News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Tritabaugh

Tree Removal Photo-Northland CC
« on: November 20, 2008, 08:43:15 PM »
This fall we have set out on a nice tree removal program. My reason for posting the photos are two fold. One I wanted to show off what we have done because I feel it is stunning. Two, I would like to know from this GCA savvy crowd if you know of other courses with a "skyline" green like this in which once you reach the green you see a portion of the golf course laid out below?

Enjoy the pics, of course comments are welcomed.

From the tee before the removal.

From the tee after the removal.

The approach before removal.

The approach after removal.

The view off the back of the green.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 08:08:54 PM by Chris Tritabaugh »

Matt_Cohn

Re: Tree Removal Photo-Northland CC
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 08:53:37 PM »
They only removed the leaves, not the trunks? How much work did that take? Incredible!   ;D

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:42:22 PM »
Wow that looks great Chris. Obviously the first picture is a little deceiving because it doesn't show the lake but the removal looks great to me. Anything to show off the beauty and grand scale of Lake Superior I think is an improvement.

Were there any other changes or tree removals?

Can't wait to come up from the cities and play it again next summer.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Chris Tritabaugh

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 11:34:41 AM »
Patrick,
Here is some more work. Most of the shots are taken from the same location but a couple are off a little bit.

View from the 4th tee looking back at the 3rd green, before obviously.

After

Looking towards the Lake from right of the 14th tee box.

Same shot but standing on the tee. Before removal this shot would have been looking at the wall of pine in the above photo.

The approach shot to the 13th used to look like this.

Now it looks like this!

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 12:42:02 PM »
That's great stuff Chris. Looking forward to seeing them in person sometime next summer. Certainly something to look forward to during the winter!

Keep up the good work.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

Bruce Leland

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 08:27:16 AM »
Chris:  Great work!  I think that restoring some of the views of the lake will add greatly to the Northland experience. 

While I can't recall ever being long on 15, the issue of depth perception comes more into play without the backdrop of the pines.  Granted, it's still a short approach shot but the visual scale of the shot has changed dramatically. 

I was a big fan of the first clearing of trees from the hill between 13 green and 14 tee.  The recent work should open up the view of the lake from the 5th green as well, right?

Keep up the good work.

Bruce L
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Chris Tritabaugh

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 12:11:56 PM »
Bruce,
One of our members commented to me last week that the approach to 15 now seems as it could be somewhat fearful. That certainly was not the case with the trees. I also cannot really think of many people being long of 15. Visually the shot is far my deceptive then it was with the trees behind.

The removals behind 13 and next to 14 tee do help the view from 5 as well.

Brad Klein

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 08:54:42 PM »
Chris, you're a genius! Now you have integrated into the holes that body of water behind the course -- er, what's its name?

Bruce Leland

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 07:40:56 AM »
Chris, you're a genius! Now you have integrated into the holes that body of water behind the course -- er, what's its name?
Brad, some call it Gitchi Gumi....
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 12:22:19 PM »
Nice work Chris. I didn't get up to Northland this summer, but it is one of my favorite courses in Minnesota.

Being able to see more of that little pond down the hill from the club is cool.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 12:41:26 PM »
The changes look great.  Congratulations on getting them done.  I love the way the views of the course open up behind the "skyline" green. 

Had hoped to make it up there last year and it didn't work out.  Now I'm more inspired to try to do so.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 11:57:09 PM »
Sounds like we need a mini-GCA get together next summer @ Northland! Nothing big, maybe a foursome or two for a round and lunch/dinner after.

Who's in?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 12:20:09 AM »
Chris, can you tell us about the process of deciding to remove those trees, or would that create some tension among members, committee, etc. 

However you arrived at the decision, I would hope all members and familiar players would give credit to the excellent decsion to axe the trees.  Great stuff...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bruce Leland

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 07:27:22 AM »
Sounds like we need a mini-GCA get together next summer @ Northland! Nothing big, maybe a foursome or two for a round and lunch/dinner after.

Who's in?
I'll make the drive to play Northland any day between April 15th and October 15th  ;D.  For those who haven't had the pleasure, it's worth the trip.  Great routing, a great walk and fantastic Ross greens.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 10:58:55 AM »
Great work, Chris. Your vision for what Northland can and should be is deeply appreciated.

Now, do you supposed you can work your magic on those trees along Superior Street that block the view of the lake from the clubhouse? As for liability issues, I've never seen an approach shot into 18 go so far left that it would have hit a car on the fly.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Dan Kelly

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 11:03:30 AM »

Who's in?

I'm in.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

tlavin

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 11:05:39 AM »
It really is stunning to see the beauty that can be created by a chainsaw.

Chris Tritabaugh

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 02:23:30 PM »
Chris, can you tell us about the process of deciding to remove those trees, or would that create some tension among members, committee, etc. 

I am going to remain purposely vague, which I think is best as an employee of the Club.

We have passionate individuals on our Green Committee and in the Club leadership who share a vision of what Northland can be. They have fearlessly championed the cause and their efforts have allowed the work to take place. Making these sort of improvements is always going to carry controversy. Most will see the improvement and love it and some will see only the change and not love it. Ultimately I think most eventually find the improvement and come to realize the positive.

It would be great to have a group of GCAers up to see Northland. I would love to meet some of you in person as well. The Club really does deserve to be considered among the very best. Of course I am biased but I think most of you would agree once you saw the place. Duluth is a tough location for exposure. Its not really a destination for those outside of MN and although we are just 2 and half hours from the Twin Cities we are not really on the way to anywhere so we don't get a lot of passing through traffic.     

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back