News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Forestdale GC, Salt Lake City....The original Salt Lake CC!!
« on: November 20, 2008, 10:17:17 PM »
I recently played Forestdale golf course in Salt Lake City, UT.  As a quaint par 36 9 holer, this is a super fun course that is a bargain to play at $12.  Originally opened in 1906 on ~61 acres, its the oldest course in Utah and was originally founded as the Salt Lake Country Club. In the 1920s, it outgrew its digs and relocated a few miles to the east for a bigger piece of land where they constructed the current 18 hole SLCC. The city eventually bought the original course in 1935 and have thankfully kept it open ever since, even though it was allegedly to be sold on a number of occasions.

While the original designer isn't know to me yet, it has gone thru a few "renovations" and Utah golf HOF native Mick Riley is attributed to having done at least one of these. While some containment mounding and a large pond was added, it still retains its original raised greens, flash faced bunkers, and unconventional 3 Par 3s, 3 par 4s, and 3 par 5s routing.

Housing has indeed sprung up around the course, but its retained much of its old time charm due to its aforementioned greens and bunkering to go along with its numerous old mature trees that come into play on more than a few holes.  Additionally a few meandering, mostly dry, creeks have been built into the property on at least a few holes and have been strategically located in desired landing areas.  (Thier main purpose serves as flood control relief due to SLC's precipitous location to the Wascatch Mountain Range).

Overall the course is a blast to play as its short length is offset by its teeny greens of which a few are severly contoured.  With its super cheap green fees, and updated yet original clubhouse its a cool place to spend a couple of hours should you find yourself in the Salt Lake City area with only not much time to spare.

Enjoy.

#1 - Par 4 - A short par 4 opener with OB lurking.

The approach shot into a small green pinched between 2 bunkers.

A closer look from just short of the green.

#2 - Par 5 A shortish par 5 that is WELL protected at the green.  The tee shot!

The approach in after an abysmal 2nd shot!!!

A well protected green with a large bunker right and OB left and long.  Mucho caution is necessary if thinking about going home in 2 on this one.

#3 - Par 3 - A shortish par 3 that actually looks a lot better than how this photo turned out.  :(

#4 - Par 4 - Dogleg right hole with a fairly benign looking tee shot requirement....

...but hidden trouble lurks for ill-struck tee shots.

The approach into a green that is gently placed on the slope running away from you.

#5 - Par 5 - A very short par 5, would play as a 4 to most.  Very wide tee shot, but with a hidden creek also lurking beyond the crest.

The 2nd shot also crosses over another creek to a fairly accessible green.

A closer look at the grass bunker ready to snare less than desireable shots.

This green is the most severe on the course.  When its fast and running in the summer, that pin location can be an absolute beast.

#6 - Par 3 - A long par 3 down the hill to a tiny target.  A GIR is a good shot here.

A closer look at the nicely formed green.

An old bridge once used to cross the creek after teeing off on 7.

#7 - Par 5 - Another reachable par 5 where the creek must be negotiated yet again.  And yes those 3 pine trees need to go....very out of character with the place.

A look in from the fairway after choosing not to challenge the creek this time.

A closer look in on the approach.  The hazard right must be flirted with if going home in 2. I'm not a big fan of ponds, but this one looked fairly natural as built ponds go.

A look at the green from the left after staying clear of the hazard on the 2nd shot.

Looking back during magic hour with the sun setting.

#8 Par 3 - A devilishly short par 3 surrounded by water on 3 sides and a raised green.

A look from the side near the 9th tee.

#9 - Par 4 - A long brusier par 4 finish that plays 449 yards.  The big tree must be dealt with on the tee shot.

The approach in from the right hand side.

A look back at the fairway showing the micro-undulations in the setting sun.

The greensite.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:19:50 PM by Kalen Braley »

Andy Troeger

Re: Forestdale GC, Salt Lake City....The original Salt Lake CC!!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 10:47:50 PM »
This was the place we thought about playing the first night I was in town correct? I of course chose food instead  ::)

Not that we lacked for golf the rest of the time...perhaps next visit.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:52:35 PM »
Well you saw it now.  ::)

Certainly not a must see course if in the area, but a fun little 9 holer IMO if you only got a couple of hours to burn.

Tom Yost

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 10:54:09 PM »
Interesting greenside bunker style.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 10:59:16 PM »
As most of the greens have a bunker that is located front and right, I guess the original designer really had it out for folks who like to play a draw.   ;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 08:05:44 AM »
Bravo Kalen!

More to come...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 09:31:23 AM »
Bravo Kalen!

More to come...

Hey an architectual wonder it is not, but someones got stand-up for the inexpensive 9 holers out there right?

Supposedly one of those potential buyers was to be the LDS church back in the 80's.  They wanted to raze it and put in a small college.

D_Malley

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 11:14:19 AM »
has a cobbs creek kinda look to it

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 01:30:39 PM »
As I relayed privately to Kalen, I had the opportunity to play Forest Dale about 10 years ago during a business trip to SLC.

I arrived exhausted after a long flight, figured that I had about 3 hours before sundown, so I hailed a cab from the airport with my clubs and luggage to the address I had scribbled down beforehand.

Something evidently got lost in communications because he pulled over and said "it's right down there", only to then find shortly after he pulled away that I was about 15 blocks from the course.    I hoofed it, carrying my stuff, along highways in Utah.    I even stopped in a convenience store for clearer directions.

I finally arrived, and they immediately paired me up with a threesome and without as much as a practice swing, we were off.   

I don't recall getting a ball airborne the first two holes, and all I really remember (except for the neat little greens with the pushup bunkers, a solid routing, and a few unfortunate "modern touches"  is that it kicked my ass up and down on every level.

As far as history...

Given SLC's religious heritage, I thought it was perhaps fitting when I came across information that stated that "The Country Club" in Salt Lake City was organized September 13, 1899, with a course of eighteen holes laid out by the Reverend Ellis Bishop.

I don't know the expansion of the city limits over time but the course in question (very likely some early, primitive verson of Forest Dale) was 2 miles from SLC and accessible by cars of Rapid Transit Street Railway Company.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 03:41:19 PM by MikeCirba »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 10:13:53 PM »
I also remember the strange look on the people in the pro shop when I asked them if they could store my luggage somewhere, and then as I finished the 9th hole in near darkness, I do recall their stranger looks when I asked if they would call me a cab to the Red Lion Hotel.

Apparently, Forest Dale isn't much of a tourist destination.  ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 10:19:44 PM »
Ha ha ha Mike, thanks for the stories.

I'll agree at $12 buck a go, you don't exactly get the snazzy wine and cheese golfers down there....or service for those types either.

But Utahn's are certainly wary of outsiders, and rightly so especially when they come from Philly!!  ;D

I'm thinking as most of the 5s, 4s, and 3s are shortish, it'd be a great match play course with some buddies after work or something.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 10:37:19 PM »
Kalen,

No wine and cheese, but damn...I sure enjoyed those Wasatch Mountain Ales while in town...especially since the state alcohol laws make you feel like you're getting away with something, ala Prohibition, when you finally can procure some adult beverages.  ;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 10:41:27 PM »
Truth be told, I always had an absolute blast in Utah.

Don't ask me about the night I went to see Iggy Pop at a place called Club DV8 and ended up slam-dancing.   ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 11:04:27 AM »
Cirba?  Slam-Dancing?  In Salt Lake City?  Nahhhhh   ::)  ::)

I must admit, this area does have some cool stuff going for it other than its cheap quality golf.  The outdoor activities are also outstanding with mtn biking, hiking, skiing, camping, 4 wheeling, mountain lakes, etc, etc.

Now if they'd just loosen the damn liquor laws so I could get a decent drink when I go out.  ;D

P.S.  oh yeah, consider this me asking about that night...did it involve meeting one of SLC finest?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 11:10:33 AM by Kalen Braley »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 03:28:33 PM »
Kalen,

A co-worker and I were looking for a place for dinner and came across this weird little hole-in-the-wall place with a strange baby picture holding a sign that said "Club DV8".

Better yet, a hand-scrawled sign in the window said that Iggy Pop was playing "tonite".   

Now, being a bit crazy, and a bit of a student of sociology, there was no way in hades that I was going to miss out on the juxtaposition of this;

about two blocks from this;

If memory serves we found an Indian restaurant and many more of the aforementioned Wasatch Mountain Ales, and made our way back to the club.

For quite some time there were just a handful of odd, strangely radical and pious youth milling about, until just about the time we were thinking of leaving, when people started passing in through the door in droves....probably 150 in all in this little tight, dank, smelly place.

Much of the night was a blur, although I remember the crowd was about 80% male, with some really, really unattractive females.

Which, of course, led to enough frustration for all concerned that much slam-dancing ensued.

We did find the hotel somehow, and made it up for the national conference the next morning where I had to give two large presentations on Physician Order Entry in hospital systems, and another on something known as Outpatient Unit Billing.

I have no idea what I said..but nobody truly seemed to mind much.

Fun place that Salt Lake City. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 03:35:32 PM »
Mike,

You nailed it perfectly...everything in SLC seems to happen in the extremes.  With the conservative ever-present Mormon theme going on downtown, the anti-conformity crowd really loves to swing the pendulum far in the other direction to balance it all out.  ;D

Sounds like you guys eventually had a sweet time, even if it was a giant sausage-fest.  I don't mind mixing it up either, but have a hard time getting the wife to go to places like this.  Odd you didn't see many hotties as there are plenty running around here, but perhaps the Iggy Pop thing going on kept em home.

When you make your way back to Salt Lake we really need to meet up and see what kind of mischief we can find as my wife tends to frown on me going down there on a Friday night to find it on my own.  ;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 03:39:18 PM »
Kalen,

Please tell the lovely Mrs. Braley for me that a born-and-raised Baptist from that Quaker city of Brotherly Love in Philadelphia is coming out there in the interest of sharing some spiritual goodwill in the most decadent dens of sinful ill repute the blessed city of Salt Lake can find.   

Of course, I'm referring to the golf courses.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 03:53:47 PM »
Well I've convinced her to go to the ColdPlay concert tonight, so I guess thats a start.  :)

Although, I couldn't get her to go see NIN when they came to town a couple of months ago.  There would have been plenty of mosh-pitting at that one. 

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 04:10:11 PM »
Well I've convinced her to go to the ColdPlay concert tonight, so I guess thats a start.  :)

Although, I couldn't get her to go see NIN when they came to town a couple of months ago.  There would have been plenty of mosh-pitting at that one. 

Kalen,

Coldplay is absolutely terrific in concert...I had seen them a few years ago, but we went during their last tour and they put on a stunning show.   One of the best I've seen.

Enjoy!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 04:12:30 PM »
Yeah, can't wait...live 2 nite at Energy Solutions arena...the former Delta Center  :)

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 09:47:11 PM »
Kalen:

Wonderful post. There can never be enough written about 9-hole courses Thanks for the addition.

Mike:

IGGY POP TONIGHT? What year was that? How cool.

Tony

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 09:52:11 PM »
Mike:

IGGY POP TONIGHT? What year was that? How cool.

Tony

Hey Tony,

As memory fades, it was likely around 1990-92

It was very cool...there are nothing quite like Mormon punks.

To coin a phrase, they are definitely on a mission!  ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 11:53:38 PM »
Mike,

Too funny...those years are when I was on my Mormon mission in the Brisbane, Australia area.  Fraid I've fallen off the wagon since then though.  ;D

Tony,

Its a cool little 9 holer and I always love getting out there often.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back