News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: dream GCA match: Chicago v Philly!
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2009, 05:16:32 PM »
"Tom;  Those of us in Chicago can talk to the right people and obtain a guarantee of safe passage or, if you prefer the term, "protection" for our guests."

Sheldon:

Thank you but I think I can take care of it myself these days. I'll just put in a call to me new best friend, President Barack Obama.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2009, 05:40:19 PM »
David,

I don't think that Schmidt's would go over at a local tap room in Kensington.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

RJ_Daley

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2009, 06:27:35 PM »
Gentlemen, all your pizza's are mere pretenders.  American Pizza Design is like what Melvyn would probably compare to American golf design.  They are over designed, guady, interpretations of the real deal. 

Pizza is a simple food.  It isn't a deep dish of cornmeal bread, or slab of greasy cheese gobbed onto a cud of sausage and pineapple and such.

Like true golf, pizza is minimalistic and made on a natural terrain of simple dough with goodness of San Marzano tomato in a simple marinara, with mozzarella di bufallo, basilico, and sometimes a hint of anchovie or a bit of peperoni. 

Deep dish is akin to the Ted Robinson waterfall design of pizza, and NY slice is the closer cousin of the original, but with a lube job of grease and gooey cheese.  Califonia pinapples and avocado and such on a pizza is as if Des Muirhead had designed it.  ::)

A tutorial if you need...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYIEN0oSvgc&feature=related
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2009, 06:38:23 PM »
RJ,
Thank You!
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Carl Nichols

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »
RJ:  Good point.

If, however, we limit the discussion to the U.S., doesn't New Haven have the best ratio of pizza quality to total population?

And Wiener Circle in Chicago has the best Chocolate Shake ....

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2009, 07:18:09 PM »
New Haven is also the home of the first hamburger in the U.S.

Don't ask for ketchup.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2009, 07:19:58 PM »

Don't ask for ketchup.

Is that where Ray Kroc was located?  :)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2009, 07:28:43 PM »
Joe,

;)  That would be Louis' Lunch on Crown St., NH (don't ask for a roll either, just white toast)

The hardest part of going to NH is choosing between burgers at Louis' or pizza at Pepe's (Sally's for some). 

I say go early, have a burger for lunch, leave late, have apizza for supper.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 07:30:56 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2009, 07:45:59 PM »
Jim:
Are you a clam pizza guy?

TEPaul

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2009, 11:12:16 PM »
If you guys want some really fine pizza I suggest you go to Tuscany. Mmmmm---good! And believe it or not some of the people over there are actually more sophisticated than most of the prominent Philadelphians I've run across ;), even though I could not find anyone in Tuscany who understood the finer points of the redan hole concept. 

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2009, 11:40:09 PM »
Carl,
Clams and bacon.

My grandmother (Nonna) came from Avigliano, a small village near Potenza, which is east of Naples, and I never saw anything but tomatos, mozzarella and basil on a pizza until I was a teenager.  ;D

C. Squier

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2009, 11:40:37 PM »

Don't ask for ketchup.

Nope, he was a Chicago guy....lived just down the street from the original right after I got married.

PCCraig

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2009, 09:40:42 AM »

Don't ask for ketchup.

Nope, he was a Chicago guy....lived just down the street from the original right after I got married.

I work just down the street (River Rd) as well. If only the burgers still cost 15 cents!
H.P.S.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2009, 10:17:49 AM »
It still is:  $.15 in 1960 has the same value as $1.08 today, the price of a cheeseburger, incl. tax, on the dollar menu.  :D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2009, 11:28:33 AM »
Dave,

1. Louis’ Lunch, New Haven, Conn.
The Hamburger

There are competing claims for the coveted “Inventor of the Hamburger” title, but according to Louis’ Lunch (and the Library of Congress, for that matter), this small New Haven restaurant takes the prize. The story goes something like this: One day in 1900, a rushed businessman asked owner Louis Lassen for something quick that he could eat on the run. Lassen cooked up a beef patty, put it between some bread, and sent the man on his way. Pretty modest beginnings for arguably the most popular sandwich of all-time, huh? If you visit Louis’ today, you’ll find that not much has changed. The Lassen family still owns and operates the restaurant, the burgers are still cooked in ancient gas stoves, and, just like then, there is absolutely no ketchup allowed.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2009, 11:29:31 AM »
On the other hand, you Illinois guys should be proud of this one. 

Cozy Dog Drive In, Springfield, Ill.
Corn Dogs

In 1946, Ed Waldmire, Jr., revolutionized the stick-meat world when he debuted the Cozy Dog—the first corn dog on a stick. At first, he wanted to call his creation the “Crusty Cur,” but his wife convinced him to change the name to “Cozy Dog.” She felt people wouldn’t want to eat something described as “crusty.” Good call, Mrs. Waldmire. Shortly after the Cozy Dog’s inception, the Cozy Dog Drive In opened alongside old Route 66 and has been serving up corn dogs ever since.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2009, 11:31:03 AM »
Pat’s King Of Steaks, Philadelphia, Pa.
Philly Cheesesteak

Philadelphia is known for many things (Ben Franklin, the Liberty Bell, and Rocky, for starters), but fine dining is not really its forte. That’s OK, though, because Philly is the home of Pat’s King of Steaks, and Pat’s King of Steaks is where the Philly cheesesteak was born. One day back in 1932, hot dog stand owners Pasquale (Pat) and Harry Olivieri decided to change things up and make a steak sandwich with onions. A cab driver who ate at Pat’s daily insisted on trying the new sandwich, and with the first bite declared, “Hey, forget ‘bout those hot dogs, you should sell these!” Cab drivers know fast food about as well as anyone, so the brothers did just what the cabbie suggested. In no time, the modest stand turned into the Pat’s that exists today. Controversy remains, however, over who’s responsible for putting the cheese in cheesesteak. Pat’s claims it was the first to do so (in 1951), but across-the-street rival Joe Vento of Geno’s Steaks (opened 1966) insists he added the finishing touches.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2009, 11:46:12 AM »
What you're going to find are several claims to the first 'hamburger', some disputed, others impossible to prove.

What you will also find is that the modern notion of a hamburger was popularized in 1904 by:  Fletcher Davis of Athens, Texas,(who) served the hamburger at the St. Louis World's Fair. Davis spread a mixture of ground mustard and mayonnaise on slices of thick bread and topped the burger with cucumber pickles and a slice of Bermuda onion. It reportedly created quite a sensation, and after the World's Fair, newspaper reports helped spread the hamburger idea throughout the country.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2009, 11:48:32 AM »
Since this thread has devolved into a regional cuisine debate, I will treat anyone coming to Nashville to lunch at Prince's Hot Chicken - if you're man or women enough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xXxV9qIPg

I triple-dog dare ya.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2009, 12:01:05 PM »
Apparently, this, with a long, cold Schmidt's Gay Beer, was the meal of choice for some lonely men in the Tundra of Wisconsin....

There's a reason they're lonely.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2009, 12:26:25 PM »
Dave, as long as you are at it, you might as well tell them now that you are also a native born son of the home of the Ice Cream Sundae!  Well, just down the road from Two Rivers WI as you were from Whitelaw, a few miles away, if I'm not mistaken.

Here is the proof and enabling legislation, to go along with the Hamburger Resolution:
http://www.tworiverseconomicdevelopment.org/relocation/history-sundae.htm

So, we have Philly as official home of Cheese Steaks, Napoli as the home of Pizza, Wisconsin towns neaby each other -home of Hamburgers and Ice Cream sundae... what is it that Chicago added to this party?  Perhaps the first golf course...in US?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2009, 12:29:58 PM »
Dave, as long as you are at it, you might as well tell them now that you are also a native born son of the home of the Ice Cream Sundae!  Well, just down the road from Two Rivers WI as you were from Whitelaw, a few miles away, if I'm not mistaken.

Here is the proof and enabling legislation, to go along with the Hamburger Resolution:
http://www.tworiverseconomicdevelopment.org/relocation/history-sundae.htm

So, we have Philly as official home of Cheese Steaks, Napoli as the home of Pizza, Wisconsin towns neaby each other -home of Hamburgers and Ice Cream sundae... what is it that Chicago added to this party?  Perhaps the first golf course...in US?

Add Hoagies to the Philadelphia list.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2009, 01:29:58 PM »
Add San Francisco as the home of the oldest Italian restaurant in the U.S..

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 01:34:35 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2009, 01:48:47 PM »
Wisconsin definitely gets the burger...thanks Dave.

Probably some Connecticut Yankees up in New Haven came up with that tall tale.   ::) ;D

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2009, 02:51:58 PM »
OK on the burger(although Louis' may be the oldest hamburger restaurant), but Woodman's of Essex, Ma. holds the honor as the oldest purveyor of fried clams.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back