News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Cenci

Kauai & Maui Golf early January...
« on: December 06, 2008, 08:30:14 PM »
On my honeymoon in a few weeks we've scheduled a round when in Kauai at Princeville (Prince course) and when on Maui playing Wailea (Gold course).  Are we missing something (obviously Kapalua Plantation is not an option because we'll be there less than a week before the tourney) that we should be trying to play somewhere else?

-Brian

mike_beene

Re: Kauai & Maui Golf early January...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 08:48:08 PM »
Wailea Gold is my other favorite with Plantation.Actually,after Prince it will be a good contrast because the dry side of Maui is less windy and you dont get the pop up soakings that you can get at Princeville or Kapalua.

TX Golf

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 09:27:54 PM »
Brian,

There was a fairly lengthy thread about golf in Maui a month or so ago. Maybe you can find it in a search. For Kauai Princeville, Kauai Lagoons, and Poipu Bay are all very enjoyable.

For Maui, Wailea Golf and Emerald are nice. I LOVE Makena North, and The Dunes and Maui Lani is great as well. I am not a huge fan of the other Kapalua courses, and don't waste your time with the Kaanapali courses.

TX Golf

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 10:05:20 PM »
I loved both the Prince Course and Kapalua Plantation
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Brian Cenci

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 01:41:59 PM »
Thanks....sounds like I've made two good choices

Michael Warren

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 01:09:11 AM »
Brian,

On Maui I suggest the Makena courses.  I think the south is closed right now for renovation, but the north course is a great course.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 09:50:48 AM »
Hi Brian,

I have played Wailea-Gold and it is very cool.  Kapalua-Plantation is head and shoulders above anything else on Maui, but it is pushing $300, and is about as far west as civilization goes on Maui.

As for Princeville, I played it probably 10-12 years ago, and I wasn't a fan.  There are about 1000 ways/places to lose a golf ball on that course, some of them without doing anything wrong or out of the ordinary.  You certainly feel like you are in the rainforest for much of it, but it has a few 430-yard, 90-degree dogleg par fours that require 5w-5w.  I liked Poipu quite a bit better, it has the cool stories from the Grand Slam, a few native hawaiian historical areas, and an amazingly beautiful stretch from 15-17 along the cliffs.  Also, the wind makes it interesting as well.

Kauai is interesting right now b/c Kauai Lagoons Kiele is close for a reno, but I'm not sure if I could even give the original a ringing endorsement either, as their "signature hole" was perhaps the worst on the course.  I have played the muni, Wailua, and that was fun in a rustic sort of way, and I have heard Pukea is a good take as an affordable public option (failed Japanese-funded course, now a nice local course for like $50).  There might be a couple others I'm forgetting (Princeville-Makai, Kiahuna), but those mentioned above are the relevant ones.

There is also a little 9-hole homemade course on Kauai called Kukuiolono that looks like a great place to spent a couple hours with the new wife slapping a ball around with one club.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Russell Lo

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 02:37:22 PM »
In Maui you'll be near the other Wailea courses and the Makena course. About 30 minutes away is the Dunes at Maui Lani, 40 minutes is the Kahili and King Kamehameha courses (towards Lahaina). Any one of these are fun tracks and you won't be wasting a day driving.

On Kauai, Princeville has a 27 hole layout called the Makai courses. I like the Ocean and Woods nines. they are right in Princeville and again, won't take up your time getting there. The Prince is fun if you play iwth someone that is familiar with the course, otherwise it can be frustrating, albeit beautiful. A bit down the road towards Lihue is the Wailua Municipal that has hosted a couple of US Publinx Championships. Great fun and a very good value. It should take you about 40 minutes from Princeville, but call ahead as the morning times are usually taken up by local club play. It usually opens up around Noon.

Stop in Kapaa on the way back for a nice meal and beverage. You'll get a nice feel for older Hawaii.

Go Michelle!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back