News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Rossi

Maintenance Standards
« on: February 05, 2009, 09:23:16 AM »
As a Super I try to meet players expectation of course conditioning from what my expectations are, perhaps I expect too much. My expectations vary with the design and the player type the course is trying to attract.

What level or standard of maintenance do you as a player expect to find on your favorite course?

No need to name courses just the style and perhaps level of player you expect play there most.

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Maintenance Standards
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:43:28 AM »
Mike,

You won't be surprised to hear me say that most golfers expect way too much!

Funny, unless maintenance is really poor, I rarely noticed anything to complain about, no matter where I'm playing. I think overall, golf course superintendents throughout the world do a remarkable job. And rarely get enough credit for their efforts!

In general though, I expect the ball to bounce. This is golf... calculating what the ball is going to do when it meets the ground. Unfortunately, I think too many golfers expect the opposite though... the ball to "stick" when it meets the ground.

Firm conditions, at any course, actually assist weaker players with extra yards off the tee and a helpful bounce onto the greens, and at the same time, demand better golfers play angles and control trajectory and spin to get the ball close to the hole.

I guess what I'm getting at is:

I only expect the ball to bounce, and putting surfaces to roll smoothly. Green speed is certainly not an expectation of mine. A smooth roll is all we need.
jeffmingay.com

Bryan Bergner

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 10:32:21 AM »
I'm not as critical about green speed as I am to a smooth putting surface.  My favorite course has fescue greens that are  not very fast but they've been smooth and consistent every time I've gone back there.  That's most important to me.

Bryan Bergner
Westmoor CC

JMEvensky

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 11:15:09 AM »
Give me firm conditions and smooth greens and I'm happy.Anything else is just a bonus.

My guess is that I'm in the majority on this DG and overwhelmingly in the minority for golfers in general.

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 07:16:07 PM »

'What level or standard of maintenance do you as a player expect to find on your favourite course?'

Thanks Michael - this is a good subject that you have raised - unfortunately time didn't allow me to follow up last week. A couple of points.

With regards realistic expectations I fall in with the other posts - there is no joy in playing an unnecessarily heavy golf course and a smooth putting surface is always appreciated. Could I add also that personally I don't care for sub-standard teeing conditions - be it an unlevel surface :( wet conditions or poor alignment - not an ideal way to commence play of a hole. (I place unmanageable wear in a different category). And as you would know practice is very demanding on turf - at a glance these facilities can reveal the management ethic of a course - they should ideally be afforded appropriate maintenance.

In addition - and this may not be such an issue where you are - but my feeling is that there is little thought provided to variation of tee set up for women - where I am we seem to play pretty much the same course, from the same angle, 365 days a year (sigh!).

Also, for many of the shorter hitting players, seniors and juniors - it is important to consider the ground game. I have seen courses where the fairway has been divided with rough just where these folk need a break ??? - in some instances the forgotten golfers perhaps? It would be helpful if committees and supers remembered that not all play, for all golfers, is through the air.

Finally, I have been involved with greens committees for many years. One thing that is very apparent is the general lack of understanding by committee members of many of the key elements involved with the every day and seasonal challenges of course management - - the characteristics of different grasses, the need for particular regimes, what various practices achieve, understanding of equipment etc, etc. With every new committee this situation returns. I'm sure you know where I am coming from. I feel it would be handy for Supers to have a reference manual at hand with plenty of clear, descriptive photos of equipment, procedures, challenges, progress etc to assist the committee in understanding your job. A little investment of time but it would aid in removing some of the mystery for the committee and may make your job a whole lot easier.

In closing I agree with Jeff that the majority of Supers do a great job. As an aside I had a meeting with a super here last week, it was 40 degrees - 104F and he had no air-con, we have had weeks of this heat - a good bloke, he wasn't complaining just getting on with what had to be done.

I'll wrap up here.

Cheers -- Lyne

Buck Wolter

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 09:01:28 PM »
While I don't expect a manicured bunker my pet peeve is bunkers that have been sand pro'd to the point there is no longer sand on the floor of the bunker but there is a foot in the face. Worst of both worlds where you get plugged lies in the face and hard pan lies in the floor.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

John Moore II

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 09:24:37 PM »
Being in the business, knowing how much the green staff works (I am VERY quick to admit that the Supers and staff members work at least 10 times harder than I do) and that sort of thing, my expectations on a daily basis are fairly low. Just smooth greens, speed is a bonus, and good, shortish, smooth fairways. I don't really worry about the rough, long, short, grown in, bare spots, etc., I don't worry, I don't plan on being in the rough, and if I go there, I deserve what I get. I can echo the comments about bunkers with sand in the face and edges but none in the bottom. I also don't really like bunkers with sand that is too 'thick' meaning deep and fluffy, where the ball tends to plug even in the bottom with low trajectory shots.  Other than that, I really don't care about the bunkers, maybe not even raked, doesn't really matter to me.

Now, when I go to places like Pinehurst or Pine Needles or courses of those caliber, the expectations are a little higher, but I don't expect 'Augusta National' conditions at all times.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 03:04:03 PM »
There are some bare minimums that just about everyone expects to find, like puttable greens and a little grass in the fairways, even if the golf was 'free'.

Expectations rise at a rate that coincides with cash outlays. This is true no matter the subject.     
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Michael Rossi

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 06:07:49 PM »
John

Thank you on behalf of all that take care out side.

Lyne

I would not like the course to plau the exact same daily. My turf condition expectations are similar but because I do this for a living they might be higher.  When I play which is not as often as I would like.....

I expect level tees, not divot riddled, blocks moved as play dictates, more than 75 rounds on the sheet the day prior and tee blocks should be moved. Broken tees not present. Tee marker visible not filth or grown over.

Bunkers should have a constant depth, with at least one rake present not that most players use them. But as for quality of sand it does not matter, pebbles or small stones are OK but no rocks or grass clippings or other debris unless it fell that day. Not baby bottom smooth, no fancy rake patterns, rough raked is my preferance. Bunkers are hazards after all and optional you don't have to hit it there, if my playing opponent hits it there I want the advantage not them.

Drainage issues well I find them extremely annoying but I understand that budgets can limit work however if a course is charging a premium none should be present.

Fairways should be tight depending on the season and recent weather, approaches or surrounds even tighter and firm enough to allow a ball to bounce never plug.

Rough well as it is named rough, height of cut I expect to find my ball with easy but do not expect to be able to hit a long iron out of it. If my ball found it I deserve the penalty. If it is bare my bad I still should not have hit it there.

Piles of grass or bunches of clippings I frown on. Unrepaired divots again a  >:( A sense of untidiness >:(

As for greens speed is not important, but trueness I expect. High or low plugs from previous hole locations  ::) This is after all the place that every player must go and is the smallest area to maintain on most courses. It is the place on the course that the Architect places much thought as does the player. My expectations might be high. Firm not soft or puffy, the ball should not hang on a slope the ball should roll not hop with a proper stroke. Hole edges should be crisp. Ball marks repaired.

Shapes of bunkers, grass lines and contours should resemble the original. Mowing patterns should not make you dizzy when you look at the hole.

Some of these items can be solved by the player leaving the course better than it was found.

I expect the above most times but not on every course.

Peter Nomm

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 09:46:26 PM »
PERSONALLY......without question true (and relatively fast) greens trump all other conditions.  Players can deal with odd bounces and lies throughout the course EXCEPT for on the greens.  Most people agree that typically "it all comes down to who makes the most putts" and this is why I believe it to be the top standard. 

I know my friend Bryan B loves those long yet smooth fescue greens out at Bandon, but there is a perception about speed that comes from appearance too.  When greens appear visually perfect, most players will perceive them as so, and as a result will enjoy the opportunity to score well by making putts.

HOWEVER, most golfers don't see things the same as do regular posters to GCA.  So, yes, Supers are forced with trying to achieve all things for all people.  The average player takes it personally when a "less than their ideal" condition "causes" a poor shot and there are so many possible ways that this can happen (bunker inconsistency, firm bounces, tough lies).  It is a tough job Supers have, but I still believe that if the greens are perfect, the average player will not notice other irregularities. 

Damon Groves

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 10:01:21 PM »
I play the majority of my rounds at a local muni at Santa Anita in Arcadia CA and the rough is kept relatively low, the greens between 9 and 10 on the stimp, fairways can get some brown in the summer and the bunkers get a little thin on sand. It costs $23 a round during the week and is the best deal I know of. A great old school course and given the cost per round and that it is owned by LA County no real expectations of anything more than what we get and I like that.

The funny thing is the little bit of brown and dryness in the summer on the fairways actually improves the playing conditions allowing for some run to your shots and some bump and run action.

I am in agreement that the general golfing public expects way too much and does not realize that the less than perfect conditions can actually make for some fun golf.

Greg McMullin

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 07:37:02 AM »
Level Tee Box - check
Some Roll out in landing area - check
Consistent Bunker sand - check
Consistent Greens - check

OK - lets play  8)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back