News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Joe Perches

I have to agree
« on: March 03, 2009, 01:46:23 AM »
With Derek Lawrenson

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-1153466/Derek-Lawrenson-Oh-Danny-boy-Its-man-8217-s-game-Lee-youngest-winner.html

----------------------------

Are we agreed that playing golf in America is, on the whole, overpriced, overcrowded and overrated? Let me describe an experience at a course called Rustic Canyon just north of Los Angeles that conclusively demonstrates it doesn't have to be this way.

Here was a revelatory little gem where there was no clubhouse the size of a mansion, and no bag drop for people too lazy to walk from the car park.

There were no water hazards, no fairways lined with unimaginative swathes of rough, and no greens surrounded by bunkers, thus allowing you to play the ball along the ground, should you choose, rather than being forced to play target golf.

In short, all the principles that makes links golf the biggest thrill in the game have been applied by designer Geoff Shackelford, including greens next to tees which meant - shock, horror! - you could even walk rather than take a buggy.

Best of all, it cost £20 to play, and was in magnificent condition.

Golf as it should be.

RJ_Daley

Re: I have to agree
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:03:39 AM »
Geez, a couple more designs and Geoff can apply to the ASGCA.  I'm sure he'll be mortified of the sole mention. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:46:26 AM »
wasn't there a guy name Gil Hanse on that project?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:55:15 AM »
wasn't there a guy name Gil Hanse on that project?

...shaper..... ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back