News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Does It Say Something About This Site...
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 05:30:29 PM »
John, looking forward to teeing it up with you Saturday.  I'm just having fun here and hardly worried.

I do believe we can be consumed here with the next big thing far afield when there are real gems right in our back yards (or at least within up and back in a day distance), and I'm as guilty as the next. 

Consumerism is the culprit.

Bogey

At times we are all guilty of not living in the moment.  You are right though, sexy bunkers will draw them in every time.  At least to some degree, the members of this board are no different from the rest of the golfing population.  Oh, and Tom D is also a big factor whether the venue in question is private or public.  For what its worth (nothing), I like looking at Ross courses so keep pointing and shooting.

Ciao

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike_Young

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 06:03:24 PM »
Bogey,
Will see you this weekend.....
At the risk of ODG popsicle boys( yes charlie and I now have a line of popscles for the ODG admirers..).....I would assume that most of us in the business presently are just glad to be working...and having played several of RP reworks, I enjoy them.....and enjoy what I have played of TD....but IMHO the architects have nothing to do with why these types of thread would differ in size....
I think people are more apt to discuss original art.....
Tell me who repairs the painting on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?  Who repairs the Mona Lisa? Human nature is just to not talk about that stuff as much as the original works.....
I think the same goes for golf.... ;D ;D ;D ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

john_stiles

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 06:11:51 PM »

Any YAGs coming to Holston  so we can discuss art ;D

Mike_Young

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 06:30:44 PM »

Any YAGs coming to Holston  so we can discuss art ;D

John,
I will call tomorrow.....dinner downtown friday nite.....and we can discuss art with Bogey.....he really knows that stuff.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 06:44:52 PM »
Where and when a round of pipicaca ping pong breaks out has nothing to do with the architect.  The OM thread would have been better with one third the replies.

what is pipicaca ping pong?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 06:49:10 PM »
Kalen,

Which Bell? Elder or Younger?

Ummm, not sure, I'll defer to mike.  The info I found just said William and Bill....

First nine by Willie Tucker in '27

Second nine by Father/Son Bell's in the 50s

Excellent use of native terrain, but it doesn't have shaggy, naturally rugged bunkers so I doubt that it will get much buzz here.  ;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 06:51:36 PM »
Plus, I don't know how that course is some type of Macdonald/Raynor tribute....it seems like that Doak guy can't even draw a straight geometric line!   ;) ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 10:14:56 AM »
" I hope I don't offend too many purists when I say that the course today is certainly better than what Ross built originally."

Mike:

If those Ross purists have done their homework it probably shouldn't offend them as it looks in all likelihood that J.B. MacGovern built Jeffersonville. It was well known for it's multi-set bunkering which was also done originally at Aronimink, a club at which MacGovern was a prominent member, green committee member and obviously Ross's regional foreman as well. Furthermore, the golf club geographically closest to Aronimink is MacGovern's only solo product.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2008, 10:22:29 AM »
Where and when a round of pipicaca ping pong breaks out has nothing to do with the architect.  The OM thread would have been better with one third the replies.

Pipicaca ping pong is when one poster makes a pithy piece of shit post and his gay bud responds in same.  It usually goes back and forth over a course of a thread until the original meaning and intent is lost.  Pipicaca is an obscure name for poop.

On the OM thread a classic game broke out when Huck made a bad joke, Kalen didn't get it, Grey jumped in with an explanation, Huck then congratulates Grey on his help and continuation and then Kalen comments on needing to get that movie and it goes on and on. 

Eric Franzen

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2008, 10:32:04 AM »

Pipicaca ping pong is when one poster makes a pithy piece of shit post and his gay bud responds in same.  It usually goes back and forth over a course of a thread until the original meaning and intent is lost.  Pipicaca is an obscure name for poop.

On the OM thread a classic game broke out when Huck made a bad joke, Kalen didn't get it, Grey jumped in with an explanation, Huck then congratulates Grey on his help and continuation and then Kalen comments on needing to get that movie and it goes on and on. 

So this particular side discussion about pipicaca ping pong is in fact a prime example of pipicaca ping pong itself?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2008, 10:33:55 AM »
This is a prime example of a pipicaca ping pong thread.  Hendren stood at the table with ball in hand begging for a game.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2008, 10:38:17 AM »
Mike

As measured by interest on this board, Donald Ross courses in the South generate interest ranging from mild to none at all.

The advice here says if you've got pictures of a Ross in the South, expect as few as 0 replies or don't bother.

Remember though you are posting for the youth of today's generation, the critics of the next, and the schoolmasters of ever afterwards.

Mais Non, Monsieur!

Any time the world Se****le is mentioned, Pat Mucci is all over that thread like a pig in slop and/or a confused chameleon (insert rainbow of colo(u)rs here).  However, in general Ross gets virtually no respect on this site nor do courses without recognizeable names, regardless of how good the pictures look or how fulsome tyhe kudos respected posters on this site throw their way.  I call it the Conviction Conundrum.  Ah that we too were cursed with psassionate intensity....

ForkaB, Comte de Parodi

Anthony Gray

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2008, 10:52:34 AM »

So this particular side discussion about pipicaca ping pong is in fact a prime example of pipicaca ping pong itself?

I live for the ping pong. As a matter of fact if Huck or John K ever left this site I would be less addicted and I could resume a normal life. I would love to see a ping pong match between Huck and John K. Then afterwords bowling. Then after that a arm wrestling competition.

In the depths of pipicaca ping pong is THE SPIRIT OF THE GAME.

Anthony

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2008, 11:04:40 AM »
M Le Compte

Here is your mistake: Florida is not in the South, just as South Florida is not really in the U.S. (Not only Miami but Palm Beach, too, for different reasons.)

If Le Compte persists, may he reflect upon Palma Ceia CC, a Ross in the same state which gets zero temps de l'aire. Seminole is the exception that proves the rule.

Now go away or I will taunt you a second time.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2008, 11:52:30 AM »
Michael,

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Sometimes folks just miss the post or actually don't have anything more to say then "great thread".

Same thing happened to me recently when I had a thread for the Challenge short executive course at Monarch Dunes.

I think there were maybe 2-3 replies max.

As for me, I completely missed the Idle Hour thread all together.  But I'm glad you reminded us of it, because now it's a bookmark  ;D

That is indeed a very nice restoration.

I'm curious to know if by chance the original course was built around the same time as Seminole.  I ask because the restored bunkers appear very similar or at least reminded me of the ones restored by Brian Silva at Seminole.

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back