News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

When were carts first introduced at Merion?
« on: May 20, 2009, 10:35:55 AM »

At this years KP I realized two benifits for taking a cart.

1- FELLOWSHIP   I was in Tommy Naccarato's foursome and rode in his cart. It gave us more time together than if we were walking.

2- SUN PROTECTION   At Rustic Canyon there is very little shade and a six hour round of golf in the direct sun had my skin peeling for two weeks.

Anthony

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 01:45:49 PM by Anthony Gray »

Tom Huckaby

Re: Two Good Reasons To Take A Cart
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 10:47:03 AM »
On top of sun protection, it also gives you a place to SIT... very very valuable during rounds featuring massive amounts of waiting (like that Rustic round).

Of course also, some mountainous courses, and others with large green to tee distances, it is just sane to take a cart... in the spirit of why kill one's self to prove a point?

I've always thought there was a time for everything... a time to walk, a time to ride... getting my Byrds voice out....

And thus I have never understood the militant walker position.

But I also quite clearly understand that nothing stated here will change such position, for those who hold it.

So I don't hold much hope for this thread....

;D

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 10:53:02 AM »
Anthony:

Just to second what Huck said ... I have no rigid belief against carts provided ...

There is no mandatory 100% of the time rule that prescribes their usage to cart path ONLY.

When that happens -- the players must then babysit the cart with the playing of the game in a secondary fashion.

I also don't appreciate cart usage if the rides between holes is akin to commuting via car to and from work. I don't doubt
some cart rides can be extremely hilly and no doubt it will be needed to get the players from one section of the course
to the other. The cart should be a secondary item when playing the game -- if its so utterly dominant then the time spent playing
is indeed been subverted.

Just as an FYI -- I walk whenever I can but don't label those who prefer to ride as less than golfers.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 10:59:05 AM »

1- FELLOWSHIP   I was in Tommy Naccarato's foursome and rode in his cart. It gave us more time together than if we were walking.

This is only true for Anthony. When he walks, no one will walk with him.

2- SUN PROTECTION   At Rustic Canyon there is very little shade and a six hour round of golf in the direct sun had my skin peeling for two weeks.

You have to set aside vanity enough to put a hat on, a reusable sun protection resource.

Anthony

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:05:29 AM »

You have to set aside vanity enough to put a hat on, a reusable sun protection resource.

Anthony

Garlad...I can't sit on my hat. How did your arm get so red the day before? And don't tell me it was from eating KOrrean Bar-b que.

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:21:28 AM »

Anthony

Garlad...I can't sit on my hat. How did your arm get so red the day before? And don't tell me it was from eating KOrrean Bar-b que.

Anthony

Anthony,

My arm got so red from driving a cart. It was horizontal sticking out the side of the cart instead of vertical while walking.
 :P
Didn't see that coming did you.
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 11:25:15 AM »

Garlan,

Horizontal/Vertical...Your doctorate is in geometry?

Anthony

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 11:38:33 AM »
If a course's pace is 6+ hours I wouldn't take a cart...or play the course either.
H.P.S.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 11:59:15 AM »
I've always thought there was a time for everything... a time to walk, a time to ride... getting my Byrds voice out....

Great reference, but don't forget Pete Seeger (or, I guess the Bible).   ;)

I think walking is more sociable than riding, but I'll generally do whatever the people I'm playing with want.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 12:07:23 PM »
If you walk, you can talk to all 3 of your other playing partners throughout the round.

You also have more time to converse while walking from tee to fairway, and fairway to green.

Unless you are playing a course that is Cart Only or has ridiculous green to tee transfers or elevation change there is never a good reason to take a cart instead of walking - that is in my totally biased opinion that carts should only be used by people who cannot walk due to medical reasons (100 degree heat could certainly fall into the medical reason category).

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 12:08:12 PM »
If you want to be sociable in a cart, you ride together to each ball and wait in the cart for each shot. This leads to 6 hour rounds. If you want to play golf, you take a short ride together to one ball then split up. As John would point out, you spend less time together than walking.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »
"Unless you are playing a course that is Cart Only or has ridiculous green to tee transfers or elevation change there is never a good reason to take a cart instead of walking..."

I completely concur.

I'd also add mountainous courses to this, where it just plain makes more sense to ride due to huge evelation changes.

And the problem is, at least here in the wester US, we have lots of courses that meet these standards.

So yes, a time to ride.  And yes, better attribution is Pete Seeger, and best is the Bible.
 ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 12:27:36 PM »

You spend more time together if you take a cart. If you walk your balls are in different places. You do not have to have a PhD to figure this one out.

Anthony

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 12:35:09 PM »
Anthony,

I only have a lowly BS degree and even I figured it out.   ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 12:38:01 PM »
Anthony,

Well we all know what BS stands for.

D_Malley

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 12:38:51 PM »

You spend more time together if you take a cart. If you walk your balls are in different places. You do not have to have a PhD to figure this one out.

Anthony

disagree, what does it take one minute ride in a cart to get to the landinga area?  walking from tee to landing area will take 5 minutes and even if your balls are on opposite sides the first 3 - 4 minutes you are walking side by side.

C. Squier

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 12:40:51 PM »

Anthony

You spend more time with one person in a cart.  You spend more time with 3 people when walking.  

I'm a coin flip guy.  If those who I'm playing with ride, I ride.  If they walk, I walk.  The only exceptions are cart path only....I desperately want to walk.  I also always walk when playing by myself.  

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 02:23:25 PM »
Anthony,

Kalen...my avitar is better than your avitar.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 02:26:16 PM »

No way could I have gotten to know Tommy as well if we would have walked.
  Anthony

mike_beene

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 11:10:20 PM »
If you walk you probably live another 15 years.That's a lot of time to visit.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 11:29:08 PM »
touche' Mike

Norbert P

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 12:07:07 AM »
 "Two Good Reasons To Take A Cart" versus infinite reasons not to.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Jon Nolan

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 12:11:27 AM »
Golf in the mountain west is 50/50 when it comes to walking/riding.  By the time you factor in the elevation changes, (semi-)desert courses with significant green to tee distances and 100* plus temps in July and August you find plenty of reasons to hire some wheels for half your rounds.

I don't have the math for this but there comes a point where walking in the heat becomes incompatible with the amount of water you need to be carrying.  Sure, some courses have water on the holes but not all and I don't trust those coolers much anyway.  Beverage carts on many courses are as scarce as rangers.

For me, walk when it makes sense, ride when it doesn't.  

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 04:35:11 AM »
Seriously how can a round of golf take 6 hours?

A four ball with carts should be well under 4 hours even with long drives between holes. I would have honestly walked in (or driven!),
golf has no enjoyment in such time spans.

Over the last 4 days the longest round I've played was 4hrs 15mins playing off the medal tees at Royal Birkdale in a strong wind and also waiting to let two pairs come through during the round. A three ball at Swinley Forest with some waiting around took 3hrs 15mins.

It is no wonder younger people are being turned off golf. A young married man wants to tee of on Sunday morning at 8.30, play 18 holes have a beer with his mates and be home for lunch not supper!
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 04:50:44 AM »
Well said Mark.

The clubhouse would be a good place to get to know Tommy, Anthony.

There are good reasons to ride. I can't say I agree that 'bonding' is one of them. And if you burn easy, get some 30+, a hat and a long-sleeve shirt, or if you can handle the sledging, a parasol ;D

Six-hours for a round of golf? I'd rather go and see Mama Mia again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back