News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

In an effort to try and get people to post more photographic tours I would like to know the following.

Based on photos you have seen on this site, which courses that you didn't know much about and aren't at all famous (or at least you didn't realize they were famous), impressed you the most?

CAL CLUB
LEATHERSTOCKING
WOLF POINT
LONG SHADOW
LAWSONIA
FRENCH LICK (Ross Course)
YELVERTON
SEATON CAREW
CAPE FEAR
ANGELS CROSSING
YALE (I didn't know it was so well known until I hit this site)

There are a few more, but I can't remember them!

Which courses that you don't know much about, aren't famous, but learned a bit about on this site, would you most like to see a photographic tour of? 

BLACKMOOR
WHITE BEAR LAKE YACHT CLUB
KIRKISTOWN
CAVENDISH
GOSWICK
ALDEBURGH
EAST DEVON
FORMBY LADIES
CLYNE
REAY

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 04:20:40 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Richard Muldoon

Sean,

1st category;
Perranporth
Painswick
Hankley Common
Yelverton

2nd category (Loose interpretation of 'not famous')
Royal Wimbledon (Went to school in Wimbledon and lived in area for years, yet never got round to playing)
Royal Mid-surrey (Again in same area)
Temple
Flackwell Heath
Broadstone
Ferndown

All of the 2nd category are ones that I could concievably play quite easily and would be interested to see if the photos compelled me to play them or not.

I played Clyne this June and thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend a visit, though not in the winter as I imagine it would be very boggy in places. I did take quite a few photos and if I can discipline my daughters to go bed on time, I might get round to posting them sometime this winter as well as a few others I have visited in the last few years.

Charlie Goerges

Here is an online gallery I found of White Bear Yacht Club. http://golfing.mn/v/wbyc

if you go up a level, you'll find galleries of many Minnesota courses including Interlachen, Minikada and others.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Carl Nichols

From your first group:
Cal Club and Wolf Point.  Probably Sleepy Hollow too (although I have heard from others that Ran's photos may actually may the course look more interesting than it is.)

Andrew Mitchell

Sean
From your first category (and from memory as I'm sure there are several others you've done photo essays for that made me want to visit):
New Zealand
St Georges Hill
Beau Desert

From your second category:
Cavendish
Goswick

Both Cavendish & Goswick are within travelling distance for me and I'd be interested to see if they are worth the journey.  Formby Ladies is also within travelling distance but do I need to wear a skirt to play there?? ;D
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Kalen Braley

Sean,

Great question.  Cal Club and Lawsonia stand out the most to me...they looked simply outstanding based on reviews we saw of them in here.

As for the courses I love to see reviews on.  Its the ones done by a wealthy owner/small group that only does maybe a few dozen rounds per year.  Those almost never make it into any kind of publications or otherwise and always interesting to see what was done there.

Mark_Rowlinson

Andrew, Cavendish is great fun, but only in dry weather. Mid-summer is the time to go there. I have some photos and could let you have them if you e-mail me.

Richard, I doubt if photos of Royal Mid-Surrey could do it justice - it is so very flat. But it is a good course - quite testing. They have lost a number of greens this year, so you need to take advice about how much of the course is in play. I have a friend who is a member and could easily put you in touch.

I don't think Flackwell Heath is worth the journey even from High Wycombe! You can see the only decent holes from the M40. The rest are very uninteresting.

I have lots of photos of Broadstone. If you e-mail me I can let you have them. It is great fun and there are 3 or 4 top flight holes.

markrowlinson@btopenworld.com

Mark Pearce

Andrew,

Goswick's less than an hour from home for me.  I'm sure we can sort out a game. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

J_ Crisham

Charlie, Those pictures make me want to move up next summers trip to Minikada and White Bear Yacht Club!  Thanks for posting the link.
                                                                   Jack

Jon Heise

Lawsonia has rocketed up to the top of my list.  Angel's Crossing has always been there.  I must see those ASAP.

Seeing a lot of the restored Ross and Raynor courses, especially when you can get the before and after images is always a treat.
I still like Greywalls better.

George Freeman

Re: What Are The " No Name" Courses Which Impress the Most - From Photos Only
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 11:52:31 AM »
to name just a few:

Lawsonia
Woking (and pretty much the rest of the Surrey Sand belt)
Kennemar (Netherlands)
Black Creek
Black Rock (Mass.)
Country Club of Charleston
Eastward Ho!
Holston Hills
Kirtland (!)
Yeamans Hall
Chechessee Creek
Old Sandwhich
Easthampton
Bulls Bay
Cal Club
White Manor
Bayonne
Boston GC
Bond Head
Muskoka Bay
Eagles Nest
Morfontaine

All were "no namers" before getting really involved w/ GCA.com
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 03:00:04 PM »
Andrew,

Goswick's less than an hour from home for me.  I'm sure we can sort out a game. 

Mark

Sounds good to me.  I'll IM you.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mike Hendren

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 03:19:32 PM »
1. Fenway
2. Hollywood
3. Yeamans Hall
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

James Boon

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 06:21:03 PM »
Sean,

Your photos of New Zealand and Pennard are two courses that I know would love to play that previously I probably wouldn't have bothered with. There was also a recent thread on Windermere in the Lakes which now interests me!

As Cavendish isn't far for me and I intend to take fellow GCA'er Ben Stephens there at some point early next year, I'll make sure I post a full set of pictures.

Cheers

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 06:36:30 PM »
Two courses I have played which I would not have done, were it not for pictures on here, and which were as impressive in the flesh as on the web were Kington and Beau Desert.  There are many others I have seen photos of on this site which I'd love to play, such as Hankley Common, Painswick and The Addington.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Andy Levett

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 04:15:48 PM »
In an effort to try and get people to post more photographic tours I would like to know the following.

Based on photos you have seen on this site, which courses that you didn't know much about and aren't at all famous (or at least you didn't realize they were famous), impressed you the most?

CAL CLUB
LEATHERSTOCKING
WOLF POINT
LONG SHADOW
LAWSONIA
FRENCH LICK (Ross Course)
YELVERTON
SEATON CAREW
CAPE FEAR
ANGELS CROSSING
YALE (I didn't know it was so well known until I hit this site)

There are a few more, but I can't remember them!

Which courses that you don't know much about, aren't famous, but learned a bit about on this site, would you most like to see a photographic tour of? 

BLACKMOOR
WHITE BEAR LAKE YACHT CLUB
KIRKISTOWN
CAVENDISH
GOSWICK
ALDEBURGH
EAST DEVON
FORMBY LADIES
CLYNE
REAY

Ciao
Goswick would photograph really well, perhaps better than it actually is – a good snapper would have folks making comparisons with Cruden Bay. I’ve been to Goswick several times but always in open comps, too much going on really for taking pix. Has to be up there with the Valley course at Portrush for best not to make any GB&I lists.
I would never have gone to Painswick or Perranporth without GCA and, perhaps, Brora and Machrihanish.
Most impressed by photos, yet to visit: Pennard, The Addington, Beau Desert, Broadstone.
Photo tours would like to see: The Machrie, Purbeck.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 05:04:50 PM »
Jack's Point in New Zealand
Hidden Creek in New Jersey
St. Louis Country Club

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 06:58:01 PM »
To be honest, the 172 pictures of White Bear Yacht Club make me want to totally miss it.  It looks like a tree infested, greens rimmed with thick blue grass, steeple chase. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 07:25:51 PM »
To be honest, the 172 pictures of White Bear Yacht Club make me want to totally miss it.  It looks like a tree infested, greens rimmed with thick blue grass, steeple chase. 

Dick

I have to say the pix didn't inspire me either.  However, I am glad I got a chance to see them.  The whole idea of this thread was to get more pix out of the closet. 

There was a little course in OZ, that was on the sea I saw photos of posted here.  I can't remember the name, but I think M Clayton did some work on it.  Whatever the name is, the course really impressed me.  Anybody know the name and of a link to the pix?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Kirk Gill

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 08:54:38 PM »
Simpson's Morfontaine is certainly not a "no name" course, but I have to admit that I'd never heard of it before I saw a photo essay of the course on this site. Now it's one of the courses in the world that I'd most love to play. On that note, there's probably been a Baltray photo essay on this site, but I just don't remember it.......
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back