News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Cenci

Black Diamond - Quarry (w/ Pics)
« on: March 04, 2009, 04:22:32 PM »
Had the chance recently to play the great Quarry course at Black Diamond in Lecanto, Florida.  I really enjoyed the course and like most I thought the 5 holes actually along or in the Quarry were simply amazing.  Here are some pictures of some of the holes (please forgive me if I have some of the hole numbers wrong).

For those that have had a chance to play there what are your thoughts and how do you think the 5 Quarry holes should be looked at in deciding how good the overall course is (sorry I don't have a picture of #17)?

Hole #1:

Hole #2:

Hole #5:

Hole #7:

Hole #8:

Hole #9:

Hole #11:

Hole #13:

Hole #14:

Hole #15:

Hole# 16:

Hole #18:

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 11:27:07 AM by Brian Cenci »

PCCraig

Re: Black Diamond - Quarry (w/ Pics)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 06:46:59 PM »
Thanks for the pictures.

Everyone talks about the quarry holes and rightfully so, however I never thought the front nine was all that bad. In fact I always thought they were really good in themselves. However the quarry holes seem to vault it into the top 100.
H.P.S.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 07:48:23 PM »
I always hear such mixed emotions on Black Diamond, but for Florida it looks very unique. Even the non-quarry holes.

Bill Weber

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:48:39 AM »
Brian, the first frowning face is #7 the second #8.
Pat, the first time I played BD I was ready to join after the first 9. I felt the elevation changes were not "Florida golf" and after playing 18 I found an entry level cottage and moved from Naples.
I am now back in Naples after 10 years there and have a sick feeling about leaving BD every time I think of it. Leaving had nothing to do with the golf courses. The Ranch back in my opinion is nearly as good as the Quarry and doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 11:28:09 AM »
Brian, the first frowning face is #7 the second #8.
Pat, the first time I played BD I was ready to join after the first 9. I felt the elevation changes were not "Florida golf" and after playing 18 I found an entry level cottage and moved from Naples.
I am now back in Naples after 10 years there and have a sick feeling about leaving BD every time I think of it. Leaving had nothing to do with the golf courses. The Ranch back in my opinion is nearly as good as the Quarry and doesn't get the respect it deserves.

Thanks!  We had a chance to play the back 9 of the Ranch.  I thought it was solid as well but it was about 30 degrees out and my playing partners wanted to pack it in so we didn't get a chance to play the front 9 to get an overall assessment of the Ranch course.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »
I always hear such mixed emotions on Black Diamond, but for Florida it looks very unique. Even the non-quarry holes.

I'm not sure what mixed emotions would be.  I think it's a top 100 course...without the Quarry holes it's probably borderline top 100.  But I think you look at those holes like any other course with 5 really strong holes.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 06:42:57 PM »
The back tee on 16 was/is awful however.

Bill Weber

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 03:54:41 AM »
There are two back tee's which one are you referring to? If I had the length to play the one part way up the cart part and biting off as much quarry as courage and ability allow I would love it! The other tee behind the forward tee is claustrophobic I admit but so are the forward tee's for those of us who are distance impaired. In my opinion this is the best hole on the course with OB both left and right (the quarry is OB) and just a terrific green. Gut check on the tee and fairway as well.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 08:16:36 AM »
There are two back tee's which one are you referring to? If I had the length to play the one part way up the cart part and biting off as much quarry as courage and ability allow I would love it! The other tee behind the forward tee is claustrophobic I admit but so are the forward tee's for those of us who are distance impaired. In my opinion this is the best hole on the course with OB both left and right (the quarry is OB) and just a terrific green. Gut check on the tee and fairway as well.

Yea...it was a three shotter for me the day wee played with the wind right into you off the tee.  I liked the hole and really liked the green complex.  I'd love to see the pros play that hole in a tourney and see how they handle it.

Bill Weber

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 11:31:50 AM »
The leader the last day of a major collegiate tournament a few years ago put two balls in a row into the quarry. Bye Bye.
Our Invitational each year had a shotgun start on the quarry holes assigned by flight, in an alternate shot shootout. The year we started on 16 saw every single player in our flight put his ball into the quarry.
I would imagine the pro's would hit an iron off the tee and would handle it nicely.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »

Bill, It has been more than a decade since I last played Black Diamond but I have a lasting memory of the 16th tee and the feeling I was teeing off into the face of the Quarry... tee seemed quite low in relation to the Quarry wall... just seemed like a head scratcher to me.

The opposite of the back tee on 13... I took extra club so I did not have to swing hard, lose balance and wind up in the bottom of the hole! Really liked 13 and 15 - 14 and 16... not so much.

Mark Hissey

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 08:46:53 PM »
#16 was one of the worst holes I've played in a while.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back