News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

1925 Picture; 6th Hole Pebble Beach
« on: December 19, 2008, 11:37:41 PM »

Sans Cross bunker on distant hill.

Let's see if this will get even less of a response than Melvyn's thread.

FWIW, There was some speculation years ago that a cross bunker originally existed on the hill. With all the changes to PB early in it's life, I don;t remember if the contention was that it was pre - 1925.

Anyone remember the old debate?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bill_McBride

Re: 1925 Picture; 6th Hole Pebble Beach
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 11:42:38 PM »
Does that 1925 photo fit into the Mackenzie timeline?  Tully?  Neil Crafter?  Nick Leefe?

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 12:19:57 AM »
I thought he arrived in 1926.  That's consistent with Pebble Beach Golf Links - The Official History and Geoff's AM's CPC.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Rob Rigg

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 12:36:46 AM »
Adam,

That is a really cool pic - the drop off to the right is very interesting and the black & white creates a timeless feeling to it.

I have never seen that hole before or played it - thanks for sharing

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 12:39:50 AM »
Adam,

Did Willie Campbell design that cross bunker?

;)

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 02:45:27 AM »
Bill, Kevin, and Adam
Kevin, yes you are spot on, Mackenzie's first visit to the US was in January 1926 so it would have been a trifle difficult for him to be photographed playing the 6th at Pebble in 1925. If the date was 1926 or after I certainly would believe it.
I have to wonder whether - the date is correct and the person is mislabelled as Mackenzie - or whether the person is Mackenzie and the date is wrong. It doesn't look too much like Mackenzie to me on the image I enlarged.
Neil

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 06:28:38 PM »
Rob Rigg,

Those trees on the left are NLE. It's a pity we can't see left side of the fairway. It almost looks like you can make out just a hint of a bunker's edge under the tree limb. But, the cavernous looking cliffside sure looks closer and more daunting than today's version with trees.

It's amazing how images distort the reality. You'd swear that fairway slopes gently all the way up there. Today, one has a downhill lie if they drive the ball inside 250 yards to the green. The base of the hill is at the 190 mark.

But where is the cross bunker?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

BCrosby

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 08:10:36 PM »
Is it possible that Egan added the cross bunker a couple of years later?

Neil - When MacK came to the US for the first time on 1/26, did he go straight to California?

Bob

David Stamm

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 09:16:52 PM »
The man addressing the ball does not look like AM to me. The one hidden behind the golfer to the right could be (he's certainly standing like him), but how do we know for sure? The date could be right and their wrong about who's in the pic. More likely though, Graham identified the man hidden to the right as MacK and the date is wrong. I know no one has said either way, it just struck me when looking at this.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 10:46:41 PM »
Bob
His ship the SS Homeric arrived in NYC on 20 January 1926 and Mac travelled across country (by train almost certainly), meeting up with Perry Maxwell in Oklahoma City on the 25th (and possibly a day or so either side) and arrived in San Francisco on 28th.

David
If Mac is the man behind, partially hidden, then it seems an odd way of captioning the photo. Although if you read the caption a particular way, you could infer that both Mackenzie and Neville are "on the right". Anyway, I've edited the golfers out from the photo. I guess it looks like it could be Mackenzie. if so, then the date is wrong.
Neil

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 11:00:46 PM »
Bob -- Egan's notes re his work on #6 (from the PB history) include "two new tees built back of the old tee, making the length from the back tee t the new green about 500 yards"...moving the green back and to the right near the 7th tee...an "additional fairway along the edge of the ocean, particularly at the top of the hill near the ocean"..."a large sand hazard to the left of the fairway warns the player not to seek the hard ground for extra roll"..."three traps have been placed diagonally up the slope of the hill about 350 yards from the the tee".  "The green is in full view from the tee and the top of the pin may be seen from a properly placed drive."
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 12:14:19 AM »
Kevin, Thanx for those notes.

Interesting they are described as diagonal. As I recall from 10 years ago, the 3 had evolved (or was changed) into one. Mostly vertical to the line of the hole, on the left side, with a couple of lobes that oriented towards the fairway. These lobes may have been those diagonals.

From the picture, it sure looks like three bunkers up there, but the farthest one, could be much closer to the green than the other two which look like they are on the hillside. Or, at least near the top of that rise which is pretty close to the 150 mark.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back