News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Architectural Proscenia
« on: December 23, 2008, 06:39:08 PM »
Assuming that proscenia is the proper Latin plural of proscenium, I'm off to a good start.
Recently whilst playing, I've been haunted by the repeating notion that Golf is a two-dimensional game played on a three-dimensional field.
I employ the analogy of the Proscenium Arch here to illustrate the sensation I am trying to describe.
It seems to me that there is a particular feature of the journey of a round of golf which is utterly two-dimensional. After each shot is played, there is a momentary condition where the next shot is 'framed' (sorry!) in the context of a view, a set of landscape features and a field of play for this one shot unique to itself. E.g. the approach to TOC 17 - a frame in which to decide a strategy - right side and knock on, fire at the pin and pray, left and play that mad/fun approach.
The Proscenium Arch actually has manifested itself to me at a number of courses I've played recently. I tend to visualise shots in terms of a picture. Sure, there's 3 dimensions, but the overall view is 'where am I hitting on the canvas?' - kind of like those games where you hit a ball at a projected computer view on a screen and it all gets calculated for you.
Please tell me I'm not going mad and that this actually might be a defensible way in which to visualise a golf course and also one with which to play this game.
thank you,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill_McBride

Re: Architectural Proscenia
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 06:43:06 PM »
Nephew,

What have you been drinking, and how much?

I'll have whatever you're having, I love that image of the proscenium.  Best I can remember is the view from #15 tee at Cypress Point as you get to the tee.  ;D

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 06:44:18 PM »
Martin:

Personally, I think golf is a three-dimensional game, and that the unfortunate part is too many golf course architects only think in two.

Michael Rossi

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 06:46:58 PM »
MB

My father always taught me to picture the shot then hit the shot at the sky not at the target, but he is a crazy good ball striker.
As for the visual game going on in your mind, I would be mad to guess.
The theory makes sense to me.

MR

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 06:49:24 PM »
Heres the link if you want to know...I must admit, I hadn't a clue what the drunken Scot was blabbering on about.  ;D  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proscenium

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 06:56:30 PM »
Unc,
a truly wondrous wee 10yo Jura. Soft, slightly peaty, sweet and yet all whisky... ;D You are scarily omniscient!
You get what I mean though, eh? That moment of a shot in the context of a big picture! You frame it in your head as you (hopefully) walk up to the ball. The clearer the image of the picture - in both visual and golfing terms - the simpler/easier(?) the shot. Some Courses lend themselves to it way better than others.

Tom,
I knew you in particular might pick me up on the 2-d comment. Please don't misunderstand - I hope I have as much of a similar education and golfing 'brain' as you, that 3d comes as second nature to us, but what I am trying to describe is only a momentary sensation. A 'picture' - something like those now digitally captured - which can NEVER represent the real shot, but which might 'describe' the options. I'm not explaining this as well as I might!!! (Blame the Jura!! ;D)

Michael,
I do tend to approach this game from a slightly different angle than many. My MBTI type would tend to indicate that I can't help it!!!

Kalen,
just you wait...the Jura is on ice for ya!

cheers,
FBD.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 07:12:14 PM »
Marvellous Wikipedia description which just about embodies what I'm wittering on about...

"The proscenium arch creates a "window" around the scenery and actors. The advantages are that it gives everyone in the audience a good view because the actors need only focus on one direction rather than continually moving around the stage to give a good view from all sides. A proscenium theater layout also simplifies the hiding and obscuring of objects from the audience's view (sets, actors not currently performing, and theater technology). Anything that is not meant to be seen is simply placed outside the "window" created by the proscenium arch."

See, there's the context I'm trying so pitifully to describe. It's simple - a 'WINDOW', duh!

I love the sneakiness of hiding/obscuring too...

FBD.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 08:05:22 PM »
Tom Doak,
Could one argue that golf is a four dimensional game?  (The 4th dimension being time).

Height, Width, Length, Time.  Hmmmm.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back