News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Changes to 16 at Turnberry?
« on: May 17, 2009, 09:56:23 AM »

Do you like or dislike the change?

I liked the thrill of watching the ball roll down the hill. The best feature of the hole for me is the burn in front of the green. Seeing your ball roll toward the hazard was part of the fun of the hole. It played short, but the green defended par. I thought the hole was a classic. Now it is very similiar to 18 at Kingsbarns.

Why the need to make it more difficult?

Anthony

Adrian_Stiff

Re: Changes to 16 at Turnberry?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 10:04:35 AM »

Do you like or dislike the change?

I liked the thrill of watching the ball roll down the hill. The best feature of the hole for me is the burn in front of the green. Seeing your ball roll toward the hazard was part of the fun of the hole. It played short, but the green defended par. I thought the hole was a classic. Now it is very similiar to 18 at Kingsbarns.

Why the need to make it more difficult?

Anthony

I think that in moving the 16th over it allowed a 60 yard extension to 17 and that was mainly behind it. Turnberry without that was virtually down to one par 5. The whole change added 100 yards overall. Turnberry's 16th with a 5 iron approach will certainly be testing perhaps too much.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 10:09:38 AM »

Adrain,

Sometimes it is hard to see the forrest for the trees. Good point. I did not notice how it would effect the length of 17. I thought the old 16 had alot of charm and was unique.

Anthony

Jamie Barber

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 02:38:14 PM »
I read an interview with the course manager, George Brown; Adrian's right - it was all about lengthening the 17th. Apparently it was too short for pros as a 5 (Romero got on in 2 with a Sand Iron in the Senior Open) and they didn't want to make it a long par 4, because par would have been 69. So they re-routed the 16th and pushed the 17th tees back

He did say that one of the benefits of doglegging the 16th was that it made club selection for the approach more critical and made the burn more in play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back