News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

A Round of England/Wales Best Value in Relation to Quality
« on: January 11, 2009, 05:49:56 AM »
In this day of ever increasing green fees I have tended to play more and more of the lesser lights.  Below is a round which I think are good value, varied, high quality courses offering a memorable experience.  In short, a group of courses which could make up the core of many trips. 

Aberdovey
Addington
Beau Desert
Burnham & Berrow
Formby
Kington
Notts
Pennard
Princes
Royal St Davids
Royal St Georges
Saunton East
Southerndown
St Enodoc
St Georges Hill
Tenby
Woodhall Spa
Woking

Please note, there are several courses I haven't seen or haven't seen in a long time which I suspect could make this list: 

West Sussex, Silloth, Brancaster, Berkshire Red, Rye, Ganton, Porthcawl & Alwoodley

I would like to see lists (however long) from other folks of whatever area(s) which y'all feel are really worth traveling a long way to see, but are good value in one way or another (we all have our own ideas of good value).     

Ciao

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 06:55:02 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Pearce

Re: A Round of England/Wales Best Value in Relation to Quality
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 06:33:38 AM »
Sean,

A good list.  Silloth and Alwoodley should cerainly make any such list as should Ganton and Seaton Carew.  I'm astonished Huntercombe doesn't make your list knowing how much you like it - what's the guest fee?  I'd say both courses at the Berkshire qualify and I'd probably include Goswick in my list. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 06:56:41 AM »
Sean,

A good list.  Silloth and Alwoodley should cerainly make any such list as should Ganton and Seaton Carew.  I'm astonished Huntercombe doesn't make your list knowing how much you like it - what's the guest fee?  I'd say both courses at the Berkshire qualify and I'd probably include Goswick in my list. 

Mark

Yes, Goswick and Seaton Carew are two more I think would merit serious consideration. 

Yep, if the trees were cut back I would probably pick Huntercombe.

Don't fake it, make a list!

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 07:14:40 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 07:07:06 AM »
Sean,

The Southwest France and Basque Country in Spain and France I believe is a place with one of the best values in relation to what you get. Besides, the food is outstanding.

In France:
Hossegor
Chiberta
Biarritz
Seignosse
Moliets
Chantaco

In Spain:
Neguri
Zarauz
Pedreña - not in the basque country, but close enough.

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 07:27:03 AM »
Sean,

The Southwest France and Basque Country in Spain and France I believe is a place with one of the best values in relation to what you get. Besides, the food is outstanding.

In France:
Hossegor
Chiberta
Biarritz
Seignosse
Moliets
Chantaco

In Spain:
Neguri
Zarauz
Pedreña - not in the basque country, but close enough.

Alfonso

Do you have any pix/info of Zarauz?  This course looks to be very intriguing.

Ciao

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 07:40:11 AM »
Sean,

Zarauz is a 9 hole links course close to San Sebastian. It is the only real links that I know of in Spain (El Saler cannot qualify as such). The course has remained largely untouched since 1916, so its short (par 68, about 5.600yds). I haven't played for a long time but everybody says its good fun. I don't know how laid it out, but taking into account that Fowler laid out the old San Sebastian course in 1917, it could be him.

Photos are from their website.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 08:29:56 AM »
Sean, Off the top of my head, I'd add to your list:

Southerness
Seascale
Brancepeth Castle
Stoneham
Broadstone
Parkstone
Delamere Forest
Liphook
Lindrick (if the winter green fee still exists)
West Surrey
West Sussex
Sheringham
West Cornwall
Yelverton
Luffenham Heath

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 08:47:34 AM »
Sean, Off the top of my head, I'd add to your list:

Southerness
Seascale
Brancepeth Castle
Stoneham
Broadstone
Parkstone
Delamere Forest
Liphook
Lindrick (if the winter green fee still exists)
West Surrey
West Sussex
Sheringham
West Cornwall
Yelverton
Luffenham Heath

Alfonso - Cheers!

Mark

Hmmm, Southerness seems to have bolted its moorings. 

Yes, I suspect Broadstone and Parkstone could be contendahs.  I also really liked the look of Yelverton.  Could you make out a list of 18? 

Ciao

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 10:57:03 AM »
Sean, Mark & Mark -

Can you give us an estimate of the range in which the visitor green fees for most of your recommended courses fall: 20-40 pounds? 30-50 pounds? 40-60 pounds?

DT 

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 01:36:08 PM »
Sean, Mark & Mark -

Can you give us an estimate of the range in which the visitor green fees for most of your recommended courses fall: 20-40 pounds? 30-50 pounds? 40-60 pounds?

DT 

David

I don't have a limit on what is good value.  You see that I have Sandwich on the list.  Its sort of like TOC, who could say that it isn't good value for the quality/experience?  I would guess my average comes out to ~£60 a game, but I am also trying to really balance the cost against what one gets in terms of "to travel for courses". 

I would really like to see some other lists because I use this stuff for organizing trips and it helps me gain a better understanding of where people are coming from in terms in of weekly gca.com talk.

Ciao

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
Sean, Mark & Mark -

DT 
I played Kington a couple of years ago for £10 (it was the evening and the pro was in a good mood).  Silloth is just under £40, Goswick and Brancepeth slightly less (Goswick may be <£30).  Alwoodley may be £70 for the day, Ganton something similar.  I play the Berkshire a couple of times a year and it's around £100 (proably a little more) for a round on each course (I think the Blue is every bit as good as the Red) and a superb lunch.

My list:

Alwoodley
Beau Desert
The Berkshire (both courses)
Brancaster
Brancepeth Castle
Burnham & Berrow
Ganton
Goswick
Huntercombe
Kington
Notts
Saunton
Seaton Carew
Swinley Forest
Woking
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ash Towe

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 10:34:27 PM »
There on other lists but I would support the following-
Alwoodley
Ganton
Formby

Had a good day at Fulford in York, the architecture was not great but they put the road through it which had a huge effect.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 06:30:26 AM »
I enjoy Fulford, and it's always in excellent condition. Have you played York ar Strensall? it's a nice course, too.

There's some good stuff in East Anglia - Thetford, Ipswich, Rushmere, Felixstowe Ferry, Woodbridge, Aldeburgh and, of course, Royal Worlington. I have always enjoyed Gog Magog, too - with some nicely old-fashioned holes. In general they are good winter courses.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 07:37:46 AM »
Sean,

I would add the following to your list:

Broadstone
Parkstone
Perranporth
Pyle & Kenfig
Silloth

Ed

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back