News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

Black Horse (Ft. Ord) - Seaside, CA
« on: May 19, 2009, 12:03:15 AM »

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:11:25 AM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Garland Bayley

Re: Black Horse (Ft. Ord) - Seaside, CA
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:19:20 AM »
Was that like an ink blot test the shrinks give?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:39:24 AM »
Did they have a huge cookie cutter so that they can cut identical bunkers?

Or perhaps the architect designed the course on a computer and just used cut and paste...

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 12:47:11 AM »

Officially, the exam is known as the "RorschachTest," but I've never understood its value given that every inkblot looks like a masturbating Elvis.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 01:01:21 AM »

Officially, the exam is known as the "RorschachTest," but I've never understood its value given that every inkblot looks like a masturbating Elvis.

Ummmmm, Kyle, I think you passed the test!
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Carl Nichols

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 08:11:23 AM »
Obviously the style of the bunkers is quite jarring.  But putting the style aside and focusing on positioning, it seems like in several places there are just too many of them -- perhaps the archie used an old RTJ how-to manual.  On the other hand, it seems like they've done an admirable job in not overly relying on trees, and a few green sites (e.g., the first pic) look pretty interesting.  Also seems to be in good condition.

Peter Galea

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 08:17:57 AM »
Fairway condition looks great with that little tinge of brown.
"chief sherpa"

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 08:47:51 AM »
Nice catch Peter.

The photos make the course look nothing like it's former self. I think I recognize one corridor.

The widths look ambiguous with no ability to take advantage of the angles.

And, the hand of man on some of the contouring is also a new touch.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Nick Church

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 10:51:41 AM »
A couple of those pictures look like number 7.  It appears they significantly removed the trees on the right side that (at least) visually blocked the attempt to cut the dog leg.  At least that's how I remember it from playing there in 1987 as an 8th grader.

Trey Stiles

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 10:55:44 AM »
What a change ... I was part of the original group that put together the purchase / lease ... Our initial plan was to do a couple million in infrastructure upgrades and block & tackle  ... It would have been a great deal for everybody under that plan.

Somewhere along the line , somebody figured out that spending a " blue zillion " to remake it would yield better returns.

I bet they would love to have their " blue zillion " back , along with the regular guys who loved and supported the facility at a reasonable cost structure.

Back to GCA :  I'm not sure they have enough of those bunkers that look like the ink blots .... maybe they could just make one big bunker with ink blots made from grass .... I pitty the guy who's got to flymo those things.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 10:56:31 AM »
A couple of those pictures look like number 7.  It appears they significantly removed the trees on the right side that (at least) visually blocked the attempt to cut the dog leg.  At least that's how I remember it from playing there in 1987 as an 8th grader.

That would be correct, all of it.  On top of this, they moved 17 Bayonet significantly to the left of where it used to be (that land now being planned for hotel use) such that it is right in the crook of the dogleg for 7 Black Horse.  It's a dangerous situation, strikingly so as you view either hole.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 11:03:56 AM »
Hmmmmm - frilly, jagged edged bunkers. 

New term:  pinking sheared bunkers:

Definitely not a "fad" - right Adam?

As I posted elsewhere:  "Up in the mountains (Ballyhack), down by the water (Ft. Ord), heads Carolina, tails California."

Bogey
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 11:07:50 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Benham

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 01:09:53 PM »

The widths look ambiguous with no ability to take advantage of the angles.

Adam -

That was my initial thought after playing it.  The greens have lots of movement, depending on the hole location, you can play away from the hole and let the ground move the ball towards the hole.  There is access at the front of every green so you can play running shots if the turf is firm enough.

The fairway turf is different, it stays down, almost matted.  Not sure if this is a result of its newness or is the intent.

Mike

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 07:38:54 PM »
What a change ... I was part of the original group that put together the purchase / lease ... Our initial plan was to do a couple million in infrastructure upgrades and block & tackle  ... It would have been a great deal for everybody under that plan.

Somewhere along the line , somebody figured out that spending a " blue zillion " to remake it would yield better returns.

I bet they would love to have their " blue zillion " back , along with the regular guys who loved and supported the facility at a reasonable cost structure.

They spent $12.5 million for both courses which I thought was cheap.

I played here 2 weeks ago and was very disappointed.  I'm not sure if it was Gene Bates or the construction company but I really have to believe somebody else could have done a much better job.  It really continues to piss me off that so many architects both living and dead never had the chance to work in Monterey and Gene Bates gets 2 courses and IMHO he screwed them both up.  To me Bates should have built something really unique yet he grassed over the entire property (built on a sand dune) and tricked the course up with greens that are not puttable and angles and strategy that is amateur architecture.

Sorry to be so harsh, I'll leave it at that.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 07:51:16 PM »
Michael. My comment does not apply in this case as far as I can tell. Your comment however baffles me.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back