News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Re: dream GCA match: Chicago v Philly!
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 11:31:08 AM »
Dinner is predetermined:

This

What do people in Chicago call that abomination?

"Gourmet"....quite sadly

After growing up in NY and later spending 13+ yrs in Chicago, Deep Dish pizza is a poor substitution for the combination of overcooked lasagne and thin-crust pizza.

BTW...winner to face the winner of NY/NJ vs. SoCal (or NoCal)???? Obviously, fresher, better and more diverse food treasure awaits on either end ;D

that beautiful creation  contains probably 4 times as much pizza as those skinny as shit things called NY style pizza!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Phil McDade

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 11:31:19 AM »
Is this supposed to look good or appealing in the least bit?  Looks like someone heated up a jar of Paul Newmans spaghetti sauce and dumped it on a crazy-bread crust with a bit of cheese mixed in.  Less sauce and more toppings for me please.  ;D

Kalen:

Please note the dish in which this is cooked. It is deep. Thus, its moniker. There is lots of room in the middle there for any and all toppings you might like.

In fact, I'd argue this pizza is something that the likes of Mackenzie or Langford would admire. There's more room for a variety of toppings, just as Mackenzie and Langford emphasized fairway width in their course designs for a wider variety of shots. Those thin-crust pizzas have their virtues -- as do some tree-lined, corridor-like courses -- but they are inevitably limited to one or two toppings at most, and don't offer nearly the variety that the deep-dish does.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 11:36:45 AM »
Paul:

Is that why the average Chicagoan appears 4X wider than the average NY'er???

The Second City (which makes Philly a distant 3rd) has always been about copying some of NY's finer things.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

PThomas

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 11:38:36 AM »
As a neutral (CA resident) in the highly volatile and mega-important issue of what area makes the best pizza... I have to say this:  I spent some time in Chicago, had a lot of deep-dish, and I thought it was pretty damn good.

Then I went to New York.

Walking down some street in Manhattan, I saw people lined up at hole in the wall Italian restaurant.  I couldn't tell you its name - my memory is far from that good.  But I was hungry and when in Rome... so I got in line.  When I finally reached the front I felt like Elaine in front of the Soup Nazi, as there was such a detailed and pre-determined procedure for ordering... but somehow I meekly got out of there with two huge slices of plain cheese pizza.

One bite and I thought I was in heaven.  Two bites and I KNEW I was.

So all full apologies to my Chicago friends and relatives (my mother lived the first 13 years of her life in Chicago and I have many relatives still there)... but if one wants truly great pizza, New York is the place.

HUCK, HUCK, HUCK.....i AM SPEECHLESS MY GOOD FRIEND....SUCH A STATEMENT WILL SURELY WEIGH STRONGY AGAINST  A POSSIBLE NATIONAL MEMBERSHIP IN THE REVERSE JANS CLUB

PARDON MY WHILE I GO WEEP.....

PCCraig

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 11:40:36 AM »
There could be a contest between the rudest but most delicious late night haunt.

I say; The Wiener Circle vs. Pat's Steaks.

Maybe we can convince the Philly guys to order a $20 Chocolate Milkshake!  ;)  ;D
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 11:41:12 AM »
By the way...sign me up!
H.P.S.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2009, 11:47:04 AM »
Paul:

I have to be honest in these things.  My great aunt and uncle are likely weeping also.  But I cannot tell a lie.

Gotta go with NY.

TH

PThomas

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2009, 11:48:25 AM »
Paul:

Is that why the average Chicagoan appears 4X wider than the average NY'er???

STEVE, REALLY, BE REALISTIC...3X , MAX ;)
   The Second City (which makes Philly a distant 3rd) has always been about copying some of NY's finer things.

I GUESS THE CUBS HAVE BEEN COPYING THE EARLY METS TEAMS INSTEAD OF ALL THE CHAMPIONSHIP YANKEE TEAMS

THANK GOD MJ WON 6 TIMES!

PThomas

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2009, 11:50:05 AM »
Paul:

I have to be honest in these things.  My great aunt and uncle are likely weeping also.  But I cannot tell a lie.

Gotta go with NY.

TH

IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE THAT HUCK-LIKE CHARM WE'D HAVE PROBLEMS MY FRIEND ;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2009, 11:51:21 AM »
Paul:

Gotta go with NY.

TH

IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE THAT HUCK-LIKE CHARM WE'D HAVE PROBLEMS MY FRIEND ;)

Well, just do bear in mind that I have great love for all things Chicago.  2nd place in pizza can't be that bad, can it?  Yours sure as heck kicks butt on anything created originally here in California....

Kyle Harris

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2009, 11:51:28 AM »
June 27, 28, 29 or July 11, 12, 13 are leading weekends for me now.

These are all Saturday through Monday as the Monday would allow for the private course option.

I think it'd be nice to have an informal welcome gathering either Friday Evening or Saturday Morning.

I'd like to make this an annual event designed to showcase a lot of what the so-called Philadelphia School is about and to share some of the passion that runs fairly deep in these parts. As is so often the case on GCA we can make it "Philadelphia v. Rest of the World" and assign a trophy that represents some form of Philadelphia - preferably one of the nicer ones.

I don't know why I'm stuck on this, but a Mason Jar filled with logo balls and Cobb's Creek water seems fitting - if somewhat esoteric.

I propose these criteria for team participation:

Team Philadelphia:
Play the majority of your golf for the year prior to the event at golf courses within the traditional boundary of the Golf Association of Phildelphia (which is either 50 or 100 miles from Billy Penn's hat).

Team Rest of the World:
Don't meet the qualifications for Team Philadelphia, or don't want to be associated with them...

...Benedict.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2009, 11:52:45 AM »
I can see it now:

3G:  Gastronomical Grudge Golf

vs.

Schmidty,

I'd offer them BRATS, if I were you...  8)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2009, 11:58:01 AM »
Ummm... I'd be thrown out of Pennsylvania if I were ever caught drinking Miller

Yuengling, Mr. Shivas... Yuengling

Kalen Braley

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2009, 12:25:49 PM »
Phil,

I'm a "kind and gentle" pizza eater and as such, would not subject my toppings to be drowned in pizza sauce before thier final fate.   ;)

While I will stipulate that pizza out west, likely doesn't hold a candle to the traditional stuff found back east, there are some good joints here in both Uah and Norcal.  Locally here in the SLC area there is a chain called "The Pie" that is damn good...and in Norcal, "Mountain Mikes" is pretty flipping tasty too!   :)

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2009, 12:32:52 PM »
June 27, 28, 29 or July 11, 12, 13 are leading weekends for me now.

These are all Saturday through Monday as the Monday would allow for the private course option.

I think it'd be nice to have an informal welcome gathering either Friday Evening or Saturday Morning.

I'd like to make this an annual event designed to showcase a lot of what the so-called Philadelphia School is about and to share some of the passion that runs fairly deep in these parts. As is so often the case on GCA we can make it "Philadelphia v. Rest of the World" and assign a trophy that represents some form of Philadelphia - preferably one of the nicer ones.

I don't know why I'm stuck on this, but a Mason Jar filled with logo balls and Cobb's Creek water seems fitting - if somewhat esoteric.

I propose these criteria for team participation:

Team Philadelphia:
Play the majority of your golf for the year prior to the event at golf courses within the traditional boundary of the Golf Association of Phildelphia (which is either 50 or 100 miles from Billy Penn's hat).

HOW ABOUT THOSE THAT MAINTAIN TIES WITH PHILLY?  I'm still a card-carrying GAP member, even though I live 3,000 miles away. 

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2009, 01:07:10 PM »
For visitors looking for a guaranteed hangover and/or gastorintestinal cure, those who are particularly generou$ and kind to me will likely get my tips for the best place in the region to get what I like to call, "Perfection in a Bowl".

A single bowl will also innoculate you against the common cold for at least 2 months.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2009, 01:28:20 PM »
I didn't know Campbell's made Oriental food...  ;)

Ouch...that hurts.   :-[

What do we know about this place, Kemosabe?

http://www.phofever.com/restaurants.php?rid=1715

It seems to be reasonably close to The Jans, or am I off the mark?

TEPaul

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2009, 04:30:50 PM »
I think a Chicago v Philadelphia match seems like a real possiblility, at least for those interested in anthropology as well as golf. But in preparation I would like someone to check with the US Adjutant General first to see whether the US Cavalry can spare us at least one division for protection for the trip out there. I can do that if you'd like as I've become quite friendly with General Horatio Winfield Doublebritches. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 04:32:28 PM by TEPaul »

Kirk Gill

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2009, 04:31:40 PM »
Forgive a Denver guy's intrusion.

Deep Dish and NY style pizzas are just two completely different animals. The ingredients in the crusts are just totally different, deep dish crust has a much higher fat content, the sauce on NY pizza has a lot more spice where a lot of Chicago pizzas have very little if any spice in the sauce, NY pizza bakes in a few minutes so sausage has to be pre-cooked, while the ChiTown 'za's bake for a long time and let the sausage cook, NY has cheese on top, Chicago on the bottom......shall I go on?

Which is better? Well, I didn't get this big by being that discriminating. Love both.

Carry on.

When you're in Denver, grab a Double Mexican at Chubby's.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

PThomas

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2009, 04:35:22 PM »
I think a Chicago v Philadelphia match seems like a real possiblility, at least for those interested in anthropology as well as golf. But in preparation I would like someone to check with the US Adjutant General first to see whether the US Cavalry can spare us at least one division for protection for the trip out there. I can do that if you'd like as I've become quite friendly with General Horatio Winfield Doublebritches. 

Protection can be arranged...for a fee , of course ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2009, 04:42:53 PM »
"Protection can be arranged...for a fee , of course  ;D"

I have a much more interesting idea and it does not smack of belicosity in any means or matter. I would even call it societally most progressive and I think it would really do the trick for the restless roaming Indians out there. It was just originated by a friend of mine from New York by the name of Bernie Offmad. It's essentially a deep-discount construction mortgage backed security for tents.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 04:45:36 PM by TEPaul »

Mike Benham

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2009, 04:55:04 PM »
When you guys actually get around to playing golf, NorCal will take on the winners ...

We have all the food and adult beverages that you are clamoring about and ocean views on many of our courses ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2009, 04:55:41 PM »
Alas, there are no longer any breweries in Philly. These are all gone:

We have to rely on Yuengling,America's oldest brewery, in Pottsville for local beer:

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

SL_Solow

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2009, 05:12:48 PM »
Tom;  Those of us in Chicago can talk to the right people and obtain a guarantee of safe passage or, if you prefer the term, "protection" for our guests.

TEPaul

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2009, 05:13:44 PM »
"When you guys actually get around to playing golf, NorCal will take on the winners ..."

Mr. Benham:

What are the people of NorCal? I heard they were some form of Russian aborigines who somehow got across the Bering Straits. I'm quite sure there's noone out there who's heard of golf.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back