News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

How much would you spend to play one hole?
« on: February 15, 2009, 12:27:27 PM »
Any one hole, anywhere...

JESII

Re: How much would you spend to play one hole?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
What's the green fee at TPC Sawgrass?

How many rounds per year there?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 01:14:58 PM »
What's the green fee at TPC Sawgrass?

How many rounds per year there?

Heh.

I think Jim is keenly aware of where I am going with this one.

$35.00 to play the 9th hole at Raven's Claw... hmmm

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 01:21:50 PM »
I don't get it?   Spend say $100 to go to Cypress Point and hit 1 shot on the 16th hole.

I wouldn't pay anything to do that???

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 01:22:56 PM »
I don't get it?   Spend say $100 to go to Cypress Point and hit 1 shot on the 16th hole.

Joel, perhaps not at Cypress...

But at a Doak 4 course where there is only one or two holes worth seeing, isn't that what one is essentially doing?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 01:27:09 PM »
I don't think so.  Unless someone is that finicky, one should be there to play the whole course, to determine why the one or two select holes are awarded so much more merit than the others.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 05:28:37 PM »
Some guys will spend half their life's earning to "play one hole"

So me, if you're going to do it in golf, the 16th at Cypress is the hole.

Now, what comes 2nd and 3rd????

2nd: eight a Pebble

3rd: 12 at Augusta

4th:  9 at Yale
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 05:36:50 PM »
I'm not sure I would pay just to play one hole. To me a golf course is like a roller coaster with lulls and flips. You can't fully enjoy the first couple flips and screws before the slow opening incline and the anticipation that comes with it.

That being said part of what makes a hole like the 16th at Cypress or 12th at Augusta or 7th at Pebble or 17th at Sawgrass so neat are the holes leading up to it. Being able to fully digest the shots needed to far in the round and then a special hole appears at just the right moment of the round (which is a big reason it would be considered special).

As for the one or two good holes on a Doak 4 I wouldn't pay just to play one or two holes, even if the other suck, just because its no fun just playing one hole and leaving.
H.P.S.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 06:03:47 PM »

But at a Doak 4 course where there is only one or two holes worth seeing, isn't that what one is essentially doing?

Sounds to me like someone that I wouldn't enjoy golfing with. Golf is way more than an analytical endeavor to dissect the qualities of every hole individually while actually trying to be engaged in the sport. Go get a $10 Nassau going with a good friend and enjoy the damn game already.... ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 06:07:35 PM »

Sounds to me like someone that I wouldn't enjoy golfing with. Golf is way more than an analytical endeavor to dissect the qualities of every hole individually while actually trying to be engaged in the sport. Go get a $10 Nassau going with a good friend and enjoy the damn game already.... ;D

Joe

Nor is it simply slapping a ball around a field. If so, save me the expense and just mow some short grass in a field.

I accept the Big World Theory, but I'm curious about the Opportunity Cost corollary.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 06:14:18 PM »
Kyle,

What's the best hole you've ever played?

How much did you pay to play there?

Is there a hole somewhere that you believe to be better than anything you've played, to date?

That should get you close to your Opportunity Cost Corollary....I think.

This is quite interesting to think about...."The 17th at Sawgrass is the best course I've ever played...".

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Kyle Harris

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 06:24:56 PM »
Kyle,

What's the best hole you've ever played?

How much did you pay to play there?

Is there a hole somewhere that you believe to be better than anything you've played, to date?

That should get you close to your Opportunity Cost Corollary....I think.

This is quite interesting to think about...."The 17th at Sawgrass is the best course I've ever played...".

Joe

Joe,

It's not so much the 17th at Sawgrass being the best course you've ever played. It's also the prior 16 holes before that. How many island greens exist in the world? How many have the holes before them or after them like at Sawgrass?

The case which brought my line of thinking to fruition is the 9th hole at Raven's Claw that Joe Bausch started a thread on last week. The 8 holes leading to it are nothing really noteworthy, and the holes after it aren't noteworthy either, except for the 18th.

Does the quality of the 9th at Raven's Claw makes up for the lacking nature of the other holes? Is it worth $35.00?

Jed Peters

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 06:26:13 PM »
I'd pay 500 bucks to play the 12th at Augusta.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 08:48:01 PM »
In these recessionary times, I think that, no matter how much one chooses to pay for a single hole of golf, that this hole is the obvious choice:

http://thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlonglast.com/long58.html

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »
i would love to give Shinnecock #7 a go...

and Cherry Hills #1

and Riviera #10

and Loch Lomond #14

Mike Bowline

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 10:15:58 PM »
$500 to play #1 at Augusta, then, since I'm out there already, I'll just keep goin'.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 11:24:12 PM »
At least when you play that Africa hole you get a free helicopter ride...
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 02:15:20 AM »

I'll build a perfect replica if you agree  to play it 18 times per day at that rate.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Shane Wright

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 10:21:53 AM »
I don't know that I would pay a whole lot to play one hole on any course, but I would be willing to pay to walk 2 or 3 different courses without playing them....Cypress being one of them.

JESII

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 11:02:05 AM »
Kyle,

I don't think many of us understand what you're driving at...my first response was sincere in that I bet the vast majority of people paying for their first round at Sawgrass have one hole in mind while they are doing so and will remember one hole 12 months later...not that Sawgrass is anything short of a really good or great golf course...

Add in the fact that Sawgrass is accessible, and expensive and it should be the winner...if only it addressed your question, which it does not seem to do...

Sean Leary

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 11:07:10 AM »
Coeur d 'Alene would be the Sawgrass of the west coast, for the novelty of playing the floating green.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 04:49:08 AM »
I heard a story about 'Calamity Corner' - the 14th at Royal Portrush.

Basically, an 'American visitor' came into the pro shop, paid his green fee, and then immediately went past the first tee and disappeared into the dunes. On returning to the clubhouse 45 minutes later, the pro asked him what he'd been doing. The American said that he had seen a magazine article with 'the best 18 holes in the world' and he wanted to play them all - he had therefore walked straight to the 14th at RP, played it twice, made a 3 and a 4 and walked off.

Leaving aside the fact that this story may not be entirely true, and that surely he should have paid two green fees, this illustrates what's wrong with these type of rankings. Take the 9th at RCD for example - I have a book of 'The world's greatest holes' which includes this in the best 18. Playing it in isolation would miss the point entirely - its greatness lies in the fact that it is a wonderful climax to an incomparable stretch of golf.

Shane Wright

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 09:28:03 AM »
Ed - I couldn't agree with your statement more.  #9 at RCD is one of the best in the world but only because of playing the holes leading up to it with the anticipation you are getting ready to play one of the world's greatest.  Coming off of the 8th green at RCD knowing what you are getting ready to take on is one of golf's priceless experiences. 

Paying whatever many pounds in the clubhouse to walk out with your Driver/hybrid/wedge/putter to the 9th teebox and then playing it once would a travesty.

Scott Warren

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 10:14:59 AM »

I'll build a perfect replica if you agree  to play it 18 times per day at that rate.

There is a replica at Northwick Park here in London.

Drew Standley

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 07:27:24 PM »
I wouldn't spend a dime to play one hole.  Give me the whole course or nothing at all. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back