News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jamie Barber

New member saying hello
« on: February 18, 2009, 09:06:26 AM »
Hello All

I've just registered on the site having been an avid reader/follower of the forum for some time. I'm posting to introduce myself.

I'm 35, a Chemical Engineer by trade and live just outside Sandwich in the UK, where I'm a member at Prince's Golf Club.

Jamie Barber

Greg Krueger

Re: New member saying hello
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 09:29:31 AM »
Jamie, welcome aboard!! Look forward to your contributions.

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:25:50 AM »
Welcome Jamie. I'd love to play Prince's! If only some friendly member would invite me... ;D

Jamie Barber

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 10:37:30 AM »
 :P I'm hoping the weather forecast improves! Earlier in the week it was showing 33 mph winds and rain. Now it's down to cloudy with 16 mph wind. At this rate it will be still and sunny by sunday :)

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 12:00:30 PM »
I'm hoping so. Aussie golfers and rain don't really mix that well!

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:04:13 PM »
Welcome!
H.P.S.

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 01:23:52 PM »
Jamie:

Welcome to GOLFCLUBATLAS.com's Discussion Group where every day is like a barroom brawl on a Friday Night in Dodge City after the Cowboys.......

Well, I'm pretty sure you've seen my stock welcome message before. Just stick with me and don't believe anything Mucci says and you'll be just fine on here!

JSlonis

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 01:45:37 PM »
Welcome...there is always room for another "Jamie". ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 01:54:16 PM »
Mr. Slonis, he's not exactly another Jamie like you. Can't you see the guy is a Brit? You're "Jamie" but he's a "J-EYE-mee"---sort of like BLYMIE (Bl-EYE-mee) except instead of a BL it has a J in front of it.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 02:06:53 PM »
Jamie:

Welcome to GOLFCLUBATLAS.com's Discussion Group where every day is like a barroom brawl on a Friday Night in Dodge City after the Cowboys.......

Well, I'm pretty sure you've seen my stock welcome message before. Just stick with me and don't believe anything Mucci says and you'll be just fine on here!

Jamie,

As you see, TEP has just put himself forward as the best insomnia cure on the web. No need to warn you about using appropriately, because he certainly isn't addictive.

;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jamie Barber

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 02:07:17 PM »
:) thanks for the welcome. Yep I'm a Brit .... I thought I was a "JAY-ME" - but perhaps not :D

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 02:15:23 PM »
Mr. Slonis, he's not exactly another Jamie like you. Can't you see the guy is a Brit? You're "Jamie" but he's a "J-EYE-mee"---sort of like BLYMIE (Bl-EYE-mee) except instead of a BL it has a J in front of it.

That's more bogan Aussie than Brit.

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 02:17:44 PM »
No you're not---you're definitely a J--EYE-mee. Slonis is a Jay-me. We pronounce our "a" the right way over here. You guys prounce...prahnnnah...ah shit, whatever...the sweet little "a" like some great big elongated "i" as in "EYE"

You birds over there have just got to slow down with all that tea one of these centuries. Too danged much caffeine or whatever---it sends your brains and probably your buccinator muscles too into overdrive. There's just no other way to explain how an entire nation can get a great big "EYE" out of a teeny little "a"
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 02:27:26 PM by TEPaul »

Jamie Barber

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 02:20:05 PM »
You know Dick van Dyke in Marry Poppins isn't an accurate reflection of Cockney, right?  ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 02:25:28 PM »
"That's more bogan Aussie than Brit."

Scott Warren:

What are you talking anyway? A BOGAN Aussie?? What's that supposed to mean? What the hell is an Aussie anyway except a Brit who has some really serious criminal record in his family's history?

It's not that different from what us original Americans are? What are we really but a bunch of English with religous heresy and some serious "Blacksheepishness" in our family trees?

Did I hear you say, "What about the Indians?"

Oh come on, don't start that crap on a golf architectural website!

TEPaul

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 02:34:30 PM »
J-EYE-mee, I don't know about the Cockney part but it didn't take me long to figure out Dick wasn't the Dyke, Mary Poppins was, but that's because I was always real suffisticaded for my age.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 03:45:48 PM »
Welcome from St Andrews.  Jamie, I played with a Sir Barry Bridgeland long ago, 1973, is he still around Prince's?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Dave_Miller

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 04:01:43 PM »
Hello All

I've just registered on the site having been an avid reader/follower of the forum for some time. I'm posting to introduce myself.

I'm 35, a Chemical Engineer by trade and live just outside Sandwich in the UK, where I'm a member at Prince's Golf Club.

Jamie Barber

Jamie:
Welcome!  Come often and Post frequently.
Best
Dave

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 05:44:57 PM »
Welcome Jamie another Prince's fan.  I feel sure there are enough of us in the south east to have a day out there soon.  IM me if you'd like to host a few of us one Saturday and we can see who's up for it.

Do you have photos of all 27 holes or even how about contributing a feature article to the My Home Course section (see left).  Prince's has always been open to casual visitors and the Aussie in the spike bar and the pro shop staff do a great welcome; it has a different feel to most GB&I clubs but I like it.

I think the history is most interesting (see threads past) and there's still lots of questions.  In the 1952 version it is believed that Campbell and Morrison worked on their own holes with no collaboration.  However I can find no evidence of who did which, apart from the fact that it was a 14/13 spilt, but who did most?  I've thought about it but can't see any great stylistic difference in the holes (admittedly there have been alterations since).

This hole now has the left hand side playing as rough,  thanks to Ronan Rafferty who decided it would be better returned to its pre-war shape - dogleg R-L.  I've walked the land and it seems to me something else must have changed but it looks like a most interesting hole was lost. I wonder which architect conceived it?

Welcome from St Andrews.  Jamie, I played with a Sir Barry Bridgeland long ago, 1973, is he still around Prince's?

Gary from 1970 to 1976 he was the owner, did he have anything interesting to tell you?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:57:17 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 06:07:37 PM »
Welcome aboard, your first homework assignment is to write a My Home Course piece.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jamie Barber

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 04:00:05 AM »
Gary - the Bridgland name I've heard (Sir Anysley) - but no longer associated with the club. The club is now in private hands.

Tony - yes a Prince's day is a fine idea. Another from GCA is playing as my guest this sunday. I have read the Prince's articles here and hadn't realized the holes were designed by separate architects before seeing them. I asked the secretary about this and he seems surprised too. I'll try and check with the chap that did the research into the club history (ex Captain of Blackheath and the guy who started the museum there).

Regarding the hole you list (currrent 4th on Dunes), yes I know Rafferty did the re-design. Actually I think it's a fine hole now, and certainly plays tougher with the dog-leg. However, it does take the left side bunkers out of play which is a shame. Playing down the left is usually an option only in winter; in summer the rough is so penal that anything left is lost.

I don't think there has been any major work since. There are one or two new bunkers and some new championship tees (some in very odd positions). Existing bunkers are also being deepened and enlarged.

I think it's a fine course. I think improvements could be made on conditioning and some of the bunkering, but I think it's a good honest links that doesn't rely on tricks and makes the best of the site. I agree it doesn't have some of the theatre of our near neighbours being flatter, but it's still a good test. The CSS was 2 shots higher than at Deal both days of the recent 2008 Senior Amateur (both set up as par 71), and at the 2006 Amateur it proved a similar scoring test to RSG.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 04:09:47 AM by Jamie Barber »

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 09:21:20 AM »
Jamie

Welcome aboard.  Always good to add another member to the UK ranks.

Have you spotted the BUDA thread yet, which would give you the opportunity to meet some of us in person rather than in cyberspace ;D
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Jamie Barber

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 10:20:19 AM »
Yes, I'd be interested to be involved, just not sure my budget will stretch (to date I've only been able to afford to play RSG as a guest of a permit holder, where the fee is £15 instead of >£100)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back