News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Santa lets you play your favorite course
« on: December 20, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »
Lets say for this holiday season that your wife, girlfriend, relative etc. gets you to play your dream course or favorite course in the world!  Now pick the 3 people in the world you dis-like the most; boss, father -in-law, etc.  These 3 people will be your foursome.  Are you still taking the gift or would they ruin your experience?

PThomas

Re: Santa lets you play your favorite course
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 12:43:32 PM »
no thanks Santa!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 12:47:42 PM »
nothx

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 01:02:15 PM »
No golf course could overcome the absolute pain and sheer torture I would experience having to play with the three people I would least like to play with.  Sad, but true.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Terry Thornton

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
I'd start at least, see how it went. Who knows, perhaps the experience could turn them into decent folk (the personality clashes of course being in no way attributable to myself).
If not I could always tell the story of how I walked off CPC after 3 holes.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 01:52:24 PM »
The match would have to be at Prestwick St Nicholas. Happily, I don't have personal contact with anyone I dislike, so I'll have to play on my own with my three worst failings, the slice, the topped-shot and the shank. I realise that you should never mention the shank, but in confronting our demons we have to acknowledge them: there is no hiding from them. I shall, of course, come away from the match sorely chastened, but at least the slice, the topped-shot and the shank will leave the course heads held high and possibly buy me a drink. And as one dram leads to another I shall, no doubt, get to like these three all the more and vow to play with them every time I visit a course. After all, they are very loyal to me.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 02:59:58 PM »
Mark,
Please have the decency to call it a snap fade instead of a sh-sh-sh.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 03:23:03 PM »
Mark,
Please have the decency to call it a snap fade instead of a sh-sh-sh.

or perhaps "the dreaded lateral."

I once saw my uncle shank pitch shots 360 degrees around an inverted saucer green, old #7 at the old Newnan (GA) Country Club.  It took him about six shanks, probably a record.

Luckily the clubhouse bar was only about 300 yards away.  ;)

Mark Smolens

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 03:28:22 PM »
I once hit a bucket of balls off the hosel at Diversey Driving range.  Couldn't stop.  People kept moving further and further away from my stall so as not to catch what I had. . . good thing so that they didn't notice the tears streaming down my cheeks.   :'(  I just wanted to hit one on the face so I could quit for the day.  I'd much rather play with the three worst people on earth, than to play with the dreaded lateral.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 03:31:19 PM »
I'd do it in a heartbeat. Besides great golf, there would be an opportunity on a much more important level.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 03:36:06 PM »
Could I select Old Head as the venue?

I could envision finishing the round as a single.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 04:57:55 PM »
I think I could put up with George W. Bush, Dick Chaney, and Rush Limbaugh enough to play the course of my favorite pictorial essay, Friars Head.

I figure I would let them socialize while I play golf.
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Andy Troeger

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 05:02:59 PM »
I'd do it in a heartbeat. Besides great golf, there would be an opportunity on a much more important level.

Joe

Agreed. While I'm sure I could come up with a group, they likely wouldn't be people I know well or that would know why they were there!  ;D

Ian_L

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 05:05:10 PM »
Could I select Old Head as the venue?

I could envision finishing the round as a single.

Nice!

I'd do it without question.  That being said, I don't know many people I hate, and I don't get many opportunities to play great courses.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 05:32:47 PM »
On maturer reflection, I don't want Santa tainted with horrid people. I believe in him, so let's have some lovely partners. I suggest Joseph Haydn (probably the only classical composer who would be nice to meet), Pierre-Auguste Renoir (I don't know what he was like, but have you ever seen a more beautiful little girl than that in Les Parapluies? Our daughters excepted), and my father-in-law (the most reasoned and adjusted man you could ever wish to know). OK, I'll sign on for therapy tomorrow.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back