and a couple uphill) and are that much more difficult after already playing 32 holes.  As far as playing 36 goes, make sure you are playing with a hearty group, because 3 days of 36 walking and in the usual windy conditions takes it out of everyone.

Every season (I caddie at Bandon in the summers), I'm with many groups that play TOO MUCH and it affects their performance and experience.  It's one thing to play 36 holes back at the home course (with a cart) but an entirely new beast out there.  Now, I'm not trying to discourage you from playing 36 each day nor am I saying that you can't, but be realistic depending upon the group that you are going out there with.

As far as OM, I was fortunate to tour the course last September and IMO it is going to be fantastic and all the raves in this thread and others are most deserving.  I can't wait to get back out there in a couple weeks and actually have a chance to learn/caddie/play the 10 holes as well as see the new 8.   

Carl Nichols

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 01:44:21 PM »
Steve:
Interesting to hear that you were unable to book times for this June that would let you play 36 each day.  I went to Bandon in June '07, and even though I planned the trip pretty late (April-May), I was able to pretty easily get times that let us play 36 the two days we were there.  Is it possible that Bandon is busier now than it's been previously?
FWIW, we played Trails-Pacific and then Pacific-Dunes, and I thought that was the right mix for our 4 rounds. 

Damon Groves

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 10:24:45 PM »
Old Mac does not open until July. Just got back and played the 10 preview holes and Old Mac is SIIICCCKKK. Could be the best one. All four are great and you should play each once. For any extras it seems to me preference. Pacific is a very special course and Old Mac should be pretty spectacular.

ed_getka

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 11:03:04 PM »
It is interesting to hear that Old Mac doesn't open until July since I have tee times for opening day which is June 1, 2010.

Steve,
    Play them all once and make up your own mind. As for making extra tee times I would get them for Old Mac first, and PD second. You could always give those times up later and get on the other two courses without much problem I would imagine.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Steve D

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 07:31:41 AM »
Carl, I don't recall when it was that I was trying to book for June 2009, but I was trying to get 4 consecutive days of 36 holes/day for 8 golfers, so the pickings were slim.  I don't think my experience is indicative of more crowding at Bandon Dunes.

Ed, thats just what I did.  I'm booked for 36 on Old Mac and PD.  Now I just have to wait for June 2010 to get here!!

Steve

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back