News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Tony Ristola

Three hole sequences
« on: March 02, 2009, 11:07:52 AM »
We all know about Augusta's Amen Corner, The Loop at The Old Course, 16, 17, 18 at TPC Sawgrass, 16, 17 and 18 at Harbour Town.

How about some obscure courses that have magnificence is a short streak. Holes that are the interesting, diverse and/or especially fun. Courses that are regional; known best by the locals only.

The beauty of this is Google Earth gives you an inkling of what's going on.

Kyle Harris

Re: Three hole sequences
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 11:15:40 AM »
We all know about Augusta's Amen Corner, The Loop at The Old Course, 16, 17, 18 at TPC Sawgrass, 16, 17 and 18 at Harbour Town.

How about some obscure courses that have magnificence is a short streak. Holes that are the interesting, diverse and/or especially fun. Courses that are regional; known best by the locals only.

The beauty of this is Google Earth gives you an inkling of what's going on.

I'll make my list and then report through the day:

Philadelphia:
Walnut Lane - 4-6
Jeffersonville - 1-3
Reading - 14-16

Tampa, FL:
Babe Zaharias - 16-18

All are munis.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 11:16:06 AM »
9,10,11 at Painswick is cool--reachable par 5, Dell shot over a hill to a wild green, driveable par 4, each of which is fraught with danger.

15, 16, 17 at Burntisland (played it yesterday) is cool too--driveable par 4, tough par 4 to a hidden green, a fascinating short 3 into a dingly dell.

16, 17, 18 at my home course (Aberdour).  Very tough 4 (445, dog leg left), tricky medium 4, 200 yard skyline finish.

I'm sure there are multitudes of these 3-hole sequences.

The tough part of GCA must be stringing 6 of these sequences together!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:29:55 AM by Rich Goodale »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 11:17:10 AM »
Until I can think more about a truly obscure course, I would throw out there 16-18 at Lakota Canyon. What a terrific finish to a round with 3 very interesting holes.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 11:23:19 AM »
Santa Teresa 11-12-13 holds up it's head fairly proudly... fun, interesting, quirky in parts, and if you get through in even par you have played some fine golf.

I bet even few locals know this....

TH

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 12:12:36 PM »
A few from Cheshire, my home county:

Bramall Park 6,7,8 - long par 5 with OOB all the length of the hole on the right and green set in a natural amphitheatre, tricky par 3 across the slope of a hill to a domed and cleverly bunkered green, delightful par 4 with strong drive over diagonal cross bunkers towards stream over which the second shot must be played with accuracy to a green on a rise.

Delamere Forest 7th, 8th, 9th - two excellent long two-shotters followed by a really attractive short par 4 to a hilltop green.

Alderley Edge 1,2,3 - as tough an opening trio of holes as you'll find. They were all long par 4s but the second has recently been made into a short par 5. it will still be an exciting hole.

Wallasey 16th, 17th 18th - a tough, long par 3 to a hilltop green and a pair of very different long par 4s over contrasting terrain to finish.

Sandiway 8th, 9th, 10th - a charming short par 4 climbing steeply to a hilltop green, a super 400-yard par 4 driving blind to a fairway which ends in a steep drop, on the far side of which is a finely bunkered green, and a 470-yard par 4 that climbs and twists and is an absolute brute, especially for the good player who expects to get on in two.

Romiley 4th, 5th, 6th - a climbing short par 4 that is all about angles, a shortish par three across low ground to a cunningly angled green and a cracking good par 4, turing sharp right and climbing steeply for the second shot.

Ringway 7th, 8th and 9th - a wonderful long par 4, delightful short hole across low ground and a tricky short par 5 that is more about playing to the correct bit of fairway than of trying to overpower it.

Prestbury 1st, 2nd and 3rd - a rolling par 4/bogey 5 eventually playing uphill to a raised green sited on a hilltop, a fun par 4 slightly downhill to a plateau green above falling ground needing a perfectly weighted approach and a climbing par 4, the last part of which is played over a depression to a ledge green set into a steep hill.

Prenton, 4th, 5th, 6th - a shortish par 4 tempting the driver to clear a stream where the fairway (which crosses a Roman road) bends sharply to the left, a more substantial par 4 to a well-bunkered green set in a cradle which was formerly a pond, and a substantial par 5 with OOB and a copice on the left where the fairway bends late - dangerous for those going for the green in two.

Northenden 1st, 2nd, 3rd - two decent length par 4s sandwiching a short par 5 with the banks of the River Mersey forming the OOB right hand edge of each fairway. A tough start!

Mere 15th, 16th, 17th - part of a great finish, all par 4s, the 15th plunging down to a stream and up the far side to the green full of tricky borrows, a really tough par 4 curving left and downhill to a seriously raised green heavily bunkered, and a wonderful short par 4 played over an abyss to a climbing fairway and further up to a testing, narrow green falling away from front to back.

Jamie Barber

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 12:17:12 PM »
I'd throw in Hounslow Heath in West London. A fairly run down municipal but 14-15-16 are three great golf holes.

14 is a short par 4, but doglegs 90 degrees right. So you play it with two mid irons. 15 is a narrow, tree lined >400 yds par 4 with a brook short of the green, whilst 16 is a shorter 4 which doglegs left , again treelined and with the green tucked left just over the same brook.

JeffTodd

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 12:32:54 PM »
Along the lines of more obscure, local courses: Scotland Run, an upscale daily fee in NJ, finishes with three strong and interesting holes. #16 is a two shot hole that swings to the right and requires a forced carry over a deep, excavated, former sand quarry off the tee. Safe and aggressive lines of play are available on that tee shot. #17 is a brute of a par four that plays dead straight and is close to 500 yards, with water just off the right side of the green making the long approach shot dangerous. #18 is a sweeping, uphill, reachable par 5 that probably plays shorter than the par 4 17th, but requires a heroic shot over water and up a hill to a semi blind green in order to get home in two.

All three holes play very differently and possess elements of risk and reward which can be especially compelling since it is the closing stretch of holes.

http://www.scotlandrun.com/courseTour.htm

CJ Carder

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 01:02:17 PM »
I'm sure I'll come up with others, but from around here in Virginia, the closing stretch of 16-17-18 at Kingsmill's River Course comes immediately to mind.  This Pete Dye course hosts the LPGA each year in the Michelob Ultra Championship around Mother's Day.

Hole 16 is a long par 4, slight bend to the right, heading out towards the James River.
Hole 17 is a par 3 with a long green with the James River bordering the entire right side (thought not really in play).
Hole 18 is another tough par 4 where the player must tee off across a pond to a fairway that runs diagonally away from the tee.

Ian_L

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 01:12:56 PM »
Monarch Bay 12-14 in San Leandro, CA comes to mind.

#12: A long par-5 that still provides a good birdie chance, IF you put your second shot on the right side of the fairway.  From the left, you must hit over a very deep bunker to a shallow green.

#13: A long par 4 squeezed between two birdie chances.  Unreachable for many hitters, it provides many choices on the second shot.  An easy bogey if played safely.

#14: My favorite hole on the course, a very short par 4 (278yds I think?) with deep bunkers fronting the green.  You may choose to aim at the flag (likely leaving you an up-and-down opportunity for birdie from a greenside bunker), or go left with a shorter club to leave yourself a nice angle to the green.  I prefer to play to the right rough off the tee, leaving myself a relatively simple chip on my second shot.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 02:23:32 PM »
8-9-10 at Pebble Beach

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 02:27:40 PM »
8-9-10 at Pebble Beach

The idea was to mention OBSCURE courses.  This is obscure like I am skinny.

;D

Ian - good call re Monarch Bay!

Ken McGlynn

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 02:39:26 PM »
8-9-10 at Pebble Beach

The idea was to mention OBSCURE courses.  This is obscure like I am skinny.

;D

Ian - good call re Monarch Bay!

Tom...perhaps Mr. Lovett is being prescient. Given the economy, and 'oh those exorbitant green fees, is Pebble Beach well on the way to becoming obscure??? ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 02:49:19 PM »
Ken - that is a great thought!

So please do forgive me, Steve.

;D

David Stamm

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 03:02:06 PM »
14, 15 and 16 at Soule Park

2, 3 and 4 at Wilshire CC

13, 14 and 15 at Valley Club (although there are others)

10, 11 and 12 at Rancho Santa Fe

2, 3 and 4 at Victoria Club

15, 16 and 17 at San Clemente

12, 13 and 14 at Rustic Canyon

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Eric Smith

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 03:13:51 PM »
The idea was to mention OBSCURE courses. 

Bogey may (or may not) have mentioned 3-4-5 @ 'The Bug' as a worthy sequence.

(or was it 2-3-4? or 1-2-3?) Check the back pages, there's a thread somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 03:20:14 PM by Eric Smith »

Brian Laurent

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 03:54:28 PM »
two stretches that come to mind...

OSU Scarlet: 11-12-13...tough dogleg left par 4, good risk/reward par 5 followed by a nice downhill par 3

Saucon Valley; Weyhill: 14-15-16...great par 3 over the quarry with a wild green, par 4 playing downhill off the tee and back up the hill on your approach to a semi-blind target, another par 3 from an elevated tee played across the creek to a well guarded green
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

rjsimper

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 04:48:01 PM »
12, 13, 14 at Palos Verdes

David Stamm

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 04:53:07 PM »
12, 13, 14 at Palos Verdes

Good call, Ryan. TN, Ball and myself were just talking about 13 and 14 yesterday while playing.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 04:55:49 PM »
Until I can think more about a truly obscure course, I would throw out there 16-18 at Lakota Canyon. What a terrific finish to a round with 3 very interesting holes.

3,4, and 5 are also tasty, although the green on 3 is a bit overdone.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 04:58:11 PM »
Monarch Bay 12-14 in San Leandro, CA comes to mind.

#12: A long par-5 that still provides a good birdie chance, IF you put your second shot on the right side of the fairway.  From the left, you must hit over a very deep bunker to a shallow green.

#13: A long par 4 squeezed between two birdie chances.  Unreachable for many hitters, it provides many choices on the second shot.  An easy bogey if played safely.

#14: My favorite hole on the course, a very short par 4 (278yds I think?) with deep bunkers fronting the green.  You may choose to aim at the flag (likely leaving you an up-and-down opportunity for birdie from a greenside bunker), or go left with a shorter club to leave yourself a nice angle to the green.  I prefer to play to the right rough off the tee, leaving myself a relatively simple chip on my second shot.

With some minor modifications, I think 15 could become a spectacular hole. As they are, I still might swap 15 for 12, although 12 has the supeior green complex.

Good choice.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 05:06:21 PM »

3,4, and 5 are also tasty, although the green on 3 is a bit overdone.

Kyle,

True dat, although I really loved that green on #3.  One of the wildest, neatest greens I've ever played.  I think I would slightly alter your proposal as my next favorite stretch on LC and have it be 4-6....

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 05:17:05 PM »
Favorite triumvirates off the top onf my head from "small name" courses in the Nor Cal vicinity:

Callippe Preserve: 7,8,9
Darkhorse: 1,2,3
Monarch Dunes (Old): 13,14,15
Morgan Creek: 3,4,5
Roddy Ranch:4,5,6
Shadow Lakes: 1,2,3
Stevinson Ranch: 14,15,16
Wente: 10,11,12

Mike Benham

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
How about 6 - 8 at Stevinson Ranch?

- the short, reachable par-5 6th
- the redanish 7th
- the strategic short par 4 8th
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back