News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Ballyneal on CNBC Tonight
« on: November 24, 2008, 06:00:32 PM »
I heard that there's likely going to be a segment on Ballyneal on CNBC's 'On the Money', tonight (Mon Nov 24) from 9-10 pm.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 07:05:21 PM by Jim Colton »

Kalen Braley

Re: Ballyneal on CNBC Tonight
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 06:24:19 PM »
I heard that there's likely going to be a segment on Ballyneal on CNBC's 'On the Money', tonight (Mon Sep 24) from 9-10 pm.

Jim,

We're in November, unless thats what you meant.

Sincerely,

Father Time.

John Kirk

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 06:36:46 PM »
What do you mean?

Now that Jim has experienced Ballyneal, every day is Monday, Sepetmber 24th.

Jim Colton

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 07:06:11 PM »
Wishful thinking.  I heard it was 80 degrees last week in Holyoke, where November can certainly seem like September.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 08:51:19 PM »

John K,

Love your John Lennon quote. Also love Ballyneal so I will head off to the TV shortly.

Bob J

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 09:05:54 PM »
i just watched the lead-in and it they didn't mention Ballyneal or golf at all, did I miss something?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 10:48:54 PM by Chip Gaskins »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 10:16:44 PM »
In Jim's defense, he did say the piece was "likely" to be on. Considering the content of tonight's show it's easily understandable why they may have shelved it, temporarily.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kirk

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 10:44:03 PM »
Well, the word went out this morning it would probably air today.

Thanks, Bob Jenkins.  That's "And Your Bird Can Sing", which John apparently disliked, feeling it was a throwaway song, but the lyrics have simple double entendres, and the other three Beatles' instrumental performances are outstanding, especially Paul and George.  I think I'll listen to it right now!

Tim Bert

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 10:49:46 PM »
What do you mean?

Now that Jim has experienced Ballyneal, every day is Monday, Sepetmber 24th.

I read this at least ten times trying to figure out how it was in some way a play on Lennon lyrics.  No connection.  None.

On the 11th try, I actually looked at the supporting cast of your post...  It wasn't like you disguised it!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 10:47:15 AM »
Well, the word went out this morning it would probably air today.

Thanks, Bob Jenkins.  That's "And Your Bird Can Sing", which John apparently disliked, feeling it was a throwaway song, but the lyrics have simple double entendres, and the other three Beatles' instrumental performances are outstanding, especially Paul and George.  I think I'll listen to it right now!

John,

I'm listening to it right now. It's always been one of my favorite Beatles songs. I don't always agree with Lennon's assessment of his own (or others') work.

George Harrison's harmony guitar lead is sublime...and I have a soft spot for the song because it was the closing-credits number played every week on the Beatles cartoon show...wonder who owns the rights to those?
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 12:10:09 PM »
Now likely to be shown today (Tuesday) on CNBC around 1:50 EST on Power Lunch.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 01:51:07 PM »
on next
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 01:59:42 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.  It is hard to understand how or why CNBC would or could pay a reporter and his entourage for such a story. 

J_ Crisham

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 02:00:51 PM »
Just watched it -brings back fond memories of my visit here in June. What is the number of members he hopes to max out at? How much space does he have for additional courses?                  Jack

Adam Clayman

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 02:16:37 PM »
Jack, The piece said the club could handle 200 members. I assume that's with the current infrastructure for dining and slumber. As I recall the original number was 150. But don't count on me for that.

The space for future courses is rather limitless within the approx 20 mi sq of chop hills. The last person who spoke, who was playing golf, and was not identified, was the owner of all that land to the west and north of #3, #4 and #5 holes.

Josh Smith

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 02:36:03 PM »
Is there any link online that can get us to the segment?

Jim Colton

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 03:06:41 PM »
The segment was titled "Mike on America", and his past segments can be found at the link below.  I'm sure the Ballyneal segment will be added to this page in the near future.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/17736743/

Eric Smith

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 03:45:20 PM »

David Stamm

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 04:20:57 PM »
   That's "And Your Bird Can Sing", which John apparently disliked, feeling it was a throwaway song,  

John, Lennon felt this way about most of the early songs that he sung later in career. He claimed he didn't like the way his voice sounded during the early days (and in general for that matter) of the fab four and felt that it was too immature and bubble gum. He tended to slam that time period in his creative development for various reasons but it was not by chance because it was before he met Ono. I happen to like "And Your Bird Can Sing" quite a bit and felt it was one of the best songs on Revolver. As a side note, the track actually has Harrison and McCartney playing the lead guitar work with Lennon doing his usual rhythm support and then McCartney went back filled in the bass.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Phil Benedict

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 04:56:21 PM »
Have you guys heard the version of the song on the Beatles Anthology when they start giggling uncontrollably, no doubt due to some form of chemical stimulation?  It's pretty humorous.

David Stamm

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 11:19:44 PM »
Have you guys heard the version of the song on the Beatles Anthology when they start giggling uncontrollably, no doubt due to some form of chemical stimulation?  It's pretty humorous.

I don't recall it off the top of my head, Phil, but I have no doubt that that was the case. This was when the "experimentation" was in full swing. Then again, at that time, they were still very close and quite funny together. 
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

John Kirk

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 01:07:33 AM »
I thought they were giggling because the song sounded so silly.  But the Beatles began using marijuana before the song in question was recorded.  Help! was apparently filmed in a smoke filled haze.

Back to Ballyneal.  I liked the segment and it's great publicity for our club.  It's a great place and deserves the recognition.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 08:25:39 AM »
Back to Ballyneal.  I liked the segment and it's great publicity for our club.  It's a great place and deserves the recognition.

It's a great course and an unforgettable experience.   A nice part of the story is also tremendous opportunity for local kids in an area that is pretty remote.  One day this summer, my caddie was a kid that lived around 40 miles away and carpooled with others from his area to work at Ballyneal.  This fall he started his first year at the University of Colorado as an Evans Scholar. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back