News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JMEvensky

Re: THE LIFE LIST
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 11:01:12 AM »
I'd like to play ANGC with Tom Huckaby from the back of the back tee boxes--with Pat Mucci double looping both of our bags.

I'd like a signed,first edition copy of My Incredible Life,Volumes I - V,by Tom Paul.

I'd like to spend a week listening to Bob Huntley's stories about golf and anything else.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 11:02:28 AM »
JME - I am honored and add that to my list too... in fact add all of those!

;D

mark chalfant

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 11:27:07 AM »
Play 36 holes at Holston Hills, CC of Buffalo, or Longmeadow
Talk golf with Ed Getka, Ron Forse, and Mike Malone
Go to the practice round of a major, late on a sunny afternoon

Experience a "Macdonald  School" design such as Camargo, Mid Ocean or Fishers Island
Putt  for hours on some bold greens designed by William Langford, W.Travis or Perry Maxwell
Play North Berwick, Prestwick, or Royal Dornoch with GCA.com  friends

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:22:37 PM by mark chalfant »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 11:34:42 AM »
I want one of my kids to beat me straight up some day.

After my son accomplished that, he was then known as "Dances with Putter in Hand"
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

TEPaul

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2009, 11:36:50 AM »
"Perhaps he could read the last 5 pages of the most recent thread devoted to this issue and he'd see my viewpoint, rather than make assumptions about it which have been incorrect all along."

TomH:

I'm afraid I didn't really follow that distance thread but maybe I'll take a look at it. The reason I mention it to you at all now is I may be able to offer up my own father when it comes to the evolution of how distance seemed to be treated and handled in play and in practice over the last sixty years or so (when one gets old like me it's sometimes sort of fascinating the things one remembers from the childhood years ;) ). I think it's pretty interesting and might tell you some things you may not have been aware of. I'll see if I can find that thread and what it says about what I might be able to mention vis-a-vis his career in golf which I have come to sort of refer to now as "transition."

Needless to say he was a pretty serious competitor with his friends and with tournaments and like most of his contemporaries from the late 1940s on they were all looking for any edge they could find within the Rules but way back then the way those guys played vis-a-vis distance seems to have been a whole lot different in a lot of ways than they eventually came to play with it in later years and certainly now. I think you'll find it very interesting.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 11:40:40 AM by TEPaul »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 11:46:08 AM »
Garland:

Great stuff!

TEP:  I am always interested in your stories, particularly those about your father.  Mr. Huntley has nothing on you in the "incredible life" department.  However... how this really plays out vis a vis the rules is really not my bag.  I suggested on that thread that a rules change disallowing all distance information would be a great thing - however, I am not at all thinking that IT COULD HAPPEN.  In fact, that's the basis of my disconnect with Melvyn... see, I'd love it, but I know it can't and won't happen... so given that courses are so blatantly marked these days such that it's impossible to ignore, we consider other alternatives.  I imagine that as time goes on distance info becomes less important as one plays.. but the markings remain there... and today they are so omnipresent, I am not sure how telling your father's example will be.  However, please do tell!

TH

TEPaul

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 01:16:21 PM »
TomH:

I guess I see your point there, but maybe not. Frankly, I'm not that interested in discussing the pros or cons of some Rules of Golf change that would ban the collection or use of distance information. The reason I say that is because there is no way at all----absolutely none, that that will ever happen. So what's the point even mentioning it much less discussing it?

However, the accumulation and use of distance information, certainly including actual yardage information from any point on a golf course, was always allowable in the Rules of Golf but the reasons why practically no one ever used it from about the late fifties and on back is an interesting story and subject as well as pretty much an historical fact.

So the question becomes why was that and what happened that changed all that including with my own father?

This kind of thing may not be much different than the answer Frank Thomas once gave me when I asked him why he didn't forsee this whole thing of I&B "optimization" for individual players coming and why it hadn't happened earlier than it did as there sure have been computers around for over a half century?

I think his answer was extremely accurate albeit seemingly simple, when he said: "Because they just hadn't gotten to that point yet."
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:28:56 PM by TEPaul »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
TomH:

I guess I see your point there, but maybe not. Frankly, I'm not that interested in discussing the pros or cons of some Rules of Golf change that would ban the collection or use of distance information. The reason I say that is because there is no way at all----absolutely none, that that will ever happen. So what's the point even mentioning it much less discussing it?

However, the accumulation and use of distance information, certainly including actual yardage information from any point on a golf course, was always allowable in the Rules of Golf but the reasons why practically no one ever used it from about the late fifties and on back is an interesting story and subject as well as pretty much an historical fact.

So the question becomes why was that and what happened that changed all that including with my own father?

This kind of thing may not be much different than the answer Frank Thomas once gave me when I asked him why he didn't forsee this whole thing of I&B "optimization" for individual players coming and why it hadn't happened earlier than it did as there sure have been computers around for over a half century?

I think his answer was extremely accurate albeit seemingly simple, when he said: "Because they just hadn't gotten to that point yet."

TEP:

My reasons for postulating this rules change - even pretty much knowing it can never happen - were to just try and see if there was ANY WAY to make a golf world of which Melvyn would approve.  See, my point to him all along was that I too would like his world, it's just not reality.  This just seemed to me as one tiny way that his dreams could come true.  We covered it, you helped in showing that it's a pipe-dream, thus if Melvyn was fair, he'd acknowledge this and try to deal with the real world.  I am not holding my breath.  The issue was never which way was BETTER - to me that's a given - the issue is WHAT DO WE DO NOW.

SO... to that end.. perhaps your lessons of history will help us learn how this could occur, because of course lessons from the past are always helpful.

Beyond that, screw it though, I just love the stories!  So bring it on....

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 02:17:22 PM »
These lists are fun, but getting too caught up in them is counter-productive.  I suppose it's not too far-fetched for the readers of T&L Golf to do most of those things.. but for Joe Q. Public you might as well say make an ace on Alpha Centauri V.  That being said, I'm pretty Joe Q. Public myself and I have done most of them.  So yes, dare to dream.

But here's more what I dream of as pertains to golf....

I want to include one of my kids in a round with my friends, and have the friends praise his or her behavior.

I want my daughter to ask to play the game with me.

I want to play the game on a big course with a grandchild.

Make these things happen and all else is gravy.  That being said, I too want to ride in a cart with Melvyn.

;D

Tom, you are right on here.  The first two have happened to me, son David actually went to a Buda Cup with me (Hoylake), has been invited back, and has beaten me like a drum for a few years now.

Unfortunately neither of my daughters play, and my two grandkids are 4 and 0.25 years respectively.  ;D  One of these days hopefully.....

A round of golf followed by a round of single malts with Melvyn would be great, either on foot or by cart.

Where the hell is he these days anyway?  ???   Come back Melvyn!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 02:23:46 PM »
Bill:

It should come as no surprise - and hopefully no offense! - that I was thinking of you (and Bob) as I wrote that.  I had little doubt each of you had at least two of those accomplished... and what a cool thing that must be.

More tooting of my own horn I guess, but my own Dad told me awhile back that these two things, as pertained to ME, were among his golf and life highlights.  That made me as proud as anything I've ever done in this silly game.

Oh well... my I have taken this meant to be light thread to silly deep levels! Don't mind me.

And as for our friend Melvyn, he's left many times before.  Heck I didn't even know he was gone this time.  I have little doubt he will return.  And the debate will continue!

;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 02:38:15 PM »
Needless to say, I feel just like your dad.  I just wish the girls had been even the slightest bit interested. 

I do have a wife who would rather play golf than just about anything, so I got that goin' for me!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 02:40:55 PM »
Needless to say, I feel just like your dad.  I just wish the girls had been even the slightest bit interested. 

I do have a wife who would rather play golf than just about anything, so I got that goin' for me!

Which is nice!

Re the daughters... it's funny... mine is quite into sports - plays competitive soccer - and oh how I tried to interest her in golf.  She was always invited, never pushed... as a tiny girl seemed interested... but it's as if a light-bulb went on at about age 10 that told her "this is a dorky thing Dad does."  Of course she's right... but well... I just pine for another day.  It may happen.  But the main whistfulness is she is now 13, acting like she's 18... so you know I likely need say no more.

;)

Mike Wagner

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 03:00:48 PM »
Don't pass on the opportunity to call the obvious penalty on someone.....protect the field no matter how uncomfortable you might feel.  I've seen too many people not call obvious penalties (where the guilty party even knew it).

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 03:03:58 PM »
Don't pass on the opportunity to call the obvious penalty on someone.....protect the field no matter how uncomfortable you might feel.  I've seen too many people not call obvious penalties (where the guilty party even knew it).

VERY interesting point here.
We have discussed this before on the site... for me it's a very tough one, and is instance-specific.  That is... if it's an important competition amongst strangers, of course you make the call, because protecting the field trumps all.

HOWEVER.... in events of lesser importance among friends, I'd rather keep a friendship than protect the field.  I have turned a blind eye, or phrased it as a question with an obvious out... and I believe I'd handle it that way again.

I've been called on the carpet for this before in this forum.  What say you, Mike?

TH

Anthony Gray

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2009, 03:15:56 PM »

If given the chance caddy for the Dalai Lama even though you know he is going to stiff you.

Anthony

Mike Wagner

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2009, 03:51:47 PM »
Tom,

My intention was definitely to protect the field.  The tournament call is a MUST!!  I think we all have times we regret not calling something that was obvious.  I'll go as far to say that if you don't at least bring it up, you're guilty of something as well..

I've had difficult scenarious in tournaments - some with nice guys who had no idea they broke a rule, and others who are notorious cheaters.  It's much more rewarding getting te notorious cheaters :)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2009, 03:59:47 PM »
But Mike, you didn't really answer my question.

Once again, in tournament play against strangers - even if friends are involved - oh yeah, protect the field.  NO brainer.

I'm thinking more about casual play... hell even home club events... does that change it for you?  Do you call every penalty you see no matter what?

I sure as hell don't.  In the latter situations, I explain and ask and give them a way out... that is if I say anything at all.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2009, 04:22:17 PM »
Tom,

Casual play is something different - hitting a wrong ball with no intent, taking a practice putt on the first hole away from everyone else - I don't care.  The people I play with would never intentionally try to get away with something, so it doesn't come up that often.  Wrong ball happens about once a year (blind tee shot and all pro-v's) - hell, hit it again.....I'd rather not win a hole with something like that against my buddies - I'd rather earn it.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2009, 04:29:12 PM »
Tom,

Casual play is something different - hitting a wrong ball with no intent, taking a practice putt on the first hole away from everyone else - I don't care.  The people I play with would never intentionally try to get away with something, so it doesn't come up that often.  Wrong ball happens about once a year (blind tee shot and all pro-v's) - hell, hit it again.....I'd rather not win a hole with something like that against my buddies - I'd rather earn it.

BINGO!
I got most definitely called on the carpet for exactly this attitude before in here... we do have some rules sticklers.

;)

Ian Andrew

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2009, 05:59:51 PM »
Some other ideas:

1 Introduce someone else to the game

2. Caddy at least once in your lifetime

3. Walk a great course without playing

4. Make a trip to the UK and avoid all the Open on purpose

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2009, 06:04:48 PM »
Some other ideas:

1 Introduce someone else to the game

2. Caddy at least once in your lifetime

3. Walk a great course without playing

4. Make a trip to the UK and avoid all the Open on purpose

Interesting.... I have done 1 and 2... wish I had the time and wherewithal to do the number of trips that would make 3 justifiable....

But I have ZERO desire to do 3.  To each his own.  You all enjoy the study; I'm there to play the game.   ;D

Scott Szabo

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2009, 07:21:44 PM »
These lists are fun, but getting too caught up in them is counter-productive.  I suppose it's not too far-fetched for the readers of T&L Golf to do most of those things.. but for Joe Q. Public you might as well say make an ace on Alpha Centauri V.  That being said, I'm pretty Joe Q. Public myself and I have done most of them.  So yes, dare to dream.

But here's more what I dream of as pertains to golf....

I want to include one of my kids in a round with my friends, and have the friends praise his or her behavior.

I want my daughter to ask to play the game with me.

I want to play the game on a big course with a grandchild.

Make these things happen and all else is gravy.  That being said, I too want to ride in a cart with Melvyn.

;D

Finally, someone with his priorities set straight.  I applaud you, Mr. Huckaby, for those statements.  Nothing could beat sharing this great game with your kids, or grandkids for that matter.  That's how I got started, and I have my grandfather to thank for that.  Without his taking the time to show me this game, I would have missed out on a lifetime of enjoyment, not to mention some very great friends along the way.

Scott

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

James Bennett

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2009, 02:09:38 AM »
Well, hell, as long as they're adding CPC and Pine Valley, let me suggest the one thing that every golfer should do before they die:

play the Reverse Jans.

I played Painswick - that sort of golfing experience should be in the list.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tim Bert

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2009, 05:51:41 PM »

That is one of the great joys in life, especially because the kid will have choked it away at least half a dozen times first before he finally can finish the deal...

I hope for the sake of my boys that if they take up golf (as I indeed hope they will) that they can check this box by the time they are 12.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2009, 05:53:27 PM »
Scott - thanks - but just hang in, I'll screw up other priorities I am sure.   ;D

Tim - that was my feeling as well as each child came along.  Age 12 is seeming quite unrealistic for the one who's now 10.  Heck I'll take it at age 50.

But yes, the 2 year old does give renewed hope.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back