News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Erin Hills - update?
« on: May 19, 2009, 02:27:48 PM »
Just was informed that Erin Hills will not be opening for play this year until after July 1st.

Does anyone have any information on what is being redone there?

Cheers!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

PCCraig

Re: Erin Hills - update?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 02:39:36 PM »
Paul-

When I called the club they said it is closed for improvements prior to holding the US Am next year (or maybe the next). Which improvements I'm not sure.

I can only guess that making changes to a cold weather course in Wisconsin would take longer due to the short season, hence the July opening date.
H.P.S.

Jim Colton

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 02:40:03 PM »
Whole slew of changes...check out this thread.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38903.35.html

Paul Richards

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 03:37:18 PM »
For those interested, here is Bob Lang's letter:

In 2008, Erin Hills was awarded the 2011 U.S. Amateur.    For some golf courses, this is a potential prelude to a future U.S. Open.  That decision has not been made by the USGA.

The USGA did not dictate, they only suggested, what could be enhanced…to make Erin Hills the best that she can be for championship and everyday play.   

Our goal is to enhance the golf course…and naturally make it better. The routing is still the original…with the exception that the challenging 19th hole next to the Halfway House is now #9…replacing the Dell Hole in the rotation.

As you leave the clubhouse and approach #1, you will see the size of the putting green has expanded about 50%…toward the Starter Shack.

Hole #1…LONE OAK…The lower fairway was widened, providing more landing areas for the opening hole.  The ridge between the two bunkers leading to the upper fairway has been lowered about 8-10’.  Three bunkers were created just below the cart path next to the large dune on the right side of the upper fairway…leading to the green.

Hole #2…TURTLEBACK…Two major enhancements have taken place.  The left to right ridge just beyond the landing area was saddled…which will allow the golfer, with a good driver, to see the humpback green.  While keeping the same shape of the elongated green, the surface area was increased about 50% to the south and to the west toward Hole #3.

Hole #3…TAMARACK…From the tee, you will now see three large bunkers…on the left side of the fairway.  The front right side of the green at the approach area was enlarged about eight yards further east from the center of the green.  We also expanded the green within one foot of the front bunkers.  Two bunkers were added next to the right bunker thirty yards out from the green.  Additional bunkers were added to the left front of the green.  #3 is now more beautiful, challenging and fun to play.  The green was expanded on the south side.

Hole #4…SEA OF FESCUE…The green was moved up into the saddle to the left side of the signature Oak.  Additional bunkers were added on both sides of the fairway.   
Now the green rests between the signature oak behind the old green and the large dune west of the bunkers.  The former left bunkers are now directly in front of the new green running parallel with the fairway.  The fairway now undulates over the old green to the new elevated green left of the signature oak.  Another series of bunkers runs parallel to the right side of the fairway…just east of the signature oak.
   In addition, the fairway now goes around the left side of the original bunkers in front of the green.  There are three new bunkers on that side of the fairway at the base of the large dune.   All in all, I believe that the new #4 green site will offer the golfer definitely more beauty…far more of a challenge…and hopefully, a lot more fun.  A visit to play Erin Hills this year, I suggest, will be worth the trip…just to see and play the newly enhanced #4.

Hole #7 NEW…TEETH OF THE WIND…For everyday play, the new #7 (old #8) will now be a par 5 (which will make Erin Hills a par 73 golf course).  The tees will be at the top of the hill offering a panoramic vista of a great part of the country.

Hole #9…DEVIL’S HALO…The same seven existing bunkers encircle the green.  The left and right side of the green was expanded out within a foot of the bunkers.  This will offer more challenging and fun to play tee shots and hole locations from high above the tee on the hill.

Hole #10…THE BIARRITZ…As you hit your second and third shots toward the green, you will now visually see beautiful and challenging series of bunkers on the right side of the fairway facing into the ridge at the existing bunker complex.  On the left side of the green, there is an additional series of bunkers just below the existing bunkers.
   As you approach the saddled biarritz green, there is a large bunker at the lower left corner that can affect the very good amateur, any of those who played the championship course and everyday players alike.
   The front third and the back third of the Biarritz green have been lowered 12-18”.  This change will allow for more hole locations…that will be fair and easier to putt.  The valley in the middle remains.  Additional bunkers were added along the fairway…and one large bunker guards the front left of the green.

Hole #15…VOLCANO…The only enhancement on the 15th is the lowering of the ridge by twelve inches through the center of the green.  The ridge is still there…just lower.

Hole #16…PUNCHBOWL…Bunkers were added to the right and left side of the green.

Hole #17…CATHEDRAL…All of the enhancements took place just beyond the landing area and the signature oak tree to the right side of the fairway.
   The large esker, that big mound which comes from the left side front of the green to the middle of the fairway is still there in the same natural shape.  It has been shortened naturally.  Hit a drive to the center of the fairway, and you will now have a full view of the green.

Hole #18…HOLY HILL…The existing fairway, bunkers and green all remain the same.  However, the fairway now widens on the right side up the ridge, which is 35’ below the old #8 tees.  The golfer will now be challenged by a series of left side and right side bunkers, as he lands his second shot

Additional bunkers were added to #5, 7, 10 and 14.

All of the above described enhancements simply raise Erin Hills to another level of quality, beauty, challenge and playability.  You will also observe a lot more of the “wow factor”.  We simply want Erin Hills to be a better golfing experience for you.

With such a short season, opening in July, we encourage you to “call now”.  We are extremely excited to share these new enhancements.  Please accept the challenge and call 262-670-8600 and make your tee time for July, August, September and October.

Hope to see you soon.

Golf is a Journey,
Bob Lang
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Dan Moore

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »
I am playing there July 3rd.  Will report back. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Phil McDade

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 04:54:09 PM »
Here is Dan's EH thread, where he dubs it a "glacial inks," shortly after it opened.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,29760.0.html

(posting on both EH threads.....)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 06:56:34 PM »
Why has the Dell hole been scrapped?? I was so looking forward to the Pros hitting shots to a blind green - that would have been very interesting to analyze, also really exciting to watch for the gallery. What a disappointment. The most original hole on the course is not played.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Paul Richards

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 10:19:32 PM »
If anyone has the link to the original EH thread, I also wrote a long piece describing my visit there.  I am curious to see if any of the issues that I raised have been addressed in this redesign....

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 11:34:31 PM »
Some EHills threads:

Paul Richards' comments (2nd page of thread), along with those of Shivas, who liked it alot (in contrast to Paul):

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,25475.35.html

Kavanaugh's thoughts:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35999.0.html

Random thoughts and pics:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35217.0.html

A very early thread on EH, well before it opened, with some construction photos:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,20709.0.html

Paul Richards

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 10:02:09 AM »
Phil:

Not sure why you said:
>Paul Richards' comments (2nd page of thread), along with those of Shivas, who liked it alot (in contrast to Paul):

Here's a quote of mine from that thread you posted:

>This will be one of the country’s great courses – mark my words – perhaps rising into the top 25 on Golfweeks Modern list. 

My analysis left me with the impression, that, as it was, I completely agreed with Ralph Livingston, who played that round with me:

>Just visited there this weekend. Erin Hills will be a great golf course one day, but it needs some serious grow-in. I think the concensus in my group was it should not have opened until next summer. The thick mix of natural with fescue for the deep rough is going to allow them to perfect the six hour round.  It will be a couple of years before I would consider playing it again.

They are making changes, and it has now been a couple years, so, I hope to get there in July!

Phil McDade

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 01:39:40 PM »
Paul:

My apolgies; I just remember the "width" debate that I think you and Dave had on the other thread...

Paul Richards

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 10:22:49 PM »
Phil:

No problema.  Obviously, I felt that EH needed some major tweaking, but, underneath, there was a top 25 Modern course waiting to escape.

Let's hope that the changes that are being made currently address these issues so that we can find out if my prediction is true or not....
 :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back