News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Rigg

You have two rounds of golf in Maui - Where do you play?
« on: October 20, 2008, 11:59:08 PM »
Homeys,

I am heading to Maui early next year and would appreciate thoughts on which courses to play - I can probably get two rounds in and I will be staying in Kihei. It looks like Makena South is closed for renos, so the options are probably:

1) Makena North
2) Wailea - Gold, Emerald or Old Blue
3) The Dunes
4) Kapalua - Plantation ($295!), Bay ($250) or Valley ($250) -  (a long haul from Kihei)

Mahalo  ;D

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: You have two rounds of golf in Maui - Where do you play?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 12:01:47 AM »
Play the Plantation course @ 2pm for $150.

TX Golf

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 12:02:24 AM »
AHHHH!!! I have been waiting for this thread as I am a Maui golf regular. Plantation is great but like you mentioned is by no means cheap. I say you have to go with Makena North and The Dunes. The Dunes is absolutely the greatest deal on the island, and Makena North is my favorite course. If you have any detailed questions send me an IM and I would be happy to go into detail regarding all the courses.

Robert

Ohhh... all of this is also fairly dependent on where you will be staying.

Sean Leary

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 12:04:29 AM »
Plantation and then take a ferry to Lanai to play Manele Bay. Otherwise, I like Wailea Gold next best.

TX Golf

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 12:07:47 AM »
I have to agree with Sean on the trip to Lanai if you have the time and the funds. It is also pretty expensive and is an entire day long adventure. I personally think all the Wailea courses are overrated, but the Gold course is the best of the three. Don't ever think about wasting your time on the Blue!!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 12:17:13 AM »
I would love to take the day trip to Lanai and knock of 18 at the Nicklaus and Norman courses but that will not be happening this year.

The only question mark on the Plantation is the drive and whether my wife will enjoy $295 (or even $150) worth of golfing there.

Based on some research I had done earlier today it seemed like Robert's suggestion was the best in terms of proximity to Kihei (Wailea) and bang for the buck.

Seems like a trip to Maui with the lads could be a ton of fun with the two Lanai courses, the Plantation, the Makenas, Wailea Gold and the Dunes.

Thanks for the feedback!

TX Golf

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 12:25:57 AM »
Rob,

Every year we take a family trip to Maui for a few weeks. Our family has a condo in Kihei, so I tend to play a lot of golf on the southern side of the island. We also get the local (Kamaaina) rate which makes all golf on the island a GREAT deal. With that being said and taking into account prices, experience, and location, I still feel your best bets are Makena North and The Dunes (both about 20 minutes). The Plantation most likely is the best course on the island, but you are talking an hour to get there in the morning, and if driving during midday you never know what kind of traffic you will get on the god damn piilani hwy. It can be hours, especially with recent construction going on. Just my opinion. I am interested to hear what other have to say.

And yes... and GCA get together on Maui would be a blast!!!

Raymond

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 06:47:19 PM »
If you're absolutely sure you will at some point get back to Maui to play golf, then not playing The Plantation course
under the circumstances is somewhat understandable. However, The Plantation course is a must if you love unique, fun, interesting, fascinating golf courses. I have played alot of golf courses and this is certainly in my fave five. Skipping the Plantation while in Maui would be akin to getting to the Oregon Coast and choosing to play Sandpines instead of driving another hour and playing Pacific Dunes.

If you have the opportunity play Kapalua.

Ray

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 09:01:42 PM »
Robert obviously has an opinion about Wailea Old Blue. None-the-less it remains as one of the best examples of graceful, flowing design from the 1960s-70s. Arthur Jack Snyder managed a series of very solid holes without moving much soil (a'a) and he did so with great restraint. Sure, the bunkers and greens are typical 1960s-70s, but — just think — in 20 years you will see people waxing about the "classic" value of such courses.  ;)
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

TX Golf

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Forrest,

I guess I might have been a bit harsh, but there is no way in hell the Blue Course is worth $130. It is an enjoyable course to play, but maybe for around $35-$45. Especially with only two courses to play, don't waste your time or money.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 11:51:35 PM »
It's only money.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 12:42:13 AM »
I've played Wailea-Blue at a very early stage of my golfing life and while I knew little architecturally, I did have interest in the art. Hoenstly, Jack Snyder's work here isn't anything appalling at all. Yes, a few holes running through Condo Canyon and tennis courts (from my memory) but those holes way in the back are pretty picturesque.

Of course I didn't care at all for the par 3, 18th, but the setting with the clubhouse and bar is pretty cool if your just hanging out after a round. I also got smashed in that bar on Mai-Tais.

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 01:02:21 AM »
I agree with Raymond about Plantation.  If you are going to visit Maui several times then you could hold off on Plantation.  But it is the best, most discussed, and highest rated course there,  and the only reason not to play would be if you can't afford it.  You shouldn't have any problem getting up early........ try to get out there in the morning. You won't regret it.  With only one other pick, I'd probably opt for Wailea Gold....   it's solid and very enjoyable.  The Makena courses are pretty good also.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 01:52:33 AM »
Rob,

Surely others here know more about golf on Maui then I, but I immensely enjoyed Kapalua.  I would say it is certainly worth the money. 

As a side note, I didn't mind the Bay course either.  I missed Makena, but have heard good things.  Avoid Kaanapali if you can help it. 

Most of all, enjoy the island, the scenery, and if you snorkel of scuba there is a beach a few miles down the road from Kapalua that is superb.  You walk a mile or so through rainforest before you enter, and it is a special little beach, often with no people there.  The locals can help you out with more exact details.  Enjoy your time there, Maui is one of my favorite places on earth.

Cheers,
Jordan

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 08:50:25 AM »
Jordan:  We found that cove as well and it was one of the highlights of our trip.  You see the cars parked on the side of the road in a bad spot because of the curve but the reason is the cove below where there are no waves and millions of beautiful fish.  I will always remember that day and I will also forever remember Kapalua Plantation.  Yes, the course is well done but who could ever forget the views, and it is not just one hole - there are many holes with great views.  Oh how I would love to go back.

Dave Bourgeois

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 09:13:55 AM »
2nd or 3rd the Dunes.  Its a blast and certainly a great value.  Like all the courses on the island the wind makes it extremely challenging.  I played it the day before my wedding in 2001.

Scott Sander

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 09:31:57 AM »
I enjoyed the Dunes very much.  Since it's in the valley instead of the shore it very much feels like you are somehow in on a secret.

That said, Maui is not an everyday/year/decade trip for most of us, and if I had to do it again, I'd definitely play Kapalua Plantation.

My reasoning may seem horrifically superficial to most here, but here it is:  It's a course you see on TV every year.  Don't get me wrong, I have no interest in the course "star" quality, but I am fascinated by several of the shots as they appear during the tournament. 
It's one of the few courses with elevation changes that translate well on television, so I'd like to walk them in person to see how what we see on a small screen translates to real life stances.

I want to drop a ball at 250 out and try to hit the swinging hook into 18, so I can feel what really makes it difficult.

Can't do that without going.

Whatever you do, have fun.

Brian Potash

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 11:53:20 AM »
I would definitely play the Plantation and perhaps Wailea Emerald as well.  One of the magazines lists this as a top course for women so if you show her that it could earn you some points.

Bob Harris

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 12:03:36 PM »
Homeys,

I am heading to Maui early next year and would appreciate thoughts on which courses to play - I can probably get two rounds in and I will be staying in Kihei. It looks like Makena South is closed for renos, so the options are probably:

1) Makena North
2) Wailea - Gold, Emerald or Old Blue
3) The Dunes
4) Kapalua - Plantation ($295!), Bay ($250) or Valley ($250) -  (a long haul from Kihei)

Mahalo  ;D

I was there 2 years ago and played the Plantation and the others on your list, except the Bay and Valley.  I have to agree with the others, if you're there, you have to play the Plantation.

The tee shot on 18 itself may be worth it.  How many chances does anyone have to hit a drive 350 to 400 yards?

Tom Yost

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 12:33:07 PM »
I visited Maui in April of this year and had the chance to play one round of golf.  Because it was unlikely that I would have the opportunity again anytime in the foreseeable future, I chose the Plantation.

Beyond the chance to play a top 100 course, my thought process was as follows:  most all the other courses were at least $200, what's another $95 ??   ;D

It was a wild, wacky and entirely FUN round of golf, with totally distracting views of the ocean and island of Molokai.   

My short review with photos can be found here:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34251.0.html

Enjoy!

Richard Choi

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 02:56:48 PM »
I will be in Maui in April/May. We try to go there every other year.

I have played both Makena courses, all Wailea courses, and Dunes and they are all fine, though they are certainly over-priced like many other things in Hawaii.

I will be staying at Kapalua this time and am looking forward to playing the Plantation. Is there any other course in the North worth playing?

TX Golf

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 03:17:13 PM »
Richard,

Your only options on the north west end of the island are the Kapalua and Kaanapali. I personally believe that all three of the Kapalua courses are better than any of the Kaanapali courses.

Russell Lo

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 06:04:07 PM »
If you drive out early to Kapalua you should beat the traffic. Play Royal Kaanapali in the afternoon. Trying to play west and east is too much travel time.

Royal Kaanapali redid their greens and with the pm trades, it is quite a test. Lots of fun and only 15 minutes from Kapalua. After the round you can leisurely enjoy your drive back to Kihei.

Depending on your ability, Makena North and Wailea emerald for the higher handicapper if staying on the South side. Another option is to drive 25 minutes to Dunes in the am then play Wailea Blue or Gold in the afternoon. gold is pretty tough in the pm trades, however. Blue is nothing special but is a fun round for a 2nd 18 of the day.

Catching the ferry to Lanai is an all day deal which may allow you to play 36 on Lanai, but not 18 on Maui then 18 on Lanai.

Richard Choi

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 08:28:23 PM »
Just played a round at Kapalua Plantation and it was fantastic.

Reminds me a lot of Bandon Trails, except that Plantation has much more severe elevation changes.

Because of the elevation changes, this could easily have been a goofy, quirky course, but C&C did a really great job moderating the effect by using wide fairways and wide run-up approaches to every green. Really a great course.

The drive on the 18th seems to hang in the air forever. That shot alone was worth the price of admission.

Playing Keole and Menele on Thu. Looking forward to it.

P.S. Skip the Bay course at Kapalua. They are redoing a bunch of greens and about half the holes, especially the ones that jut out to the ocean, have temp greens. That was too bad...

Dale Jackson

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 08:39:56 PM »
Clearly someone with two rounds to play would not be directed to the Village course at Kapalua, which is good because it is now a Par 3 "walking" course.  Not sure what will happen with all the rest of the course.  I enjoyed playing there in the past but it did pale in comparison to the other two courses at Kapalua.

And to add my - now unoriginal - 2 cents, I would play the Plantation as one of the two rounds, even with the drive.  It is one of the most fun and architecturally interesting courses anywhere.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back