News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Holland

Congratulations Kris Spence
« on: December 06, 2008, 04:42:21 PM »
Kris Spence's restoration of Sedgefield CC in Greensboro made the Golf Digest best renovations list.  Kris did a great job at SCC, and I think the tour pros loved it when they were here for the Wyndham.

In addition, Pete Dye and Tim Liddy's renovation at the Cardinal here in town also made the list.  Kris did the construction work on that project as well.

Congratulations Kris, and keep up the great work.

TEPaul

Re: Congratulations Kris Spence
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 07:15:25 PM »
I don't know Sedgefield CC but I met Kris Spence during a couple of days visit to Fishers Island a couple of years ago. Very nice guy and most interesting to talk to on architecture and restoration. I'm glad to hear he's done another successful one. He's certainly making a good name for himself as one of the premier restoration project guys.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 07:36:51 PM »
I haven't seen Sedgefield, but he could well have been honored for his work at Cape Fear.  It is spectacular.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Ed Oden

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 10:11:14 PM »
It is good to see Kris getting some well deserved recognition.  In my opinion, his work just keeps getting better and better.  For those who have seen and praised Kris' efforts at Mimosa Hills, Cape Fear and Sedgefield, among others, I am confident you would find even more to like in his recent restoration at Carolina GC.  Simply outstanding.  It is just a matter of time until Kris gets a crack at a high profile course and solidifies his position among the best in the restoration field.

Ed 

Kris Spence

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 09:28:34 AM »
Gentlemen, thank you for your kind comments I appreciate it.  The Sedgefield CC project was a unique experience that greatly expanded my belief and understanding of just how special Ross' architectural skills were.  There is so much to be learned about golf architecture from Sedgefield, it is a testiment of how the game is meant to be played and enjoyed.  I hope to do a course review sometime this spring on GCA.

The Cardinal project was completed just prior to Sedgefield and it was a ton of fun working with Pete and Tim.   I really enjoyed participating only on the construction side at the Cardinal, it was a breath of fresh air and to boot I got to hang out and hear Pete Dye stories for a year.  Philisophically the two courses are on opposite spectrums.  Ross at Sedgefield gives the player a full range of options and tons of variety on most every shot and at the Cardinal, Pete forces you to play his way or else. 

Both are great courses and the golf scene has greatly improved in the city of Greensboro because of these two projects.  I would recommend both to anyone passing through this area.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back