News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Burroughs

Photos of World Woods (Rolling Oaks) from Dixie Cup '08
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:45:38 AM »
For the Saturday afternoon round,  two foursomes played Rolling Oaks, while another
group went to Sugarloaf Mountain.  In our group at Rolling Oaks, two evenly matched teams,
me & John Mayhugh (the Walkers) halved both sides vs. the Riders (Sarge Cullum & Pete
Lavallee).  The match was for drinks after the round, but it was appropriately halved, since the
drinks were paid for already (by those who signed up w/deposit but had to back out).

#3, par 5:

Pete L on #3.....oops.:

Approach to par 5 5th to well-sloped green:

Tree guarding approach to short par 4 #6:

#8, Par 3.  Waterfall on right side of pond not seen here:

#10, par 5:

John M. walks down #10:

John's approach to par 4 #11:

#13, par 3:

Tree guarding right side of par 4, #14:

Redan par 3 #16:

2nd shot on #18, par 5:

Scott_Burroughs

Re: Photos of World Woods (Rolling Oaks) from Dixie Cup '08
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:53:43 AM »
Forgot the aerial, which was AOTD #212 (and my 35th birthday):

Larger version of aerial, click here

Small version:

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 12:57:29 PM »
This is one course I didn't get - yet other friends liked it.

I would like to here other people's opinions on this one - since I've always assumed I missed something when I went around.

What do you like and what don't you like?

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 02:53:01 PM »
Ian,

I agree that it isn't 'great', by any shakes.  It's a very 'nice' course on rolling land, but not
nearly the equal as Pine Barrens, as I've heard some say (not sure if it was the club's marketing department).

SPDB

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 07:59:20 PM »
I like the look of the picture of the 18th. What's the story with that hole (distance, par etc)?
From the aerial it looks like a bit of double dogleg, where there seems to be a huge
premium for hugging the inside of the first dogleg.  I suspect it is a par 5,  but I think
it would be an interesting hole as a short 5 par.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 08:46:56 PM »
Actually the 18th is the most awkward hole there. The landing area for the second shot is very narrow and you usually just end up laying up to around 150. You need to hit two really good shots to play a fairwood second; it can be done mind you, it's just not easy.

To answer Ian's question it does have a very big scale to it; I guess as a tribute to Augusta this would be necessary. The strain of Bermuda on the greens is a little on the slow side which mutes their contours somewhat. I couldn't believe how the addition of Tif Eagle at Pine Barrons made those green contours shine! It seems like they tried hard to be very different from PB at RO and maybe that hurts in the long run.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

SPDB

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 09:09:03 PM »
You need to hit two really good shots to play a fairwood second;... .

Huh?

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 09:21:42 PM »
Both the drive and fairway wood second must be well hit to clear the slope with the second shot to get to the layup area.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

John_Cullum

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 11:55:37 PM »
In other words, the layup has a long option or a close option. It's a risk reward layup. I am still trying to figure the best way to play the hole
Raynor was a hack

Andy Troeger

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 12:01:03 AM »
I thought the back nine had some really good golf--the front was the weaker of the two. I really liked the middle of the back nine especially, it seemed like there was some pretty good elevation change in there for Florida standards. Its not the equal of the Pine Barrens course, but I liked it as well as some of the other "2nd courses" at some other resorts. I'd consider it pretty even with Blackwolf Run's Meadow Valleys course for example.

John_Cullum

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 08:45:08 AM »
Holes 11-17 are as good a collection of 7 in a row as you would find anywhere, and 3 thru 9 are not far behind. 18 makes you really think (or maybe overthink)

I believe the stunning visual appearance of Pine Barrens takes alot oxygen out of the room for Rolling Oaks. When the Oaks greens are running at speed, I have never seen any other course where it is so important to stay below the hole.
Raynor was a hack

Lou_Duran

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 06:45:52 PM »
JC,

#18- Driver, 3 metal, 40 yard pitch, two putts from 20'.  Easy enough.  I would have enjoyed Rolling Oaks much more if the greens putted like its sister course.  I also agree that PB is much more appealing to the eye, and perhaps has a few more high risk reward shots.  Along with the Dunes, there is great, affordable golf in the immediate area.

Scott,

Can you post the aerial for PB?  Thanks.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 12:26:01 AM »
Was there a 'golf dork of the year' award belt this Dixie Cup, in Mike Y's absence?   ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 09:09:06 AM »
Scott,

Can you post the aerial for PB?  Thanks.

Sure.  Haven't done this in awhile (put a new one together)....4 years, maybe?

Also, here's the original AOTD #160, in B&W:

John_Cullum

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 10:12:49 AM »
JC,

#18- Driver, 3 metal, 40 yard pitch, two putts from 20'.  Easy enough. 

But if your drive isn't place well, that 3 wood is very tough, and in any event it brings alot of trouble into play
Raynor was a hack

Adam Clayman

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 11:19:37 AM »
Not having played RO for many many moons, I'm impressed by the low profile nature of the feature shaping, evidenced in these pix.

The 18th is awkward.

Back then, the corporate maintenance use to only do foliar feeding. It gave the blade a weakness that would not hold up your ball in the fairway.

I'm hopeful that with the new independent Super, that has changed?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Lou_Duran

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 04:15:03 PM »
Thanks Scott.

John C- I was being a bit facetious.  Sometimes a hole is much easier before you learn how difficult it really is.  Also, the mind's eye is different for everyone and some holes fit better than others.  I don't recall the hole as appearing awkward to me.

Dick D- the "dork award" did not come up in any conversations I was privy to.  I don't recall the criteria for the award or its recipient in 2007, but there were four guys who drove over 1.5 hours to play C & C's Sugarloaf Mountain after the morning round, three of which drove back for the evening festivities.  Perhaps these fine gentlemen are deserving of the honor.

Adam- I thought that the maintenance at both courses were consistent with the architecture and the price structure.  There were a few difficult lies, but that's part of the game.  I only wish that Rolling Oaks had a newer strain of the Bermuda green hybrids.  Ditto for Brooksville the day before.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 04:16:36 PM by Lou_Duran »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back