News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

When is a links course a links? WI's Bonny Meade Links
« on: May 10, 2009, 06:57:27 PM »
A recent Discussion Board thread…

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=39580.0

… discussed whether the United States has a true links course. Among other observations, one was that many courses like the cache of the term “links” while displaying few of the attributes of a true links course.

Wisconsin has two big-league courses that fit that description – Herb Kohler’s Whistling Straits and Irish Course, near the shores of Lake Michigan. But a self-described links course set in the rolling dairy farmland of southern Wisconsin predates those two high-profile courses by several years.

It’s called the Bonny Meade Links, near the small town of Milton, about 30 miles southeast of Madison.  How does it measure up as a links? To borrow the hackneyed phrase of Fox News -- we report, you decide.  The recent GCA links thread, and Bonny Meade’s $5 a round greens fee (that’s correct…) prompted a return visit this spring to the nine-hole course.

Course stats: The nine-hole course plays to 3,132 yards from the tips, 2,902 yards from the whites. The course rating is 69.9 with a slope of 117. It has the traditional mixture of two par 3s and par 5s, with five par 4s.

Holes and features of note (yardage from tips):

No. 1 (par 4, 391 yds)

From the highest point of the property, the first hole tumbles down an uneven fairway to an offset green right. OB (the course boundary) lines the entire right side of the hole, an attribute of nearly all the par 4s (so slicers beware).

A decidedly non-linksy pond (well, save for the Eden course at St. Andrews) guards the approach to the 1st green.

Those straying away from the pond on the approach can use some high ground left of the green to feed their ball to the putting surface – a nice feature.

No. 2 (par 3, 147 yds)

A nice par 3 inexplicably marred by the presence of several tall trees that guard the left side of the green. A links course with trees fronting the green? Chop ‘em down!

The aforementioned trees detract from what is a decent, short par 3 – a rugged and deep, but dry, ravine fronts the entire green and wraps around its left side. The wide but quite shallow green is a tough target to hit from nearly 150 yards away.

No. 3 (par 5, 467 yds)

A doglegging left, downhill par 5 that can be reached in two. Here’s where the fairway turns; those who choose to cut off the dogleg to shorten the second shot have to deal with a very narrow landing area sandwiched between mounds and whispy grass, along with another un-links-like pond.

The course has a fairly wide-open feel to it; this is near the 4th tee, looking toward the uphill par 5 7th (middle of picture) and the fairway of the 3rd (middle-left of picture).

No. 4 (par 4, 368 yds)

A par 4 with a slight turn to the right halfway down the fairway; this bunker running alongside the fairway has been grassed over.

Despite its modest length, the course can extract revenge on those wayward off the tee. Here’s my drive on the 4th hole – less than a foot off the fairway, and I was left with a crummy lie in 3-to-5-inch whispy grass.

No. 5 (par 4, 381 yds)

Another straightway par 4 that’s also set against the course boundary, and thus OB lines the entire right side of the hole. Still, it has some interest – a small ridge no more than 100 yards in front of the tee hides the outcome of the drive.

A nifty use of the terrain hides the green from only 75 yards away. The terrain hides small depressions fronting and to the left of the green, and a bunker right of the green.

No. 6 (par 4, 370 yds)

The only par 4 unburdened by right-side OB, this is a chance to loosen the shoulders and take a big swing. The hole doglegs sharply to the right; the green lies beyond the taller trees middle-right of photo.

Another nice use of the terrain, which hides the green in a small depression. This is the view of the downhill approach from 170 yards; the players in the distance are putting on the green.

No. 8 (par 3, 155 yds)

A decent, downhill par 3 to a green angled away from the tee, with the same ravine featured on the par 3rd guarding the back and right side of the 8th green. The two-tier green is one of the better ones on the course.

No. 9 (par 4, 373 yds)

This is more like it – something you’d find on your average Midwestern parkland course. Here the fairway is framed by two large stands of trees.

A true links course would’ve routed the final hole over this large mound, ala the 17th at the old Prestwick links or the Old Tom Morris-designed 11th at Tain.

Alas, the hole turns left, and the golfer is confronted by the backstop of all backstops. It seems nearly impossible to go long here.

So is Bonny Meade a links, or even a faux links? Well, the grassland off the fairways is appropriately whispy and thick, and the course has the openness often associated with links courses. Maintenance appears fairly skimpy, and thus the fairways are anything but over-fertilized and plush; the holes on the higher portions of the land (holes 4 through 7) featured fairways that ran pretty quick for springtime play (certainly quicker than the Madison WI munis  I often play). But the two ponds that prominently come into play, a few too many trees, and greens that are more spongy than firm detract from the feeling of being on a links course.

Bill Shamleffer

Re: When is a links course a links? WI's Bonny Meade Links
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 07:46:32 PM »
There are TOO MANY courses that have the word "links" in their name in the US to even begin to count them.  Calling one self a links has absolutely no bearing on concluding if a course is a "true links" or not.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Michael Dugger

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 08:21:45 PM »
Aside from the name, to me this course does not resemble a links, nor a faux links either.

Primarily because it lacks:

1. Movement.  Both in the overall scheme of things and within the fairways. You rarely have flat stances on a true links.  Where are the undulating lies and uneven stances? 
2. Where is the long hay?  Chambers Bay and Whistling Straits have long hay akin to courses built over genuine "linksland"  Also, where are the dunes or at the very least, faux dunes?
3. Bunkers?  Bunkers were formed on links courses by sheep seeking refuge from the wind.  Be them eroding edge or sod wall bunkers, a links course must have them.  All I see out there are a couple of amoebas.

What this looks like to me is an unobstrusive, simplistic "lay of the land" golf course.
All the playing corridors are broad plains.  This reminds me more of Chicago GC than Ballybunion
It has width......and width is good. It has firm turf, but so does Chicago GC 
It looks like a good place to learn the game.  Easy to find wayward shots.  Probably not too crowded.

I would call this more meadow/parkland. But it is not a links, a true links, genuine links, authentic links or faux links.   
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 08:50:40 PM »
Michael:

Re. your points:

1) There isn't much movement within the fairways, although there is some. But is it really the case that a true links rarely has flat stances?

2) There is some mounding -- artificially built, I'n guessing, because of the designer's sense of what links should look like. But I'd argue some very fine links -- how about Royal Lytham and St. Anne's, a rota course -- aren't built within dune systems. Shiskine, the funky 12-holer on the Isle of Arran, is quite linksy, but also not reliant on dunes. The hay is not real long -- these were taken in early May, with the growing season in Wisconsin only a month or so old -- and I'd expect it to get longer in the summer. But, I'd say the rough already in early May was pretty thick and difficult -- comparable to some of the near-fairway rough I encountered during mid-summer rounds at Machrihanish.

3) The bunkering is routine, and nothing stands out. Links courses must have sod wall bunkers, or eroding-edge bunkers? I'm not sure I'd agree, although they often are found on links courses.

Good thoughts; thanks for the feedback.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 09:29:48 PM »
Phil

I see you angling there, but I would not consider lytham a links course anymore than I do sunningdale, carnoustie or st. George hill.

A links or faux links must smell of dunesland, even if it's a hint and not a stench
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 01:24:59 AM »
Links is not the 1st thing that came to mind when I saw that course.  We've got much more linsky looking stuff here in Utah and we're in the middle of the desert.  :-X

Matthew Rose

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 05:20:11 AM »
I played this several times in high school. I despised it then. In fact, it basically ruined my high school golf career (a terrible competitive round in a 9-hole event caused me to get dropped to junior varsity just prior to two big events), so I don't have particularly fond memories of this place.

It is odd seeing this now as it has been probably 15 years since I last played it.... the course in these photos hardly resembles the one that I played actually, mainly because the rough is gone. They used to have waist-high grass two feet off the fairways, which were somewhat narrow. I also recall those small greens were really spongy and very difficult to hold. So yeah, it was like playing a poorly-maintained US Open course which had delusions of calling itself a "Links" course.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 07:18:42 AM »
There are a few courses in Ireland that call themselves golf links that aren't by the sea or in dunesland. I'm not sure they're even trying to suggest they're a links, but traditionally they were called the golf links. Carlow, for example, is referred to as 'the links'. I think, but am not sure, that Rathdowney is too.
John Marr(inan)

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 07:26:32 AM »
My first thought was that it looked like a good deal considering the fee is only $5. As a "links" course?...not so much. The term "links" has become a marketing slogan for clubs in the States to use to cover a lack of trees that most golfers enjoy.
H.P.S.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 07:27:54 AM »
Jack makes a very valid point... ALL golf courses used to be called 'the links' around the turn of the last century, obviously being derived from the fact that most courses were based on "links" land (i.e. the land with poor soil that "links" the sea and the land suitable for farming - the land with good soil)

Craig Sweet

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 07:29:14 AM »
Seems to me that many courses use the word "Links" in their name in a generic way...like "golf links"....

What is disturbing is when a course calls itself a "links style" course and attempts to imitate what most Americans think a seaside "links" course must look like....especially in the middle of the Utah desert.  ;D
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Phil McDade

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 08:22:46 AM »
Matt:

The greens ARE really spongy -- maybe (for a low-budget course that this obviously is...) the single biggest weakness of the course. On the other hand, save for the one short par 3 2nd, the approaches allow golfers to run their ball onto the green. The greens, when I played it recently, do run pretty true, and I held some longish irons shot (like the downhill par 3 8th) into the greens. But, I'd agree their sponginess detracts.

As for the hay, I too recall it being much longer when I first played this course a decade ago. I initially thought the hay was low because it was early in the golf season -- but maybe they've cut it back due to concerns like yours. I lost a ball on my round there; the stuff is still pretty thick in places. Sorry for re-awakening the bad memories.

Michael Dugger -- if you don't view Lytham or Carnoustie as links courses, then you have pretty exacting standards for what determines a links course (more exacting, e.g., than the R&A, which hasn't held an Open on a non-links course in...forever.) My guess is that the Discussion Board crowd that has played both Carnoustie (or Lytham) as well as Sunningdale would point out several significant differences between those courses.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 08:55:18 AM »
but I would not consider lytham a links course anymore than I do sunningdale, carnoustie or st. George hill.
One of the oddest comments I've read here in a long time.  Would anyone else argue that Lytham and Carnoustie are not links?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 12:20:52 PM »
Aside from the name, to me this course does not resemble a links, nor a faux links either.

Primarily because it lacks:

1. Movement.  Both in the overall scheme of things and within the fairways. You rarely have flat stances on a true links.  Where are the undulating lies and uneven stances? 
2. Where is the long hay?  Chambers Bay and Whistling Straits have long hay akin to courses built over genuine "linksland"  Also, where are the dunes or at the very least, faux dunes?
3. Bunkers?  Bunkers were formed on links courses by sheep seeking refuge from the wind.  Be them eroding edge or sod wall bunkers, a links course must have them.  All I see out there are a couple of amoebas.

What this looks like to me is an unobstrusive, simplistic "lay of the land" golf course.
All the playing corridors are broad plains.  This reminds me more of Chicago GC than Ballybunion
It has width......and width is good. It has firm turf, but so does Chicago GC 
It looks like a good place to learn the game.  Easy to find wayward shots.  Probably not too crowded.

I would call this more meadow/parkland. But it is not a links, a true links, genuine links, authentic links or faux links.   

Michael,

Wouldn't necessarily disagree with your analysis of Bonny Meade but think you're overstating it on your definition of a links.

1 - Movement - not all links are a rollercoaster ride. Carnoustie is fairly flat, and yes it is a links, so is the New and Jubilees (both of which are closer to the sea than the Old Course, so are a lot of the holes at Gullane, North Berwick, Muirfield etc. More often than not you get a reasonably level stance on those courses.

2 - Long Hay - this might come down to a simple difference in definition but the only links I can think of off the top of my head which has what I would call long hay is probably Muirfield.

3 -  Bunkers - interesting point, are they a necessity or an optional extra in defining the course as a links ? Can't think of a links off hand which doesn't have bunkers but then not all links land has naturally occuring sandy wastes/bunkers, so is it a given that a true links course should have them ?

Niall

Michael Dugger

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 12:39:19 PM »
For the sake of discussion, because I fully agree there is a lot to "flush out" here, what attributes make Carnoustie or Lytham a "links", in your opinion?

And if Muirfield or Carnoustie or Lytham are indeed links courses, how are they different than Shinnecock, for example?

Thus, would you consider Shinne a links too?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 03:30:17 AM »
For the sake of discussion, because I fully agree there is a lot to "flush out" here, what attributes make Carnoustie or Lytham a "links", in your opinion?

And if Muirfield or Carnoustie or Lytham are indeed links courses, how are they different than Shinnecock, for example?

Thus, would you consider Shinne a links too?

Michael, It's to do with Climate and Vegetation as much as anything else. But it would be worthy remembering why the word "Links" is likely used in the first place. As I mentioned above, "Links" land was a term used to describe the non-farming (and thus relatively useless) land that linked the sea to the farmland. Although sand based, this does not have to mean huge dunes. Some of the most links like courses in the UK are near flat as a pancake.

There is no absolute definition of what a "links" golf course is and it doesn't really matter... But the need to know seems to persist. Think I'll invent a "Class" system from 'Class 1 Links' through to 'Class 3 Links' through to 'Non-links'

Carl Johnson

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 08:58:26 AM »
Jack makes a very valid point... ALL golf courses used to be called 'the links' around the turn of the last century, obviously being derived from the fact that most courses were based on "links" land (i.e. the land with poor soil that "links" the sea and the land suitable for farming - the land with good soil)

Where does the term "links" come from?  According to Forrest Richardson and Mark Fine, "links . . . is a Scottish term from the Old English hlincas, or ridge meaning the undulating sandy ground near a shore . . . ."

The same authors define "linksland" as "land near an open sea, or a bay that is connected directly to an open sea that possesses the characteristics of naturally rolling sand dunes or land features formed by the wind, the ocean and the receding tides."  Both definitions are from p. 279 of "Bunkers, Pits & Other Hazards."

I cann't question the meaning of "hlincas," but doesn't the definition above imply dunes?  Yet in the best discussion of the geography of "links" that I know of, Chapter 1, "The Links," in "Golf: Scotland's Game," by David Hamilton, the author makes clear that while dunes are often found on linksland, they are not a necessary component.  Looking at Hamilton's book again quickly, I could not find an explanation of where the term "links" came from.

Maybe more from me on this later.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back