News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Re:Anthony Pioppi's new book-- "To the Nines"
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2006, 04:18:44 PM »
Jim,

The next project is a docudrama... "The Making of To the Nines."

Tony

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2006, 08:32:02 AM »
Tony wanted me to post this.

Though he did not specialize in them, Perry Maxwell did a large number of them, somewhere between 15 to 20 and perhaps more that have not been discovered, so basically 25% of his designs.  Most of them were stops in small Oklahoma or Kansas towns where he would come in and design and construct 9 holes and leave a routing for an additional 9 that the club could use as plans for when they wanted to add on to the course.  He usually did this because of the club lacking funds for a full course.  Several of the clubs eventually built 9 holes based on the Maxwell routing but used another architect like Floyd Farley or someone else in the area.  

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2006, 12:49:45 PM »
I suspect a number of regional architects did that as well. In New England, Geoffrey Cornish designed nine holes that years later he expanded as 18, or designed 18 and only nine was built with the second 9 added much later.

Tony

Eddie Adams

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2006, 03:30:45 PM »
Where is my copy and does it have pictures????

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2006, 03:32:29 PM »
Nine is hot this year...great steak house, best new TV show since 24 and now this book.

George Pazin

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2006, 03:40:45 PM »
Tony wanted me to post this.

Though he did not specialize in them, Perry Maxwell did a large number of them, somewhere between 15 to 20 and perhaps more that have not been discovered, so basically 25% of his designs.  Most of them were stops in small Oklahoma or Kansas towns where he would come in and design and construct 9 holes and leave a routing for an additional 9 that the club could use as plans for when they wanted to add on to the course.  He usually did this because of the club lacking funds for a full course.  Several of the clubs eventually built 9 holes based on the Maxwell routing but used another architect like Floyd Farley or someone else in the area.  

Do you think this was a Depression related decision, or simply the markets he chose?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Brad Klein

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2006, 10:42:06 AM »
I included a (modest) write up of Pioppi's book and we feature the book's cover in our latest Golfweek issue special on "Architecture." See the current GW website and go to the text on books for a taste:

http://www.golfweek.com/destinations/features/287233134315259.php

Donnie Beck

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2006, 09:16:33 AM »
Tony,

Are you still coming to golf day? I know of a few people that would love to purchase a signed copy. How much is your signing fee ?

Tim Liddy

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2006, 10:18:56 AM »
I received my copy last night and read the chapter on Prairie Dunes.  Great stuff.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2006, 01:05:27 PM »
Tim,

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Playing the original 9 in order (1, 2, 6-10, 17-18) of the current configuration) with superintendent Stan George and my friend Brett Zimmerman is one of the highlights of the book research.

Tony

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2006, 03:22:01 PM »
George,

Considering a large number of these were in the 20s I would say that it was more of a market decision and limitations of the client.  But for those done in the 30s I would say the Depression had an impact.  

Something else of note that I failed to mention was that a considerable number were also sand green courses.  

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2006, 02:16:30 PM »
Tony

I finished reading your book this weekend.

Nice job taking us from the coast of Maine to the redwoods of California with the sand greens of Kansas in between.

I particularly enjoyed when you played through that group in San Francisco.  

Its nice to see that there is more character in the game then a young kid in plus fours taking your clubs from your trunk at a CCFD.

George Pazin

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2006, 03:08:36 PM »
Guess what book showed up at my local Borders yesterday?

Well, it wasn't there for long, anyway. I'm hoping the quick purchase will encourage the store to buy more.

I only read the Highland Links chapter last night, but it brought back a lot of fond memories.

Well done, Tony, can't wait to dive into the rest.

Thanks for the answers, Chris.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2006, 03:59:58 PM »
Geoff,

Gleneagles may be the most hardcore golf course I have ever been on, public or private. The regulars are insane.

George,

Good to see its made its way to the shelves. I'll be interested to read your  opinion.

Tony

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2006, 04:49:50 PM »
I don't know Tony, but I listened to  Tony on the TravelGolf.com podcast talk about the book.

John Keenan

« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2006, 05:12:24 PM »
Tony

I have been planning on getting over to SF to play Gleneagles but I must ask what do you "the most hardcore"

Then you follow it up with they are insane!!

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2006, 05:18:05 PM »
Thomas,

Did I sound coherent?

John,

Read the chapter. It will answer all your questions. Gleneagles is worth playing.

Tony

John Keenan

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2006, 06:08:43 PM »
Tony

Good sales pitch. I am awaiting your book from my daughter as a birthday gift. Sent her to Amazon

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2006, 06:40:34 PM »
Tony, what about Mare Island Naval Shipyard's nine holer in Vallejo, California?  It had a really good set of "second nine" tees, really a different angles and distances from the "front nine" set.  Was this a typical treatment for nine holers?

Mike Hendren, maybe 15 years ago I had a free afternoon in Nashville while doing a trade show at the Opryland, and drove over to Sewanee where my brother went to school in the late '60's.  There wasn't anybody around - at all! - and no honor box, so I just teed it up one October afternoon and had a great time playing two balls.  I really liked the par 5 that came back toward the clubhouse, and one long par 3 across a bunch of trouble.  Otherwise it's sort of faded from memory.  Agreed to the  8) 8) 8) but conditioning was  ??? :P :-X

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2006, 07:30:44 PM »
John,

Obviously your daughter loves you very, very, very much.

Bill,

Never heard of Mare Island; so many nines, so little time.

I'm not sure there was a typical course setup for 9 holes. Cohasse CC, a Donald Ross in Massachusetts, always had two sets of tees from what I know, and the tees were large enough to accompany that while other courses only had room for one set.

Anthony

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2006, 06:00:42 PM »
Anthony

My friend Steve (who you've played with at Yale) just played Fenwick on Saturday. He had a blast telling me about it yesterday on the golf course and I told him about your book. I think he will pick up a copy.

Circulation is all the way up to triple digits now  ;D

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2006, 06:39:43 PM »
Geoff,

It just rocketed up to #30,361 on Amazon.com. Thanks for all your help. You are very, very influential in the world golf community.

After seeing the Rolling Rock drawings aren't you sorry you didn't come take up my offer to play there this year?

Anthony

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2006, 07:21:08 PM »
Tony

I will (almost) never doubt you again  :)

Emmy

« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2006, 01:45:05 PM »
Tony,

Congratulations on your radio interview this morning on KNBR's Hooked on Golf Radio Show. Your spirit radiated as you shared interesting facts about your new book. Any book signings set for California in the near future?

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2006, 03:42:24 PM »
Emmy,

Thanks for the compliment. My only West Coast gig is a possibility of a signing at the golf course superintendents national show in Anaheim. If all goes well I'll be co-headlining with fellow Sports Media Group author and Golfdom Contributing Editor, the man know to you and some of me as Geoff Shackleford.

If I get out there I'd love to do other signings; maybe a Barnes and Noble since they are stocking my books in many of the stores.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back