News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Stanford Golf Course -- (Hole #1 posted)
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008, 02:48:28 PM »
I think the bunker is perfectly-placed as is; what I'd prefer is a tee back at the back of the putting green, for the Matt Cohns of the world who can clear it with ease.  Having hit into it several times, it's right there where I'd hit a decent drive... I have to think about it big time.  But yes it's not an issue for the big boys.  Tough question too:  is this course geared toward challenging the college boys and Matt, or is it geared toward fun for its members? 

One thing they really ought to do is cut back the rough behind the bunker, as others have said... give some real reward for clearing it, make the temptation greater to try.

And Michael H.  me lad, I hate to go all Wardian on you, but I feel fairly confident if you saw this hole in person you wouldn't call it awful.  It's pretty darn fun.

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2008, 03:06:43 PM »
Everyone realizes that at Stanford (as viewed in the first picture) the Blue tees, in honor of their arch enemy across the bay, are not the back set as is normal at many courses but is in fact the Ladies tee blocks, the easiest tees on the scorecard.  The Cardinal (red) tee markers are the back tees.

Men's Course Ratings:
Cardinal Tees - Rating 73.0, Slope 140
Black Tees - Rating 70.5, Slope 133
White Tees - Rating 69.0, Slope 126

Women's Course Ratings:
White Tees - Rating 74.0, Slope 132
Blue Tees - Rating 71.5, Slope 128

As a guy who has attended many Big Games (including the Play in 1982) and always sat amongst the Old Blues, I love those tee markers at Stanford.

The Play, as announced by Joe Starkey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aCDfJH6eRY

Just a little something for all the Stanfurd fans!   Go Bears!

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2008, 04:33:42 PM »
Here is the link to the post with the two videos of the nines at Stanford...

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35244.0.html

Ian_L

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2008, 05:09:36 PM »
Hole #2 -- Par 4
Cardinal: 483 yds
Black: 423 yds
White: 388 yds

In 1930: 430 yds

This is one of my favorite driving holes on the course.  One good thing I see coming from the advances in modern equipment is that players like me now get to play the course as it was designed for stronger players.  In this case, as a short/medium length hitter, I need to hit a solid shot to draw it 193 yards over the left bunker from the black tees, a mis-hit lands me in the sand.  If in the left bunker, there's a very good chance the tree behind will block the green, forcing a pitch out and a full third shot.

There is a Tiger tee (that's the 483 yards on the card) behind the road used for tournaments.  It provides less of a dogleg than the regular Cardinal tees (see aerial), but makes for a much longer bunker carry.

The tee shot from the black tees (zoomed in):

A drive over/around the bunker gives the clear reward of a mid-iron to the green rather than a long-iron or fairway wood.  However, it appears playing out to the right side of the fairway would give the golfer the preferred angle to a left-hand pin, avoiding the bunker short and left of the green.  Like #1, I think more fairway around that bunker would be beneficial to the strategy of the hole.  Aerial comparison: http://stanfordmensgolf.org/aerials/aerial2.htm .

The second shot from just past the left fairway bunker, to a left pin:

The green has a hump on the left side that provides a backstop for short-left pins, but makes back-left hole locations difficult to reach.

One final comment: although the course is over-watered, The fairway around the greens always seems to play firm, accommodating running shots and putts.  Of course, I usually play soggy courses, so maybe I just have low standards...

I am forced to ignore the Kal poster on this thread due to our 3rd quarter collapse three weeks ago.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Stanford Golf Course -- (Hole #2 posted)
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2008, 05:16:30 PM »
Ian:  great last line!  I'm just pissed you left #1 though as I was enjoying seeing a hole in person and discussing it in here on the same day.  Yes, I was at the practice green earlier today.

But on to #2....

I had a low trajectory shot PLUG in front of that green last time there, so methinks your standards are low.  That's ok, most Bay Area golfers would call Stanford screaming firm and fast around the greens.  ;D

As for the rest of it, I agree that modern technology has made this hole better for me, as now I can challenge that left bunker, whereas back in the day it was always a punt to the right.

Good hole - just don't get Rich started about the practice area to the right of it... fantastic space for the team, for sure, but Rich oh so correctly lamented about what that space MIGHT have been used for given the great University that his alma mater is....

TH

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 05:18:25 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike Benham

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2008, 05:25:48 PM »
As TH stated, I do feel that this hole has been compromised by modern technology.  The best evidence is the size of the green, one could assume that long irons were the normal play into this green.

From the non-Tiger back tees, it is "only" 250 yards to carry the bunker on the left and this is a fairway that usually gets some roll ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2008, 05:30:33 PM »
As TH stated, I do feel that this hole has been compromised by modern technology.  The best evidence is the size of the green, one could assume that long irons were the normal play into this green.

From the non-Tiger back tees, it is "only" 250 yards to carry the bunker on the left and this is a fairway that usually gets some roll ...

250 carry is absolutely perfect distance for me... that makes me think I can do it, but I likely won't - takes a very good hit for me.

TH

Mike Benham

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2008, 05:38:20 PM »

250 carry is absolutely perfect distance for me... that makes me think I can do it, but I likely won't - takes a very good hit for me.

TH

True but there is a nice turbo boost slot just right of the left bunker that your baby draw will kick another 25-30 yards of roll.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2008, 05:43:50 PM »

TH

True but there is a nice turbo boost slot just right of the left bunker that your baby draw will kick another 25-30 yards of roll.

Oh sure that just makes it more PERFECT - as I know that - and that makes the risk that much more tempting.  Hit a solid shot, get a short iron in... wuss out to the right, have hybrid if lucky....

Hopefully it works out the same for big hitters from the back tee.

TH

Ian_L

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2008, 05:45:48 PM »
Just a note: I'm driving up to Oregon in about 5 minutes, not sure if I'll have a chance to post #3 for the next few days.  Feel free to talk about #1 and the rest of the course as well.

Cheers,

Ian

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2008, 06:24:35 PM »
Can't think of too many starts like this where the tee ball has to immediately clear a street / road to reach the fairway.

One comes to mind ... Fallbrook GC.  Can't remember though if it's at the start of the front or back nine.

Front 9. Goofy hole, fun Rainville course with a few interesting things going on.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2008, 06:48:05 PM »
For the Cal fans....

For the Stanford fans....

Not sure who the hell this is for.....

Rich Goodale

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2008, 12:06:12 AM »
Thanks for the pics, Jon.

We will always have the best band, even if they never learn how to tackle....

Ian_L

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2008, 12:45:49 AM »
Currently in Garberville for the night...

I had a low trajectory shot PLUG in front of that green last time there, so methinks your standards are low.  That's ok, most Bay Area golfers would call Stanford screaming firm and fast around the greens.  ;D

Come to think of it, most of my experience on this course has been in dry weather, so I haven't had anything close to the conditions you describe.  But yes, my standards for inland courses are quite low...

I'll be posting hole 3 shortly in case I can't post for the next few days, but feel free to keep talking about #2 as well.

Ian_L

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2008, 01:03:17 AM »
Hole #3 -- Par 3

Cardinal: 215
Black: 193
White: 166

This is the first of the two completely unoriginal holes on the course.  I do like the strategy I see in the hole, though.  The shorter hitter can bounce the ball onto the green (in dry conditions), getting a nice kick to the left if he skirts the bunker.  For the less daring, there is a bailout to the right with some fairway, leaving a good chance at an up-and-down.  The junk left of the green is a lateral hazard, but balls can often be found there, with interesting recovery prospects (I was straddling a tree trunk there during my last round).

Wide view:

Zoomed in:

A couple things I'm not so fond of:
-I think the trees short and right are tough on short hitters, I've seen a few good-looking fairway wood tee shots clip the tree and fall into the forest.
-The spine-like feature down the middle of the green seems out of place on the course and prevents the player who bounced the ball onto the green from reaching left-side pin positions.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 08:06:53 PM by Ian_Linford »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2008, 01:05:32 AM »
Getting back to the hole....

As Ian says, this is a great driving hole.  When I was at school, carrying the left hand bunker from the then back tee (420) with my faux hickories (Bobby Jones-Spalding) was out of the question, so a sling hook was the only way to set up an iron shot to the green.  AS a result, I spent a lot of time in the left-hand bunker and even more time in the hard-scrabble to the left of it under the trees (the ancestral home of the Fugawi tribe).

In the mid-70's Stanford hosted one of the first events of the then-nascent Seniors Tour, and I went out to watch the geezers play the course.  I saw an ~60 year old (OLD in those days....)Robert di Vincenzo carry that bunker just like a ringin' a bell, as Chuck Berry would have said, if Chuck played golf.  I finally made that carry this October, with rental clubs and being older than Roberto was when I saw him there.  Who says that technology hasn't changed the game.....?

I love that green.  There are no radical  rolls and humps and hollows to give the Mackenziephiles wet dreams--just finely cropped turf slipping and sliding here and there like waves on a day when the surf is not "up."  Mavericks, like those from Half Moon Bay and Wasilla, are of interest only in small doses.  The 2nd green at Stanford is golf at its very best, 8 days a week.....

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2008, 06:33:38 AM »
Ian, here's a photo from the rear of the green. You can see the spine/left to right slope(???). I agree with your assessment of the spine being out of place, and the issues with the back-left pin (certainly from the back tees). The greater failure in my mind is Mr. Furly's decision to build something here that pretends to look like a redan but posesses very few, if any of the playing characteristics. Nice setting for one as well.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 06:36:25 AM by Jon Spaulding »

Ian_L

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2008, 08:06:29 PM »
Hole #4 -- Par 3

Cardinal: 168
Black: 146
White: 123
Blue: 102

In 1930: N/A

Another par-3, not much to note here.  The golfer must hit it straight, as San Francisquito Creek makes its first appearance on the course on the right, and a huge bunker awaits on the left.  The green slopes towards the creek, making the bunker shot more difficult.  The back left corner slopes away and to the right, making a tough pin position, even for a relatively short shot.

Again, sorry for no close-ups of the green:

Bill_McBride

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2008, 08:46:30 PM »
Thanks for the pics, Jon.

We will always have the best band, even if they never learn how to tackle....

Just ask Kevin Moen.

??? ???

Jeff Doerr

Re: Stanford Golf Course -- (Hole #4 posted)
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2008, 08:57:18 PM »
Ian,

and those who know...

Why the change on these holes. I used to have visiting scholar status back in the early 90s and played a bunch of rounds at Stanford

This is a picture of the old original hole. Scott Weersing, fellow GCAer, is in the shot. (I used to crush him with regularity on the course, now I'm not even a threat.  :P)

"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

John Kirk

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2008, 09:29:04 PM »
I thought it was a curious decision to move the green closer to the hazard.  Right of the green is not only dead, it's gone.  There will be future disputes about where wayward tee shots enter the regular or lateral hazard.

Jeff, that is the second iteration of the fourth hole, the original heading straight up the hill toward the corner of Willow and Alpine.  Or is it Sand Hill and Junipero Serra?  Or is it Santa Cruz and Willow?

That tree in Jeff's picture, short and right of the green, was an absolute ball magnet.

The new green retains several similar contours to the previous green. Back right and the front are the low spots.

Ian_L

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2008, 09:50:12 PM »
Ian,

and those who know...

Why the change on these holes.

Jeff, thanks for the picture.  I'm relatively new to the course, so I'm not the best person to ask about this.  I do know some of it had to do with the expansion of Sand Hill Road to the right of 3 and 4.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2008, 10:59:46 PM »

It is great to see these new photos as well as the old photos of Stanford GC.

I remember meeting at 6 am to get our name on the list and then playing the course. The greens were the best I had ever played on.  I liked the old no. 4 as you drove it down the fairway and then hit an approach across the barranca.

Change is part of every course. No course stays the same as tree grow and fall. Road encroach.

I really don't like back to back par 3s except for Pacific Dunes.

Mike Benham

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2008, 02:07:09 AM »
Ian,

and those who know...

Why the change on these holes.

Jeff, thanks for the picture.  I'm relatively new to the course, so I'm not the best person to ask about this.  I do know some of it had to do with the expansion of Sand Hill Road to the right of 3 and 4.

To make the old 2 lane road, a 4 lane road with medium and double wide sidewalk ... in the second picture, all the road and sidewalk you see was formally the 4th fairway ...

Mike Benham

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2008, 02:13:09 AM »

a.) the corner of Willow and Alpine. 
b.) Or is it Sand Hill and Junipero Serra? 
c.) Or is it Santa Cruz and Willow?

None of the above ... Alpine and Sand Hill is correct although you might have gotten half credit (which is as good as an "A" at Stanford) if you said Alpine and Sand Hill ...

If you are scoring at home, Alpine takes you to Zots, Santa Cruz takes you to the Dutch Goose, Sand Hill takes you to either the Oasis or Old Pro.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back