News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Re: If you really wanted to "Tiger Proof" a golf course wouldn't you
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2009, 12:28:13 PM »
Just a couple of fun facts from 2007, Tiger's last full season:

-Tiger was number 1 in lowest scoring on par 5s and par 4s. He dropped to 4th (whoop-dee-do) on par 3s. There are few players of any import even close to him in these categories.
-In the 1,080 holes he played he was under par 23.43% of the time, 1st place in that category.
-He was #2 in eagles per hole.
-He was 8th in  bird/eagle conversions
-His final round scoring average(he was 1st) was 3/4 of a stroke lower than 2nd place and one full stroke lower than the guy who placed 7th.
-His 3rd round scoring average( (he was 2nd) was one full stroke better than the guy who placed 7th.   
-He was 1st in GIR, 1st in number of putts per GIR, and 48th in number of putts per round.

It's delusional  ::)  to believe that Tiger wouldn't remain head and shoulders above his opponents even on highly contoured greens.

Jim,
I think the significance of these stats provides additional reinforcement for your argument when one examines the type of courses that Tiger chooses to play.  It is only a bit of a generalization, perhaps, to say that he plays ONLY in events that would tend to have tougher greens; he skips the "birdie-fest" events NOT because he couldn't win them, but because they are not what he is about.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jim_Kennedy

Re: If you really wanted to "Tiger Proof" a golf course wouldn't you New
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2009, 02:33:01 PM »
Pat,
I was using the non-specific and generic 'delusional'.  ;D

Johnny Miller assessed the situation well when he said that Tiger doesn't have to face tough closers like Nicklaus, Trevino, Watson, etc.. When you add in the fact that he's always making par savers or birdie putts that rip the hearts right out of his opponents, I tend to believe that the pressure is getting the best of his opponents, except Ed Fiori. If the greens get wilder, he'll only get 'better' as more of his fellow competitors retch it up.

I won't say it's destiny, but I do think Tiger creates as much of his fate as is humanly possible.   

A.G.
I think that's true, much in the same way that Jack chose what to play and what to skip. The two best players of the last 50 years stay away from the run-of-the-mill greens because they know how much better than the pack they are on the tougher surfaces, both in talent and mental fortitude.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 02:41:58 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back