News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: The Best Par-3 Courses
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 04:15:22 PM »
Another one covered many times before, but what the heck.

Tom,

I would assume this could be said about 99% of the threads out there.  If instead of starting new threads (and consequently new discussions), people simply searched old threads of a similar nature, this website would turn from a DISCUSSION BOARD to an archival/research site (the Wikipedia of GCA??).

So please, spare us!   ;D

Sorry George - of course you are correct.  It does just get frusrating for us old-timers, that's all.  Answering the same thing time and time again... hopefully you understand.

PCCraig

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 04:18:56 PM »
Pat, I'm interested in the answer as well. I think the reversible course works well on a par 3 course. Another concept I'm interested in is the "kid's" course. Here I'm envisioning something about the length of a par 3 course, but with the design intent on beginners. So basically the length might be 1000-1200 yards, but it's not a "short course" by any means. 220 yards would be a true 3-shot par 5, 140 yards would be a medium length par 4 etc. If it were done with this in mind, I would think it would end up looking a lot different than a par 3 course with holes of the exact same length.

A great "short" course is the Chicago CDGA course designed to teach special needs persons golf;

http://www.cdga.org/detail.asp?id=49&pid=8

For me, I would think that the future health of the game is not through making 18 hole courses cheaper, it is building more short courses that allow players ranging from kids to +1 players enjoy the course each in a unique way. By being short it will almost naturally be easier to build and cheaper to play.
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 04:20:04 PM »

Tom,

I would assume this could be said about 99% of the threads out there.  If instead of starting new threads (and consequently new discussions), people simply searched old threads of a similar nature, this website would turn from a DISCUSSION BOARD to an archival/research site (the Wikipedia of GCA??).

Sorry George - of course you are correct.  It does just get frusrating for us old-timers, that's all.  Answering the same thing time and time again... hopefully you understand.

For the record I did search "best par 3 course" in the search feature above and got nothing. I thought I came across something that hadn't been covered before.
H.P.S.

George Freeman

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 04:20:38 PM »

Tom,

Tom, I do.  Just giving you a hard time...

I've been on this site for about 15 months.  Give it some more time and who knows, I may start using that disclaimer before venturing into any thread...

Bah, humbug!

- George
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 04:22:34 PM »
George - us Scrooges do need to stick together.

Pat - note I am such.  But also if you expect the search here to work that easily, boy you are new.  Anyway it's nothing against you... just more my curmudgeonliness.

PCCraig

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2009, 04:29:56 PM »
George - us Scrooges do need to stick together.

Pat - note I am such.  But also if you expect the search here to work that easily, boy you are new.  Anyway it's nothing against you... just more my curmudgeonliness.

I have been here long enough (2004) to know that the search really doesn't work all that well. I just wanted to note for the record that I made the effort.  :)
H.P.S.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 04:35:48 PM »
Pat, I'm interested in the answer as well. I think the reversible course works well on a par 3 course. Another concept I'm interested in is the "kid's" course. Here I'm envisioning something about the length of a par 3 course, but with the design intent on beginners. So basically the length might be 1000-1200 yards, but it's not a "short course" by any means. 220 yards would be a true 3-shot par 5, 140 yards would be a medium length par 4 etc. If it were done with this in mind, I would think it would end up looking a lot different than a par 3 course with holes of the exact same length.

A great "short" course is the Chicago CDGA course designed to teach special needs persons golf;

For me, I would think that the future health of the game is not through making 18 hole courses cheaper, it is building more short courses that allow players ranging from kids to +1 players enjoy the course each in a unique way. By being short it will almost naturally be easier to build and cheaper to play.

You know, I think that every municipality large enough to have a parks department ought to have something like that. I realize that it could be quite costly depending on land availability, maintenance, environmental etcetera, but even so, what a nice activity to have available.

To get it done, I can see a partnership with privately funded golf courses working. The city gives some TIF or expedites the permitting or what have you. Then the Course donates 10-15 acres and maintains it. If the donated land is adjacent to the course, no need for facilities to be built beyond a starter shack.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2009, 04:41:55 PM »
Hmmm,

I never expected Lake Chabot to be such a lightening Rod.

Tom is right though, conditions can suck indeed, and about half the holes I think have matts for tees.  But the holes are very varied.  While most are wedge type holes, one is a fairly long.  But ultimately its thier variety that I love the most.

One plays straight up the hill, another plays from one ridge to another, another has a beautiful drop off setting behind it, and yet on another the green is built right into the crack of two small hills that join together.

Its also dirt cheap, and easy to lug a few beers on, and all that too.  I guess that sort of the point, its the entire package.   ;D  Perhaps its best to compare it to the Painswick or Lincoln Park of short par 3 courses....its simply fun, fun, and more fun.

All this being said, I'm sure I'd love the Cliffs par 3 course even better, but as I've never played it, I can't say for sure.

PCCraig

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2009, 04:42:37 PM »

You know, I think that every municipality large enough to have a parks department ought to have something like that. I realize that it could be quite costly depending on land availability, maintenance, environmental etcetera, but even so, what a nice activity to have available.

To get it done, I can see a partnership with privately funded golf courses working. The city gives some TIF or expedites the permitting or what have you. Then the Course donates 10-15 acres and maintains it. If the donated land is adjacent to the course, no need for facilities to be built beyond a starter shack.

I think you are on to something.

Why not have a 4 or 5 hole course that is only open to kids under 15. Parent's can play after 4  :)

You can charge the kids $2...only cut the greens every 3 days with a hand mower...no bunkers...no water...fence the whole property in...have one guy cut all the grass and one guy as a starter.  It wouldn't take much and what a great addition to a neighborhood...esp an inner city one.

I can't imagine it be hard to find a GCA to work for less than usual to draw up a quick 5 hole set.

One of the best things about sports like Basketball, Baseball, Hockey is that they all had a place where kids could go close to home to play with other kids. This idea would bring the course to kids.
H.P.S.

Mike Benham

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »

For the record I did search "best par 3 course" in the search feature above and got nothing. I thought I came across something that hadn't been covered before.

Here are few threads on 9-holers and par-3 courses:

9-hole courses

To the Nines

Golfweek

And finally, the final post in this thread might be someone you know ...

Notable 9-hole Courses
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Sean Leary

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2009, 05:03:30 PM »

Here are few threads on 9-holers and par-3 courses:

9-hole courses

To the Nines

Golfweek

And finally, the final post in this thread might be someone you know ...

Notable 9-hole Courses

I am shocked that one of the oldest members on this site is the one who knows the search function the best...

Ed Oden

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2009, 05:23:54 PM »
On my only visit to Friars Head, the weather conditions were absolutely terrible.  Cold, driving rain and very windy.  So we skipped the par 3 course.  Based on what I could see, it looked like a lot of fun.  For those who have played Friars Head's par 3 course, how was it?

Ed

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2009, 05:28:36 PM »
I had the exact same thing happen at Colorado GC, outside of Denver... I'd love a report from anyone who has played the par three course there - it looked really cool from afar....

TH

Lester George

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2009, 05:42:43 PM »
Kanawha Club, Manakin-Sabot, Virginia

Only 50 members

Holes range from 105 yards to 240 yards

Excellent piece of land and fantastic architect

Lester

Jim Thornton

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2009, 06:29:11 PM »
Spotswood Course at the Golden Horseshoe in Williamsburg, VA.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2009, 06:48:08 PM »
My favorite is Monterey Park Par 3 in Los Angeles. I used to play it after work with a bunch of guys, it is night lighted, and it has some changes in elevation with one driveable par 4 and mostly wedges on the rest.  Greens were very furry and slow but consistant. It is the only night lighted course that I would recommend.
Sinaloa Par 3 in Simi Valley, CA  has some interesting GCA thanks to Geoff Shackelford, I believe it has a Redan and some other classic greens. Some Kings Putter participants might want to warm up there on the way to Ojai.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2009, 06:57:16 PM »
Homer nomination:

I really enjoy smacking it around on the par 3 course at Grandfather with my family...there are some really fun holes...check out this 90 yd gem played over a natural boulder field and mountain stream.

I also have had a lot of fun on the THREETOPS course at Treetops Resort in Gaylord, MI.

Bart

PCCraig

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2009, 07:38:49 PM »
Any nomination for best urban par-3 course??
H.P.S.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2009, 08:25:10 PM »

It's a neat idea...but great course is really stretching it.

PCCraig

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2009, 08:32:56 PM »

It is more of a rambling on how more par-3 courses could become "great" by being more like it.

H.P.S.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2009, 08:34:50 PM »

It is more of a rambling on how more par-3 courses could become "great" by being more like it.

Fair enough...the best part about that course was that nobody ever plays it so you could basically play to any green you wanted from anywhere.  Cross country golf was the only way to make the course interesting.

PCCraig

Re: The Best Par-3 Courses / Anatomy of a Short Course
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Kyle-

I think less sq. ft. of green, neat and unique green complexes, and more ability to play cross country golf is in my opinion the key to creating a successful short course.

All-

So my question now is, what would be the main issues with building a course with nine greens on a flat piece of land, almost all fairway, and the ability to move tees and reroute the course every day?
H.P.S.

Damon Groves

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2009, 11:00:41 PM »
The right half of the driving range at Bandon Dunes becomes a great Par 3 course in the afternoons.

Sadly many of the classic courses had Par 3 courses but were taken away. Riviera for example had a great Par 3 course where the driving range currently is.

Tim Book

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2009, 11:17:59 PM »
Tim,

Has Sinola been worked on in the last 20 years?  I spent many summer afternoons there as a kid.  From what I remember I don't think there was any GCA influence back then?  Then again I doubt I had a clue what a Redan was at the time.

John Burzynski

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2009, 08:49:01 AM »
We have a par 3 in South Bend, Studebaker Golf Course, and it is definitely right in an urban setting.  Not the best of neighborhoods surrounding it, but lots of great golf at 1898 yards, 7 par 3's and 2 par 4's. 

Nice and tree lined, very well kept for a par 3 muni which sees lots of abuse by uninformed or younger golfers who simply don't care what they do to abuse the course and greens.    They hold a summer long junior golf clinic there, and almost everyone I know in town swung their first club there (self included), and spent long 'all you can play for $3' days there as youngsters (sadly that deal is gone).    My kids enjoy(ed) going there, the length is manageable for say a 10 or 11 year old and even for the accomplished golfer there is the chance to work on the short / medium irons.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back