News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil_Crafter

MPCC Shore Course - Mackenzie, his plans and 2 completed holes
« on: November 09, 2008, 02:29:59 AM »
In a thread a year or so back Tom Doak mentioned that he had not heard of a surviving plan by Mackenzie for the Shore Course and that it was possible he did one for the course after the completion of the Dunes Course by Mackenzie and Hunter in 1926.

Mackenzie's own words appear to confirm that he did indeed draw plans for the Shore Course. Mackenzie wrote to Sam Morse on 26 January 1932 to discuss the problems he was facing with Joe Mayo, and asking what his position was in regards to the Shore Course of MPCC. He then stated:

"As you know, I did the designing and plans for the Shore Course some years ago and since then I have made many inspections of the ground with a view of obtaining ideas for lessening the cost of construction of the Course and increasing its popularity."

Morse replied to say that, "As far as the Shore Course is concerned it has always been my idea that you should finish that course, although I would not make any binding obligations on something that was so far in the distance......"

Interesting that Morse uses the word "finish" rather than "build", as if to say that it had previously been started.

I have now found a reference in the American Golfer of February 1934 that says,

"The Monterey Peninsula Country Club has had its second course laid out by Dr. Mackenzie. It will be known as the Shore course. Two of the holes have been constructed and are used for practice."

This article suggests that Mackenzie had drawn plans and that two holes had been built. Perhaps this is why Morse used the word "finish" ?

Anyone have any further information to add?

Tom Naccarato

Re: MPCC Shore Course - Mackenzie, his plans and 2 completed holes
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 03:07:11 AM »
Neil,
A while back I did forward Bob Huntley an article I found stating the following: That Robert Hunter was entertaining one Alister MacKenzie, a noted golf expert and writer at his home in Pebble Beach. The article went on to say that they were planning the new Shore Course at Monterey Peninsula Country Club as well as the new Cypress Point course.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 05:10:24 AM »
Tommy
I had forgotten about that article, I have it too.
It's from March 5 1927.

Do you have any thoughts on the 2 holes?

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 10:13:17 AM »
Neil,
I've come across that and some other stuff intimating something got built, but this is the first I've heard of an amount of holes. (as such)

Bob has told me that nothing was ever built there, and frankly he knows so much on the history of MPCC; has seen a lot of stuff, I sort of just kept my ear to the ground since with the thinking there might be a possibility that something was started but not finished and that maybe it would end up being one of those pleasant surprises of a masterful find in the future. A lot of that could have been because of Mayo; or maybe just the over-saturation of golf that was occurring there with the addition of two new courses. CPC and MPCC-Dunes. Maybe that it was just a bit too much at the time.

I recently made contact with a chap who might be of some valuable help and I will ask him if he has ever come across anything in that regard.

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 11:28:32 AM »
Anyone care to speculate which holes, if they had survived, were the ones he did? Could they possibly have survived Bob Baldocks' work? Are there old photos/aerials that we could analyze?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 11:43:34 AM »
Obviously they didn't, and if they were constructed, the first place I would look would be near the clubhouse or practice area. A lot of times during the old days, and MacKenzie wrote about this in Golf Architecture, that it would be just as easy to build one or two holes, which to show the prospective members what the golfing ground would look like, thus enabling them to fund the building of the rest of the course. Not saying that's what happened here, it's probably a logical speculation.  While Morse had a lot of money, maybe the reasoning was just an over-saturation of golf as well as a superintendent/pain in the ass named Joe Mayo who didn't like MacKenzie. and had Morse ear to hold off on the project. (more speculation, but if they (those Philly Boys!) can speculate on Calamity being a inspiration for Merion #3, then this Cal-bred is going to do some speculating of his own! ;)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 12:22:35 PM »
Perhaps he built a couple of holes in Gibraltor-esqe style for the folks at MPCC that eventually became the practice area?

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 03:56:39 PM »
Tommy
I'll be most interested to hear anything else you can find.

I've just checked who the author was of the article from AG, and it was none other than SFB Morse himself! So I think it would be fair to assume that if he said 2 holes have been built that this was not just idle speculation but a certainty. I would agree with the view that they most probably were holes close to the clubhouse and seems they were used as practice/warm-up type holes. I think this explains the use of the word "finish" by Morse in his letter to Mackenzie.

Interested in the views of Bob H and Tom D if they can chime in here.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 05:09:47 PM »
While Morse had a lot of money, maybe the reasoning was just an over-saturation of golf as well as a superintendent/pain in the ass named Joe Mayo who didn't like MacKenzie. and had Morse ear to hold off on the project. (more speculation, but if they (those Philly Boys!) can speculate on Calamity being a inspiration for Merion #3, then this Cal-bred is going to do some speculating of his own! ;)

Tommy,

After reading the somewhat surprising news the other day that Hugh Wilson visited Portrush during his overseas education, I started to look at pictures of the course and was struck at the visual similarity between Calamity and Merion's 3rd, particularly the orientation and shaping of the green.

I threw that pic of Calamity up asking if it was a redan sort of as a trial balloon to see what discussion would result and if anyone else would make the same observation..

Bingo...first post here comes Sully and he picks up on the exact same thing!    Same with Sean Arble..

So, although I now understand that Calamity came after Merion (I didn't know that prior), we also see that Colt was doing similar type holes as far back as 1913 or so, and it's interesting to speculate what the real influences might have been.   

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 09:44:21 PM »
Mike,
What are you doing on a Cal-Bred post?

Wait a second, and Aussie started it! ;)

Honestly, I saw your post and was like, WOW, I could see the similarities and if needed, I'll even plant a picture of you coming out of that bunker on the front right! It wouldn't be hard!

But the fact is that if the features were the same-not a lot was done, then the hole or the place itself could in fact be responsible for some sort of influence and inspiration. I don't disagree with that at all.

But prove that! ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back