News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale Jackson

Lido?
« on: March 24, 2009, 02:52:16 PM »
Doing some research today and I came across this tidbit in the Canadian Golfer Magazine from 1916.  It sounds like Lido.

Mr. C.B. Macdonald, of New York, the well-known expert, the autumn has completed the layout of the most unique golf course in the world.  A flat sea-meadow at Long Beach, not far from the metropolis, has been converted into an ideal links by the simple though expensive plan of pouring out a golf course as Mr. Edison pours out concrete houses.  The sea meadow was first filled in where the water covered it, and the all the hills and undulations and features of an ideal course were constructed by pumping sand out of the lagoon on to the level surface of the meadow.  The course was seeded this fall, and will be ready for play next year.  The outlay has been enormous.  On this “hand-made” and “man-made” course Mr. Macdonald has been able to duplicate some of the most famous of the old world holes.

Canadian Golfer, December 1916
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Mike_Cirba

Re: Lido?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 04:52:04 PM »
Yep...that was Lido, no doubt.

Nice find...thanks!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 11:36:11 PM »
Dale,

For those who have enjoyed the show "History Detective's" on PBS, a couple of years ago there was a question as to identifying a house as being one of the very few "Edison Concrete Homes" actually built.

To see this reference to that work is really neat!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 02:40:09 AM »
I wonder if Lido looked and/or played much like NGLA.  Or did the courses have different personalities altogether? 

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 07:14:01 AM »
I wonder if Lido looked and/or played much like NGLA.  Or did the courses have different personalities altogether? 

Lido as a property, even with the molding, would have been flatter and devoid of trees.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back