News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pritchett

Re: Myrtle Beach Sleepers
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 09:56:09 AM »
You could make the drive to Wilmington, NC and play the Donald Ross Municipal Course, probably less than $35.

CJ Carder

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 12:19:20 PM »
Surf is now private... not open to any "golf package" play.

Michael, are you sure about this?  I know it is now private, but I was under the impression that if you stayed at the Tilghman Golf and Beach Club on 19th or 20th Ave North, that they had some sort of deal to play Surf. 

BTW, do you live in the area?  If so, pm me... my in-laws have a place down there and I'm there quite frequently.  Perhaps we could get together and play sometime.

Eric Smith

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 12:43:37 PM »
Marsh Harbor was taken back by the owner, Ladane Williamson, when The Legend Group's operating lease expired. She also took back Ocean Harbor.

Both of those were good golf courses.  Here's a link to an article about their closings. http://www.myrtlebeachgolf.com/departments/news/marsh-harbour-closure.htm

It's tough to beat the Legends when in Myrtle Beach.  My group has been several times over the years and when polled, the majority favors stay and play at the Legends.  As with many things, the first one was the best one.

What's funny is when I planned that first one back in 1999, "The 5th Major" we call it, I chose courses designed by 3 current GCAers:

-Tom Doak (Legends - Heathland)
-Jeff Brauer (Wild Wing -Avocet)
-Clyde Johnston (Ocean Harbour)

our 4th course was P.B. Dye's Moorland also at the Legends.

Tim Taylor

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009, 12:44:15 PM »
Heading down Friday for 18-36-36-18. We're playing Arrowhead (due to airport proximity), Lion's Paw, Panther's Run, Tiger's Eye, Leopard's Chase, and Oyster Bay.

Hope the weather cooperates.

Tim

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009, 01:19:58 PM »
Indian Wells is kind of old-school and much more interesting than Litchfield, in my opinion. 

River Club is also a pretty decent course for the money; I prefer it to Willbrook and Tradition Club.

I second the recommendation of The Witch.

And as a homer, I feel I ought to put in a plug for Pawleys Plantation as well.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2009, 12:04:05 AM »
Surf is now private... not open to any "golf package" play.

Michael, are you sure about this?  I know it is now private, but I was under the impression that if you stayed at the Tilghman Golf and Beach Club on 19th or 20th Ave North, that they had some sort of deal to play Surf. 

BTW, do you live in the area?  If so, pm me... my in-laws have a place down there and I'm there quite frequently.  Perhaps we could get together and play sometime.

CJ - You could be right about Tilghman, but they don't list The Surf as one of the available course on their website. Years ago you had to stay at a select group of handpicked hotels to play The Dunes, maybe The Surf now offers a similar arrangement. I'd check with the club.

I live in Greenville, but have a house in North Litchfield (where I am this week!!!). We're in Litchfield 6-8 times per year.

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 06:07:40 AM »
Founders Club, especially the back nine, is well worth seeing.  Although private, I have always thought that the back nine at Wachesaw Plantation was the best nine on the Strand.  The gunsight 14th has an astounding amount of elevation change making you think you are anyplace other than Myrtle.

JC

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back