News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

Re: Do these bunkers evoke the style of any particular ODG
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2009, 03:51:15 PM »
Paul:

Interesting to hear you think this style works particularly well on flat sites.  As you know, Irish Creek is anything but flat.  I have no idea whether the bunkers at Irish Creek have a similar geometric shape from an aerial view.  But from the ground, they are visually striking, strategically located and fun to play.  So if the style is similar, then based on Irish Creek I'd say it works equally well on hilly sites.

For what its worth, Irish Creek definitely has a mature golden age feel about the place.  I suspect that if a group of GCAers played with no knowledge of architectural credit, most would think it to be a restoration of an ODG design, although they'd likely differ as to which one.  No doubt some of that is attributable to the fact the new course is located on the same property as a previously existing course and utilized the existing corridors on many holes, albeit often in reverse or in very different ways.  But the old school feel would not have resulted if the bunker style and green complexes didn't match the maturity of the site.  Congrats to Paul and the rest of the DL3 team for making it work.

Ed

Thanks Ed and A Sillis.

Its interesting that you both enjoyed the 'style', but on differing sites.

Forest Oaks, Kinderlou Forest, and Irish Creek are similar in that their sites have a fair amount of movement......while River Hall and Sanctuary Cove would be considered flat by most.

Hey Tom Paul....how about something similar in Newark, combined with a a few strategic 'ditch/walls' and a random debris field or two.

I think you know me well enough to realize this is a serious inquiry for your consideration.

paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back