News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

THE LIFE LIST
« on: February 24, 2009, 07:52:53 AM »
 Travel & Leisure Golf list of must do before you die (turn in your final sxcorecard).

1 Rock the Cradle - St Andrews
  2 Do Augusta Right - Masters in-person
  3 Work the Ball
  4 See the US
  5 Play Away -  travel to Australia..NZ..etc
  6 Adore Dornoch
  7 Read the Classics
  8 Lighten Up
  9 Dig into the Rules
 10 Go Irish Green
 11 Enter the Santums - Cypress Point..Pine Valley..etc
 12 Ace a Hole
 13 Win something that matters
 14 Know one course Intimately
 15 Collect to Connect - collectibles
 16 Shoot your Age
 17 Hail the King - thank Arnie
 18 Pass it On

What would you add to the list? The 19th hole.

How many have you done?

Anthony

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:03:32 AM by Anthony Gray »

Jeff Evagues

Re: THE LIFE LIST
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 07:56:21 AM »
I was laughing out loud when I read it. Like 99% of all golfers are going to be invited to PV and CPC.
Be the ball

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 07:57:09 AM »
What is #5...plaw away?  It doesn't make sense as play away or plan away, neither.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 08:01:12 AM »
What is #5...plaw away?  It doesn't make sense as play away or plan away, neither.

Ronald,

I updated the post..sorry..travel to NZ..South Africa..etc

Anthony

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 08:23:10 AM »
What happened to Nude Skydiving and going to Bull Fights on acid?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

astavrides

Re: THE LIFE LIST New
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 08:27:48 AM »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:21:23 AM by astavrides »

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »
If I actually had some personal "Life List" I'm afraid I would have to prominently add to the top or bottom of it that it never had anything to do with Travel and Leisure golf magazine!   ;)

Drew Standley

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 09:08:05 AM »
Thank Arnie?  Pine Valley & Cypress Point? 

I can just see guys right now banging away on the phone asking for the Pine Valley pro shop.   ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 09:11:11 AM »
Furthermore, I see that the writers and editors of Travel and Leisure golf magazine are a pretty mundane lot. If they weren't how on earth could they have forgotten "making love in the garden "folly" of Mount Vernon during business hours?" Which, by the by, even if it does not remotely involve golf is considerably more gratifying than the 14th green of the Everglades Club at 2:30am.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:20:26 AM by TEPaul »

Craig Sweet

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 09:19:36 AM »
I would add snowboarding super deep pow at Alta... ;D
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Kirk Gill

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 09:51:57 AM »
I'd add:

Play a round of golf with your son.

Get slapped down on GCA.com for saying something stupid.

Laugh out loud when someone makes an amazing shot to beat you.

Play the finest, oldest, and most prestigious club in your hometown.

"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 09:58:35 AM »
Craig Sweet:

POW??

What's that? Whatever it is super deep pow must be a lot better, right? Can you get high on that stuff or can you get high just being at Alta?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 10:07:50 AM »
TPaul..yes!!... you can get very high on super deep pow...but poaching it at Alta on a snowboard will get you in big trouble....much like poaching Augusta and getting caught.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 10:08:27 AM »

I would like to carry The Profesors golf bag and shoes to the first tee at TOC.

I would like to witness first hand match play betwween Garland and Kalen.

I would like to take Melvyn airborn in a cart at my home course.

I would like to die on the 14th green at Cruden Bay.

Anthony

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 10:17:29 AM »
"TPaul..yes!!... you can get very high on super deep pow..."

Craig Sweet:

That's great but listen, it's not that convenient for me to get to Alta right now, plus I really don't know where it is. But, BUT, I do have a freezer in the basement that hasn't been defrosted in a few years. Consequently it looks to me like it has produced some super deep POW. If I just stuck my head in it for a few minutes and breathed really deeply do you think I could get as high as I could with the pow at Alta?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 10:21:53 AM »
These lists are fun, but getting too caught up in them is counter-productive.  I suppose it's not too far-fetched for the readers of T&L Golf to do most of those things.. but for Joe Q. Public you might as well say make an ace on Alpha Centauri V.  That being said, I'm pretty Joe Q. Public myself and I have done most of them.  So yes, dare to dream.

But here's more what I dream of as pertains to golf....

I want one of my kids to beat me straight up some day.

I want to include one of my kids in a round with my friends, and have the friends praise his or her behavior.

I want my daughter to ask to play the game with me.

I want to play the game on a big course with a grandchild.

Make these things happen and all else is gravy.  That being said, I too want to ride in a cart with Melvyn.

;D

TEPaul

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 10:28:44 AM »
"That being said, I too want to ride in a cart with Melvyn."

Mr. Huckaby:

Melvyn has unfortunately departed but he is in touch with me. He says he will seriously consider, and in good faith, riding in a cart with you if you will agree to play golf for the rest of your life with absolutely zero distance information.

This is the Art of the Deal, my friend, and it seems like a pretty fair trade to me.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 10:32:51 AM »
"That being said, I too want to ride in a cart with Melvyn."

Mr. Huckaby:

Melvyn has unfortunately departed but he is in touch with me. He says he will seriously consider, and in good faith, riding in a cart with you if you will agree to play golf for the rest of your life with absolutely zero distance information.

This is the Art of the Deal, my friend, and it seems like a pretty fair trade to me.

Melvyn has departed and returned at least 8 times prior to this.  So I'd prefer to wait to "speak" with him directly.  However... this is good fun.  So, please do relay to him that once he succeeds in removing the distance markings from all courses, I'd be happy - nea, ecstatic - to comply with his wishes  Until that time, I don't see how it is possible.  Perhaps he could read the last 5 pages of the most recent thread devoted to this issue and he'd see my viewpoint, rather than make assumptions about it which have been incorrect all along.

From my side, he just needs to get over here and lighten up.

;D

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 10:34:34 AM »
The Reverse Jans?!?!?! You might as well say 'make an ace on Alpha Centauri'!!!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 10:35:25 AM »
The Reverse Jans?!?!?! You might as well say 'make an ace on Alpha Centauri'!!!

Charlie - I have to know - was that a paraphrase or do we just think crazily alike?  Read a few posts up, my first entry in this thread.....

;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 10:41:36 AM »
I want one of my kids to beat me straight up some day.

That is one of the great joys in life, especially because the kid will have choked it away at least half a dozen times first before he finally can finish the deal...

BINGO!
It happened exactly that way with me and my Dad... and my Dad sucked then and does now.  Not that I am all that good... but for one of my kids to beat me, not only will they have to overcome the choke factor, they will have to get at least pretty good at the game...That will be great by me as it will mean a more meaningful shared interest....

My Dad battled me tooth and nail, gave me nothing.  God those were fun days... it really is my greatest golf wish to recreate that some day with one of my kids.

It ain't looking good for the first two... but hope springs eternal for the two year old.

;D

Rich Goodale

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 10:49:07 AM »
Anthony

That list is so pathetically obvious that I feel obliged to start an alternative one.  Shame on T&L Golf!  They should know better......

Rich

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 10:50:17 AM »
Anthony

That list is so pathetically obvious that I feel obliged to start an alternative one.  Shame on T&L Golf!  They should know better......

Rich

Rich - that was my feeling as well for the most part... thus the additions I've made in here.  But a new thread is great by me!

Depending on how you do that, some of what I add might include YOU....

;D

Craig Sweet

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 10:51:07 AM »
Tpaul...

If your freezer has a bit of a nitrous leak, you could catch a bit of a buzz...uncontrollable laughter will be the indicator....but be careful, sticking your head in a freezer...you might end up like Ted Williams!  
LOCK HIM UP!!!

JMorgan

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 10:53:35 AM »
I noticed that T+L changed paper stock with the last issue.  Never a good sign. 

In defense of T+L, the editors have the good sense to hire writers like Tom Dunne, who IMO is one of the best golf writers around these days. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:36:41 PM by JMorgan »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back