News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Philadelphia Cricket & Keith Foster
« on: November 19, 2008, 09:30:05 PM »
Keith Foster's website suggests that he and  Phila. Cricket are considering a master plan for the club's Tillinghast course in Flourtown.  Based on Foster's work at Five Farms and at Omaha CC, the Philadelphia project would be a very welcome occurence.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:50:22 PM by mark chalfant »

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Philadelphia Cricket & Keith Foster
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 09:36:03 PM »
Cricket has been awarded the USGA Women's Mid Am in 2010. I think the possible master plan and work was in response to this:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/opinioncarpenter670.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Willie_Dow

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 10:17:21 PM »
Steve :

Having played there a number of times over the years I have liked the tree lined fairways.  It is a back and forth course on many of its holes, and the trees interrupt this acknowledgement.

Very selective removal should be employed, IMO.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 10:25:32 PM »
I think the thrust of the proposed work will be reinstalling the bunkers that were grassed in years ago. I don't think Cricket will turn out like Oakmont did with the tree removal. IF the work is done, it may not be ready for the 2010 event.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 01:17:18 AM »
I think Foster did a terrific job at Five Farms and Philly Cricket definitely has low-hanging fruit that could be plucked easily in any restoration/renovation effort.   Much of what needs to be done is detailed in Gib Carpenter's article here from a few months back, but the "bones" of PCC are absolutely terrific, and the course features some of the most singularly unique and interesting holes in the Philly region.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/opinioncarpenter670.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 01:19:55 AM by MikeCirba »

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 06:06:31 AM »
I'm impressed with Keith Foster and his approach to this kind of project. He sought us out and we had a really productive meeting with him over the subject of Flynn's design work at Philly Cricket over time.

In my opinion, Keith Foster has one of the sanest and most realistic approaches to a restoration project I've ever seen. On the other hand, I would hestitate to discuss his approach to the project or the project on here judging from some of the threads on this website on some other local projects by participants on here who clearly have far less than complete information on these things.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 07:13:50 AM »
In talking with Keith here this summer, he seemed very excited to have the opportunity to work at Cricket Club. I beleive they are also in the process of looking for a new superintendent. Any word yet? I'd have to think that this is a very exciting time for Cricket club and it's member!

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Matt OBrien

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 01:16:13 PM »
I know this is WAYYYYYYY O/T but wasnt the caddy who was just arrested at cricket for murdering his wife names Keith Foster?

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 04:04:35 PM »
In talking with Keith here this summer, he seemed very excited to have the opportunity to work at Cricket Club. I beleive they are also in the process of looking for a new superintendent. Any word yet? I'd have to think that this is a very exciting time for Cricket club and it's member!

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth

They've hired their superintendent and are currently interviewing assistants.

Steve_ Shaffer

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 10:22:52 AM »
I second Mark's comment on Foster's work at Omaha CC.  I thought it was stellar.  I am anxious to see what he does at Langford's Chickasaw CC in Memphis.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Copeland

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 11:49:49 AM »
I know this is WAYYYYYYY O/T but wasnt the caddy who was just arrested at cricket for murdering his wife names Keith Foster?

No...but close
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

Matt OBrien

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 01:08:25 PM »
Sorry guys. I caddies a few times with that guys and you would never know

Powell Arms

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 06:37:03 PM »
Mr Foster has delivered his master plan, and, as we all expected, it is very much in keeping with the Tillinghast and Flynn design and improvements.  Foster did an incredible amount of research before he was awarded the project, and it is evident in the final docs.

It also is thoughtfully phased so it could be a phased project, with some very easy construction matters resulting in major improvements - for example, the reconstruction of the Tillinghast grand hazard on the par 5 fourth that was removed about 30 yrs ago.  Like any change, there will be some robust debate, especially in light of the overall economy.  Stay tuned

PowellArms@gmail.com
@PWArms

Steve_ Shaffer

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back