News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gerrish

Design Competitions
« on: August 05, 2009, 02:53:35 PM »
On the heels of GolfDigest, Golf Inc, etc. and their individual hole design competitions, it made me want to ask if anyone has seen a full 18 hole design competitions for an actual proposed course?  Many historically significant projects have been designed following this process: Central Park, Eiffel Tower, etc.  I know architects compete in informal competitions all the time.  The EIGCA lists guidelines for such endeavors.  How much more prevalent is it in Europe? 

Ian Larson

Re: Design Competitions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 04:07:21 PM »
Not to thread jack, but did anyone see the winning entry for the 2009 Lido?

Nick Schaan

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 07:06:37 PM »
Chambers Bay is an exaple

Jeff Martz

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 07:22:03 PM »
Being my first post, I hope the image is not too big to make it through.  2009 Lido Prize Winner

"To design courses that can be enjoyed even when you're playing badly, and that will stand the test of time, is the art of golf architecture." -- Tom Doak

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 07:28:06 PM »
Being my first post, I hope the image is not too big to make it through.  2009 Lido Prize Winner

Could the good Dr Mackenzie have grounds for a suit based on the similarity between this and his prize winning design?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 10:00:07 PM »
Does seems to have some similarities....

Ian Larson

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 11:09:12 PM »
Jeff,

Oooooh you threw yourself into the lions den. Just so the Lido Competition doesnt completely over ride this thread maybe you should search for the older Lido Prize Competition thread started a few months ago and repost your entry on there. A handful of us also threw ourselves into the lions den with our submissions for critiquing.

I did the work for you, heres the link...

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40198.0.html

I love your entry, post it on this thread for some discussion on it. Did they publish it in Golf World yet?

Whata way to make your first post on here!!!

Jonathan Webb

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 11:09:27 PM »
Jeff,

Nice work.  Here is what I submitted.

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 11:40:56 PM »

Heckuva first post, welcome. You could probably go another 50% bigger and you'd be fine. Most of us usually post images around 800 pixels wide.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jeff Martz

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 11:43:55 PM »
Golf World has not published it yet.  Should be soon...

As for the being my first post, I obviously did not know what I was getting into.   ???
"To design courses that can be enjoyed even when you're playing badly, and that will stand the test of time, is the art of golf architecture." -- Tom Doak

Ian Larson

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 12:01:13 AM »
Jonathan,

You may want to re-phrase your other Lido thread title to include the winning submission is posted.

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 04:14:05 AM »
Here was my entry.

What are the golf digest etc comps, I would love to have a shot at entering another design comp like this?

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 11:55:50 AM »
Great guys..  This is exactly what I'm talking about.  There seems to be a lot of individual hole contests, but not full 18's.   

Nick, I could not find anything on Chambers Bay resulting from a design competition.  You do have any info?

Ross,  Why would anyone hit it to "B", a 12 yard wide target framed by blind bunkers.  It would be by accident.  Most guys would end up a little short of "B" at around 225.  Take the bunkers out of play and then try to get up and down.

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 07:13:31 PM »
Tim,

Last year Mike Weir did a search to find an architect to work with.  Pretty much everybody on this website probably knows by now that Ian Andrew got the job, out of 30 or so Canadian architects that were considered.  Every architect who wished to be considered by Mike and his team had to design an 18-hole course on a site in BC.

So far, I have had the chance to see 5 of the plans that were produced in the process, including mine, and it was amazing to see the differences in every plan submitted.  Sure, there was a few holes similar on each of those plans, but all of them went in totally different directions.  It was amazing to see that how parts of the site I thought were unusable were used by other architects, and vice-versa!

I doubt we will ever see these plans posted anywhere, except for the plan prepared by Ian once the course actually opens, one day, I hope (the site was actually pretty cool).  This is a shame, though.  It is not only a great way to see how different architects are thinking, and how they go about planning their projects, but it is also pretty cool to see the graphics prepared by these guys.

I dream of one day seeing all of the plans that were submitted.  I bet this would be eye opening!!!

YP
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 08:17:38 AM »
YP,

Good stuff.  Though Mr. Cornish is Canadian we were not part of the competition.  Ian is a good guy.  I'll contact him about the competition too. 

This is an interesting twist to my competition theory.  Competition to get a job, not an individual project!  Do you have any of the original guidelines, etc.?  Interesting how different the plans are.  We all see something different.  This feeds into my theory that competition would bring out the best design for a project, architect aside.

Cheers

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back