News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

I recently had the opportunity to play the Country Club of Waterbury (1899) located in Waterbury, CT. This course is an unusual par of 69, and actually played like it was a much longer course. This place has some TOUGH golf holes. It was also one of the tougher golf courses that I have ever played. Finally, I had a difficult time lumping this Ross design into the other Ross' that I have played. I left there wondering whether or not I even enjoyed the course (as much as I do most Ross courses I mean)....enjoy the pictures......

The remainder of the pictures are here:

http://www.hetzelfamily.org/golf/Connecticut%20Courses/CC%20of%20Waterbury/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 02:56:03 PM by Rich Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Greg Krueger

Re: CC of Waterbury - 1899 - Donald Ross - PICS ONLY, Few Words!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 03:13:33 PM »
Wow, that is one great looking golf course! Thanks for posting Rich.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 04:08:48 PM »
I was a member for a few years, so I'm very familiar with the course.  I think Northeastern golf courses are at their most difficult at this time of year, when the grass grows best and the rough is thick.  It's hard to advance the ball out of the rough now, but it gets easier as the season progresses and the weather gets warmer.  Seasonal wind patterns also tend to make Waterbury harder in the spring than later in the season.

A few years ago some kid shot a 61 in US Am qualifying at Waterbury, after which the club added 250 yards to the tips, almost entirely on the holes that were already supposed to be long par 4's, but weren't anymore because of technology. 

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 04:10:39 PM »
Phil,

Toally agree on the wind, we had to contend with it in our faces on about 14 of the 18 holes. 61? Sheeesh, even around 6600 that is still quite a feat!
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back