News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Would the 17th at ANGC
« on: March 05, 2009, 09:20:48 PM »
be a better hole if Ike's Tree were gone ?

Part II,

Is there a more anticipated time of the year in the North & Northeast for golfers, as the two weeks leading up to and ending with... The Masters ?

TEPaul

Re: Would the 17th at ANGC
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 12:24:22 AM »
"Would the 17th at ANGC be any better if Ike's tree were gone."

Patrick, would any of your posts be any better if your head was gone? Never mind, Pal, that's just a rhetorical question?

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 03:26:37 AM »
I like where you're headed, Patrick.

Here's the real question: would the Road Hole at TOC benefit from a cypress tree in the front bunker?! IMO that's what it has been missing all these years ;D

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 08:05:05 AM »

Part II,

Is there a more anticipated time of the year in the North & Northeast for golfers, as the two weeks leading up to and ending with... The Masters ?

Nope! When the Masters is on TV, it means that the Golf Season has started in Chicago.
H.P.S.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 08:53:11 AM »
Does Ike's tree come in play for the pro's?  Seems like it doesn't present many problems for them.   How about everyone else?

CJ Carder

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 02:38:51 PM »
I don't think so.  Not only would that kill part of the "Augusta lore," but doesn't a drive placed down the left side of the fairway mean having to worry less about the false front on the front-right corner?  You have to have something out there.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 02:45:17 PM »

Let me ask this. I think the timing of The Masters has alot to do with the anticipation. It signals the start of the golfing year for many.

If it was played in August would it be as popular? If it was the 2nd 3rd 4th major would it be as popular?

Anthony

Greg Chambers

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 03:22:08 PM »
If the masters was in August, the Azaleas wouldn't be in bloom...
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 03:27:04 PM »
the first Buffalo course opened today...Terry Hills in Batavia.  We're all champing at the bit.  The Masters doesn't cause the fervor; it is coincidental.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

jim_lewis

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 05:29:18 PM »
Patrick:

Absolutely yes!!! Ike was right. The tree should have been eliminated 60 years ago. Except for the very longest hitters the tree is in play. and every time they move the tee back it makes the situation worse. In my view, the 17th is a very mediocre hole and the tree is the main culprit. To make matters even worse, they have planted several newer trees beyond the Ike tree in anticipation that it might die someday. That means it is not good enough just to clear the big tree. You also have to clear the pines in front it. The result is that most players have to play to the right of the tree leaving the most awkward line to the green over the front bunker.

Jim Lewis
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 05:58:58 PM »
be a better hole if Ike's Tree were gone ?

Part II,

Oh joy... we are only a few weeks away from Mr. Mucci's annual charge that CBS "sweetens" the video of their Master's broadcast by pumping up the color green.

Hope springs eternal!

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 08:10:04 PM »
Jim Nugent,

I believe it does.
I wonder what distance it will play at this year ?

CJ Carder,

No, neither side eliminates the false front.

Anthony Grey and Greg Chambers,

If it was played in August, noone would be there since the club is closed May to October.

Jim Lewis,

I'm with you.

Mike Whitaker,

Think filters, not weights.

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 08:40:52 PM »
Patrick:

Why don't you take a position on whether you think the 17th at ANGC would be better if the "Ike Tree" was gone.

I think it might be instructive to this board to rerecord what Clifford Robert's actually said to IKE at a club committee meeting when IKE suggested the tree should be removed!  ;)

On the other hand, you are such a dolt on the history and evolution of most clubs and courses you post threads about you probably aren't even aware of what Roberts said to IKE.  ;)

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 09:53:28 PM »

Let me ask this. I think the timing of The Masters has alot to do with the anticipation. It signals the start of the golfing year for many.

If it was played in August would it be as popular? If it was the 2nd 3rd 4th major would it be as popular?

Anthony,

The tournament is popular around the world, and believe it or not, some of us have different seasons to you!

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Anthony Gray

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 10:33:26 PM »

Anthony,

The tournament is popular around the world, and believe it or not, some of us have different seasons to you!

Matthew

Matthew,

Thanks for the culture. I'm a hermit.

Anthony

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 10:48:24 PM »
Patrick:

Why don't you take a position on whether you think the 17th at ANGC would be better if the "Ike Tree" was gone.

I did.
Evidently, you missed it.
Ya snooze, ya looze.

I think it might be instructive to this board to rerecord what Clifford Robert's actually said to IKE at a club committee meeting when IKE suggested the tree should be removed!  ;)

It's a great story.

Roberts had the tree planted.
Some of the members hated it.
They complained to everyone, including Roberts.
Their complaints fell on deaf ears.
Finally, Ike, then the sitting President came to play.
Fellow members, friends and acquaintances approached him and told him of the horrendous tree Roberts had planted and how it interfered with play.
Ike played a few rounds and also found the tree invasive and annoying.
Right before the annual meeting everyone approached Ike and told him that Roberts wouldn't listen to them, but surely, if the President of the United States spoke at the annual meeting Roberts would have to listen to Ike's prudent plea.
The meeting was held.
The business of the club was conducted.
When the agenda was complete, Roberts then opened the meeting up to the general membership.
Ike raised his hand and was recognized.
Ike then commented on how he and the entire membership found that the tree was an invasive nuisance, disliked by the entire membership and should be removed.
Roberts looked at Ike.
Then, slammed his gavel and stated.
"Gentlemen, that concludes this year's annual meeting, I look forward to seeing you next year."
Ike was left standing, mouth agape, in disbelief.

Or so the story goes.

On the other hand, you are such a dolt on the history and evolution of most clubs and courses you post threads about you probably aren't even aware of what Roberts said to IKE.  ;)

What's not known about that meeting is that Roberts approached Ike after the meeting.  Some members thought it was to make amends.
Instead, Roberts shook Ike's hand and said.  Mr President, while I have great respect for you, there are two things that I hope you will never do.
"One, don't make suggestions regarding the golf course, and secondly, but, more importantly, don't ever suggest a member of the Paul family for membership.  They're notorious for their attempt at trying to revise club histories.  They can't help themselves, it's a genetic defect.

Ike, to his credit responded to Roberts as follows, "Cliff, I can't promise you that I won't comment on the golf course, but, I'd rather spend Billions building a National Defense and Interstate Highway System rather then let those radical revisionsts in here."  Let them stay and play where they belong, in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey, Hell, that way we won't hear from them for a generation or two.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back