News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

I made a quick weekend trip to Northern  Va to sneak a few early spring rounds in. In addition to Virginia National and Blue Ridge Shadows, we snuck in a quick 9 at Front Royal GC. Cost was $18 for 9 holes with a cart. The course is walkable with a short jaunt between hole #4 and #5 tee.

Designed in the 1930's as a Civilian Conversation Corps project. The facility was originally constructed in 1938 by the Civilian Conservation Corps on land donated by William Carson with the course built to his design. For some odd reason I seem to seek these types of golf courses out lately. It tipped out at less than 3100 yards, was super fun, had great greens (somewhat) and one of the better, IMO, par 3's (#3) that I have played in awhile.

The greens LOOKED TERRIBLE but were SUPER FAST and anything dying near the hole, did tricks. I have never seen golf balls curve away from the hole instead of stopping, pretty neat, and challenging. It looks like they had aierated the greens last fall, and where each hole closed up was a darker color of grass (maybe Poa Anna???). The greens were somewhat on the small side, yet a few had some killer and subtle contours.

There is a set of railroad tracks that bisects the course as well. The last few holes are near the banks of the Shenandoah River. If you enjoy CCC courses and can look past conditioning (or the lack therof) play a quick 9 here. In fact we played 9 in less than 1:30 min!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:39:16 PM by Rich Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Richard Hetzel

Re: Front Royal GC - A CCC course in Front Royal Virginia - PICS
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 09:31:13 PM »
A few more pics....
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Richard Hetzel

Re: Front Royal GC - A CCC course in Front Royal Virginia - PICS New
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 09:32:22 PM »
Last set...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:42:32 PM by Rich Hetzel »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 09:32:52 PM »
Rich,

Thanks for this thread.

I LOVE these type of courses.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:36:01 PM »
Rich,

Here's some more info, including architectural attribution.

http://www.warrencountyva.net/pr_countryclub.asp

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back