News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: dream GCA match: Chicago v Philly!
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2009, 02:57:01 PM »
How about Tastykakes, Good & Plenty candy or even scrapple for Philadelphia?

I know Chicago can also claim Tootsie Rolls.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kyle Harris

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2009, 02:58:37 PM »
We'll end this once and for all...

Philadelphia has Wawa, the likes of which exist nowhere outside the Wawa/Sheetz area of the Northeast.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2009, 03:10:19 PM »
I thought that Schaefer's was the one beer to have when you're havin' more than one?  God I can still hear that song from my days in the 60s visiting my grandparents on Woodbine Avenue and listening to By Saam (sp?) broadcasting the games.  Shouldn't Schaefer's be on the list of Philly beers?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2009, 03:27:56 PM »
Mark,
There was a time when Schaefer beer was actually tasty, and it went well with a bag of potato chips, invented in 1853 by George Crum, a chef at the Moon Lake Lodge in Saratoga Springs, NY.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2009, 03:38:05 PM »
And just to close the circle in a Rolaids kind of way, there's a Wawa just a few blocks away from Louie's Lunch.

Steve S, did you see the Jonathan Demme movie "Something Wild"?  Demme is fond of tchotchkes in his movies, and towards the end there's a scene on a Pa roadside. In the background is one of those portable marquee signs, the kind with an arrow on the top.  It reads, "Whoa! You just passed the best scrapple in PA !!!"

This sounded funny but being from the South I had to ask my Connecticut roommate what scrapple was.  "It's what's left over when they're done making sausage."  And that deserves a:  :P

Mark

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2009, 06:18:57 PM »
Mark,

Your roommate was right. I'm proud to say that I've never had scrapple. I don't understand it. It's usually served pan  fried with eggs. It should be exported to England.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Carl Nichols

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2009, 08:19:57 PM »
I thought someone from Chicago might get this reference (I have never tasted a Wiener Circle shake) .... perhaps it's too obscure.

And Wiener Circle in Chicago has the best Chocolate Shake ....

Anyone? 

Mark Smolens

« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2009, 08:23:20 PM »
One generally visits the Weiner Circle after a night filled with alcohol consumption -- not a precursor to a desire for a shake. . .

Carl Nichols

« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2009, 09:54:51 AM »
Haven't been there for at least 12 years myself (when I last lived in Chicago).

PCCraig

« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2009, 01:01:23 PM »
One generally visits the Weiner Circle after a night filled with alcohol consumption -- not a precursor to a desire for a shake. . .

You all really haven't been there in a long time.

Let's just say that these shakes don't have any ice cream in them...
H.P.S.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2009, 01:15:38 PM »
Pat -- glad someone caught the reference. (Dave, couldn't tell if you had.)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2009, 01:16:01 PM »
Sounds like a great place to eat  :P

"Wiener's Circle, an iconic hot dog stand on the North Side, was shut down by the city Friday after inspectors found several food safety violations, including finding no hot running water at the Lincoln Park restaurant.
The hot-water violation was noted as significant by the City Health Department because it meant workers were unable to wash their hands in an acceptable manner and food utensils and cooking equipment could not be washed properly, according to a statement.
The restaurant, located at 2622 N. Clark St., was also cited after inspectors found two pounds of cooked onions being stored at unsafe temperatures, the city department said. It said the onions were being stored more than 30 degrees below the required standard.
The inspection followed an inspection Dec. 12 after a customer called 311, claiming the restaurant had a rodent infestation. There was no evidence found of rodents, the release stated, but management was ticketed for having an overflowing garbage container.
The eatery is famous for its rambunctious late-night crowd and foul-mouthed staff".

PCCraig

« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2009, 01:18:34 PM »
Pat -- glad someone caught the reference. (Dave, couldn't tell if you had.)

Well worth the $20!!!!
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2009, 01:20:32 PM »

"Wiener's Circle, an iconic hot dog stand on the North Side, was shut down by the city Friday after inspectors found several food safety violations, including finding no hot running water at the Lincoln Park restaurant.
The hot-water violation was noted as significant by the City Health Department because it meant workers were unable to wash their hands in an acceptable manner and food utensils and cooking equipment could not be washed properly, according to a statement.
The restaurant, located at 2622 N. Clark St., was also cited after inspectors found two pounds of cooked onions being stored at unsafe temperatures, the city department said. It said the onions were being stored more than 30 degrees below the required standard.
The inspection followed an inspection Dec. 12 after a customer called 311, claiming the restaurant had a rodent infestation. There was no evidence found of rodents, the release stated, but management was ticketed for having an overflowing garbage container.
The eatery is famous for its rambunctious late-night crowd and foul-mouthed staff".

Rodents and a lack of running water just add to the charm. After a long night of bar hopping, coming across the circle is like finding an oasis in Lincoln Park.
H.P.S.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2009, 02:40:41 PM »

Is there a problem here?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2009, 03:20:24 PM »
Mike,
No, not if you don't mind a little smegma on your dogs.  ::)

PCCraig

« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2009, 07:32:09 PM »
Mike,
No, not if you don't mind a little smegma on your dogs.  ::)

Isn't that were the smegma comes from???
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back