News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Rigg

Dream GCA Match: Oregon versus Nor Cal
« on: January 09, 2009, 11:22:03 PM »
aka - Bandon versus Monterey - Team Oregon versus Team Cali

Summer 2010

- Bandon Dunes, Trails, Pac Dunes and OM

versus

- Cypress Point, Pasa, MPCC Dunes and Shore

or some'm

;D

We can do a 2011 rematch with the Bend courses versus So Cal.

Of course we need Tom & Team to finish Wicked Pony to give us another strong Bend venue . . .

Jed Peters

Re: Dream GCA Match: Oregon versus Nor Cal
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:25:53 AM »
Right now with OM not being open I'll take Monterey.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:17:34 PM »
Rob,

There's a course down near Cypress Point called Pebble Beach. Ever hear of it?
 :D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:15:11 AM »
As wonderful as the golf life is at Bandon, California trumps the state without even trying. You can take the best 2 or 3 in Bend and Eugene CC and even the wonderfully quirky Astoria CC and one does not even need to venture to LA or Santa Barbara to keep Cal safely in front. CPC, PB, Spyglass, MPCC, SFGC, OC Lake Cal Club, Meadow Club, Pasa, Stanford, Fort Ord and the trump list keeps on going. I will go back to Oregon with bells and whistles this summer but never for a minute will I think the Golf is better there.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 01:15:37 PM »
As wonderful as the golf life is at Bandon, California trumps the state without even trying. You can take the best 2 or 3 in Bend and Eugene CC and even the wonderfully quirky Astoria CC and one does not even need to venture to LA or Santa Barbara to keep Cal safely in front. CPC, PB, Spyglass, MPCC, SFGC, OC Lake Cal Club, Meadow Club, Pasa, Stanford, Fort Ord and the trump list keeps on going. I will go back to Oregon with bells and whistles this summer but never for a minute will I think the Golf is better there.

Meadow Club 5
SFGC 9
Cal Club 6
Olympic Club Lake 8
Stanford 6
Pasa 7
Fort Ord 4
MPCC 6
Spyglass 7
Cypress 10
Stanford 6

Will the addition of Old MacDonald at Bandon allow those 4 courses to top the top 4 from Tiger's list? Note that Pac Dunes is often mentioned as being a 10.
So will the other 3 top a 9, 8, 7 rating?

EDIT: Woops, I missed the PB in Tiger's list. That raises the bar to 9, 9, 8. Tiger's got a point.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:24:37 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rob Rigg

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 09:28:34 PM »
Garland - Too po' for this kid to play Pebble so I left it out  :'(

I was actually thinking - it would be a blast to match some Oregon locals against Cali locals and play some of the best courses in our respective states in a tournament over alternate summers.

good times!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 09:34:10 PM »
Rob,

But yet you put Cypress Point on your list. You got a way on Cypress Point? I want to know you bro!
 ;D

Rob Rigg

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 12:44:55 AM »
Yeah - I totally have some top secret Cypress connections . . . some pretty groovy peeps I might add. Hopefully they would still pick up the phone.  ???

Not so much at Pebble.  ::)

Sidenote - I think it would be ridiculous to expect Oregon golf to ever contend with the breadth of great courses in Cali.

The disadvantages in terms of weather, population, wealth, etc. will make it impossible unless Mr Keiser single-handedly makes it not the case by building Linksland West up and down the Coast.

It would still be an interesting study though since Oregon does have an interesting mix of Coastal, Parkland and High Desert courses that would make the trip up from Cali worthwhile.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back